Focal Point
[CLOSED] Passing a parameter driven filter to multiple fields

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/7537004776

July 23, 2015, 02:08 PM
Trudy
[CLOSED] Passing a parameter driven filter to multiple fields
I have a table that has four separate fields that a students major may be stored in, Major1, Major2, Major3 and Major4. I have created a report that uses a dynamic parameter filter for Major1, I want to set the other three parameter filters to the values that are selected in the Major1 dynamic parameter filter. Can this be done?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WF8
Windows
July 24, 2015, 03:31 AM
Avinash
For that, You have to do the WF HTML Chaining Control.
May be this will resolve your problem.

Thanks!
@vi

WebFOCUS 8105, Dev Studio 8105, Windows 7, ALL Outputs
July 24, 2015, 04:55 AM
Darryl_uk
Hi Trudy,

Am not sure I understand your question.

If the Major can be stored in any one of 4 data fields then the value(s) selected in field1 may not be a valid value for fields 2, 3 & 4..? And even if they are the filters are now allowing the user to select where the master value is in both field1 AND field2 AND field3 AND field4 - which doesn't sound like what you're after. I would suspect you're after finding students who have the Master in any of the fields - in which case my instinct is to create a file with a column containing all possible Master values from all 4 of your data fields and use this as the filter and in the fex to select where field1 OR field2 OR field3 OR field4 eq param value.

Please accept my apologies if I have misunderstood.

7.7.05 Windows.
July 24, 2015, 10:29 AM
Trudy
Darryl I am definitely using an OR between the fields. My question is how to use pass the selected parameter variable from field1 to the remaing three other fields.

Avinash, is there no other way to do this other than through HTML Chaining?

Thanks T

WF8
Windows
July 24, 2015, 01:36 PM
MartinY
You can do js to extract selected value from Major1 (IBI has pre-build function to do that, assuming that you are using HTML Composer) and then assign this value to other Major2, 3, 4.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007
July 26, 2015, 09:34 PM
StuBouyer
Wouldn't this work?

WHERE Major1 EQ '&MYMAJOR' OR Major2 EQ '&MYMAJOR' OR Major3 EQ '&MYMAJOR' OR Major4 EQ '&MYMAJOR';

Simply add the first parameter to each of the fields - you can overwrite the chosen one in Filter tool in InfoAssist and/or App Studio.

Cheers

Stu

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 (8.2.06 in testing)
July 27, 2015, 04:14 AM
Darryl_uk
My worry (not knowing the data or the requirement!) is still that if this parameter is being driven by values of MAJOR1 that this could miss some major values that only exist in the data in MAJOR2, 3 or 4. I don't know if this is possible or an issue - only you can say if using MAJOR1 as the definitive list of possible values is a problem or not.

7.7.05 Windows.