Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] All EDA Agents being used up by one report

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] All EDA Agents being used up by one report
 Login/Join

posted
I try to run my report and it uses up all the EDA agents. Why would my report run on multiple agents?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

sbp

Expert
posted Hide Post
if you are in an early version of 71
(i think it was 3 but i can't remember now), there was a problem with a certain type of execution opening up a zillion agents, eating up the machine. it was pretty funny. i don't remember the specifics, i had opened a case, and the situation was replicated, and that version was quickly replaced with the next service pack. so, your post doesn't say what version/platform you're running. Please update your automatic signature in your profile.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
When you cancel your browser session before a report is run it does not automatically cancel the agent.

Possibly this common misunderstanding might explain why this situation is occurring.

Regards

John

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
eating up the machine

We had a misterious case that the memory usage jumpted from normal 88% to 99% and almost crashed our system. We stopped the Webfocus server and the memory usage went back to normal. That probly happended 3-4 times sporadically. We didn't pay attension to how many agents were active at the time.

We also experienced what John described. Does a crashed agent consider an active agent?

Hua

Developer Studio 7.6.11
AS400 - V5R4
HTML,PDF,XLS

Posts: 305 | Location: Winnipeg,MB | Registered: May 12, 2008Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know if there is a way to add an Abort button to the launch page that will kill or stop the agent being used. We have several users that get impatient if a report takes too long, so they will close the browser window and restart the report, causing the first agent to hang in use, and starting a second agent for the new request. This then causes performance issues for the rest of the user base.

Thanks

Kevin

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
We've seen a report eat up all agents a few times when one of our database servers wasn't responding1. It accepted connections and queries just fine, it just didn't return results in any timely fashion and eventually locked up all available agents waiting for their results from that database.

That wasn't a single issue of the report being run though, which appears to be what the OP is seeing?

quote:
Originally posted by Hua:
We also experienced what John described. Does a crashed agent consider an active agent?

A crashed agent is a different story really, but I can confirm that we've seen reports trying to use a crashed agent instead of an available one, which can lead to some unnecessary and rather fruitless debugging if you're not aware of that.

quote:
Originally posted by MO Admin:
Does anybody know if there is a way to add an Abort button to the launch page that will kill or stop the agent being used.

That won't help you, those users aren't going to press an Abort button either.
It is possible though that their new request for the same report ends up in the same (webserver-)session. Perhaps you could somehow figure out the agent ID that handles your report, store that ID and an identifier for the report being run (for example, &FOCFEXNAME) in your session (the foccache should work, I think) and if you find that same report identifier in your session when starting the report, you kill the related agent (-SYSTEM kill &PID) if it is still executing your report. That's a pretty long list of mights and maybes, I don't know if it's really possible (or viable).

1). It's an RDB installation on OpenVMS. WebFOCUS' queries on that which involve joins are so ridiculously slow that we usually just fetch entire table contents and join them in FOCUS - it's faster.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I believe I can get the users to use an Abort button if it were available before closing the browser or restarting the report. However, from what I have found (or I guess haven't found), it doesn't look like that is a possibility. Has anyone ever done this before?

Kevin