Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [NO LONGER WORKS] HTML Canvas: How to send both the return & display value? (8105m)
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[NO LONGER WORKS] HTML Canvas: How to send both the return & display value? (8105m)
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
Hey all,

So, we have some reports that require both the return and display value to be passed to the report from an HTML form page that was created for them. Before upgrading to 8105m, one of our user's had selected the "Send display value" option in the Settings panel (for a static list of bound values) to send both and things supposedly worked fine that way. Now, after updating, only the display value is passed for a static list of return/display values passed when the "Send display value" box is checked. Is this how it is supposed to function? If so, how do we get both values to pass now in the latest release?

Any insights are much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CoolGuy,

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
According to the Dev Studio 8.0.08 documentation, check the "Send display value" checkbox to achieve the following: "From HTML Composer, you may send the display value, rather than the actual data, to the parameter. The display value can also be used for headings and footings in the report output". So it sounds like only one of the two options are sent.

As I understood it in Dev Studio 7.7.*, checking the "Send display value" checkbox created two variables, one for the data value and one for the display value, e.g. &P_CURR for data value and &P_CURR_TEXT for display value.

I committed the sin of looking at the code and this is what I found in my HTML page, generated and maintained by Dev Studio HTML Composer:

<SELECT style="Z-INDEX: 159; POSITION: absolute; WIDTH: 220px; HEIGHT: 70px; TOP: 30px; LEFT: 560px" id=P_CURR tabIndex=-1 multiple size=4 defaultselection="1" persistentuniqueid="compUid_207" requiredfield="1" name="P_CURR"></SELECT>
<input_control bindcontrolid="compUid_207" elementtype="9" name="P_CURR" id="P_CURR" multiple="1" onetimepopulated="0" inbinding="1" top="20" left="360" width="60" height="20" textvarname="P_CURR_TEXT">

Here it clearly shows that there is a different variable name for the display value, and I'm pretty darn sure that both are sent to the report.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis,

Yeah, that's how it worked up till now. I just created a sample car report and HTML form page, and if you select "Send as display value", the display value gets passed as the param value in place of the return value now. No &_text# variables are created anymore...

Code tightening maybe? The docs do state it sends the display value instead of the return value...

Expert
posted Hide Post
It seems a ridiculous and unnecessary change in behaviour. It should be obvious to the IBI App Studio/HTML Composer developer (if there is such person) that data values are generally used in filters and display values are used in headings/footings. As they state: "The display value can also be used for headings and footings in the report output".

So, if I use 8.1.05 to create new parameter screens for existing reports, my application will fail. Thanks a lot.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
If you haven't already, try

-? &
-EXIT

at the top of your report and look at everything that is being passed. And I mean everything!

I've seen some strange variable naming used by WebFOCUS when passing display values (I know your issue is with the return value, but maybe it is related to what I have experienced with the display value). Version 8.1.05 seems to operate a little differently sometimes compared to what the documentation says.

Here is what is passed to a report from a drop down box on a project I worked on last year:

&_TEXT18      = Flagged

The choices are ALL, Flagged or Non-flagged. Note the name of the variable... it does not match the display name I chose when working on the report. WebFOCUS just decided to use its own naming scheme for some reason.

The return variable in your situation might be using some kind of default naming scheme as well.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 594 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 04, 2015Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolGuy:
Francis,
...the display value gets passed as the param value in place of the return value now. No &_text# variables are created anymore...

Both the return value and the display value do get sent. For the control (when using App Studio), your return value goes to the amper variable you specify in the "Selection to" box in the "Settings" panel.

The _TEXT variables seem to contain the display name value, and it's really annoying when there are a lot of controls, because it's hard to know which _TEXT variable corresponds to which control. In an ad hoc reporting application with a LOT of controls, it takes a lot of trial and error to get it right.

At least this is the way it works for me on 8.1.05.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 594 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 04, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Squatch,

Not the case in 8105m. You get the display value assigned to the "Selection to" param. "Alfo Romeo Car" is the display value. The &CAR is the param that should have the return value.

Here's what I get:

CURRENTLY DEFINED & VARIABLES:
 &ACCEPTS      =        0
 &APPROOT      = took this out myself
 &AUTOINDEX    = NO
 &BASEIO       =        0
 &CAR          = Alfo Romeo Car
 &CHNGD        =        0
 &DATE         = 09/07/16
 &DBMSERR      =        0
 &DELTD        =        0
 &DMY          = 070916
 &DMYY         = 07092016
 &DUPLS        =        0
 &ECHO         = ALL
 &EXCELSERVURL = took this out myself
 &FOCEXURL     = /ibi_apps/WFServlet.ibfs?IBIF_webapp=/ibi_apps&IBIC_server=ED
 &FOCFEXNAME   = car_test
 &FOCFOCEXEC   = _car_test
 &FOCGRAPHCNT  =        0
 &FOCHTMLURL   = /ibi_apps/ibi_html/S172_14698234351F
 &FOCINCLUDE   = car_test
 &FOCNEXTPAGE  =        0
 &FOCREL       = M728100D
 &FOCSECGROUP  = took this out myself
 &FOCSECGROUPS = took this out myself
 &FOCSECUSER   = took this out myself
 &FORMAT       =        0
 &GOOGLEMAPSAP>=
 &IBIMR_domain = took this out myself
 &IBIMR_folder = took this out myself
 &IBIMR_fullpa>= took this out myself
 &IBIMR_member>= took this out myself
 &IBIMR_user   = took this out myself
 &INDEXIO      =        0
 &INPUT        =        0
 &INVALID      =        0
 &LINES        =        0
 &MDY          = 090716
 &MDYY         = 09072016
 &MR_FULL_FEXN>= car test
 &MR_ITEM_HAND>= car_test
 &NOMATCH      =        0
 &READS        =        0
 &RECORDS      =        0
 &REJECTS      =        0
 &SETFILE      =
 &SORTIO       =        0
 &TOD          = 12.50.51
 &TRANS        =        0
 &WFDESCRIBE   = XMLRUN
 &WF_TITLE     = car test
 &YMD          = 160907
 &YYMD         = 20160907
 &userDescript>=
 -? &
 -EXIT

Expert
posted Hide Post
I would most certainly open a case about this.

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis,

I just did. Will update you all once I hear back.

Expert
posted Hide Post
CG,

I created a basic form to test this. I had a single combo bound to &AA_Var (very original Wink) and set the combo to send display value.

Checking the variables output I get &AA_Var and &_TEXT from that control.

Not sure that is meant to happen but it might be worth getting it checked via a case? It could well be a "feature" that needs some attention!

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Squatch,

Not the case in 8105m. You get the display value assigned to the "Selection to" param. "Alfo Romeo Car" is the display value. The &CAR is the param that should have the return value.

It is the case for me. The _TEXT variables have the display names. BUT my return values don't show up when using:

-? &
-EXIT

The return values just seem to be available for me, in the name specified in "Selection to", and they don't show up when dumping all the amper variables to the screen. I didn't realize that when I suggested you try to see what is being passed.

And by the way, in my ad hoc reporting project, I use static values in a series of drop down controls.

I just realized that I'm not using all the _TEXT variables to get the display names... I ended up creating code in a DEFINE FILE that deduces the display name by testing the return value. So if return value is 1, then display name on the report is "Flagged". I remember now that I gave up on that silly _TEXT nonsense.

UPDATE: I have bad eyesight. I am getting both the return value with the proper amper variable name, AND I'm getting _TEXT variables with display names.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Squatch,

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Thanks for testing on your end. You did this in 8105m, right? Not 8105? It works as you say in 8105, but not in 8105m. At least for us. (We updated both the client and server piece as well as AppStudio.)

I also created a simple single-layer form with 1 combo box.
Tied the form to a test car report that prompts for &CAR.
Selected "Send display value" for a static set of values to be passed to &CAR.
Then, I get the above variables passed. No &_text# in sight. And the display value is assigned to the Selection to param...

I did open a case, and am waiting to hear back now. Thanks!

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Squatch,

Thanks for the update. I don't bother with it either myself. I just DECODE from the return value like you probably did. Another user is the one who decided to use this "feature", and is now feeling the burn.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Workaround(as usual):
In HTML Composer, Parameters Tab, right-click and select Add Parameter. Bind it to Car so there are now 2 variables.
Should pass now...

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Tom,

No dice. Did that. You get a report back, but with 0 lines and output. The display value is used in the WHERE clause and thus nothing...

Expert
posted Hide Post
CG,
Then, I will assume, the user is not populating the XML correctly, appending Car to the actual value.
We are doing this consistently across 100's of forms, so, feel something else is off...

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Tom,

The above is my test that isn't even working for me. I typed "Alfo Romeo Car" in the Display entry box to differentiate the return value from the display value. I continually get the display value in place of the return value when I select "Send display value". There are no signs of any &_text# params in the list that generates. So, you are on the latest client, server, and AppStudio version as well I see?

Our versions:

AppStudio: 8105m gen: 07282016 Packaging ID: 8105M_072916
Client: 8105m gen #: 172 gen date: July 29th, 2016
Server: gen #: 902 release: 81M build/source dates: 7/6/2016 wf jar seq #: 209
wf jar release 8.1.0.6 etc...

Expert
posted Hide Post
Actually had to look!!!
Thought we were on the latest(8.1.05m), but, we're not! Just 8.1.05, MY BAD!!!

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Tom,

No biggie. Thanks for double-checking.

Okay IBI.... What say you? lol

Expert
posted Hide Post
FYI,

In 8.1.04, the Send Display Value send &_TEXT, so you would get an array of &_TEXT.

The fix we found was to (eek) edit the HTM file and add the textvarname (I think) was set to "_TEXT".

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Tom Flynn,

What Reporting Server gen is 8105? I'm having pretty bad issues with gen 882 and 902 and I'm thinking of requesting an older gen where things might not be broken so badly.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
We had issues with 882, but 902 seems good. (With Client 81M)

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
WAZ,

882/902 cant generate the SQL properly when using DBA Security and Clustered Master Joins. I have a case open with IBI on it now. If you don't use one or the other, I think your ok... Maybe. But the second you use both of them, its a problem. I get random tables added to the request that aren't a part of the minimum referenced segment. Big problem from me. I
would suggest running a few SQL traces just to be on the safe side.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Everyone,

NEWS FLASH!!:

My response from IBI regarding my case...

quote:

I tested this in 8105M SP2, 8010, and 7705.

This behavior was broken in 80x and 77x. When select dispaly value was set, it was still ONLY sending the return value, it was not sending both values.

8105M behaves correctly where when send display value is set, it only sends the display value.

This is correct, and expected behavior.

Even though we all know both were being passed...

Docs stating such: Creating Parameters Note it while it's still live...lol

quote:
Note: HTML Composer passes &var_TEXT if the report procedure uses it, regardless of whether the send display value check box is checked or unchecked.

So, starting in 8105m, you can only ever send either the return value or only the display value depending on whether you checked the "Send display value" checkbox or not. There is no longer any &_TEXT variables of any sort from this release moving forward. DECODE will be your constant companion, or some intricate Js add-in, workaround, etc....

My condolences to us.

(starts playing Queen - Another One Bites the Dust... referencing a bit of functionality that would be nice to still have...)

Master
posted Hide Post
Well, That just opened up a huge amount of testing I need to do once I get an answer back on my issue. It was obviously intentionally coded to send both values at one time. Why would you change it? its not like we were taking advantage of some poor syntax.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Master
posted Hide Post
Maybe you can put in an NFR for "New" functionality to be added which would allow the html to send the value as well as an &var_TEXT variable that sends the display value! That would be really useful. I would use that feature if they had it.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
My condolences to us.

(starts playing Queen - Another One Bites the Dust... referencing a bit of functionality that would be nice to still have...)

I find the &_TEXT variables annoying and not very useful the way they work in 8105. You'll get something like &_TEXT3 and you have to find out which control it belongs to. Then if you add or delete controls, &_TEXT3 might suddenly point to a different control.

What would be useful for me would be to have a return variable of, say, &COUNTRY_ID with a display variable of &COUNTRY_ID_TEXT being automatically generated by WebFOCUS and sent to the FEX file as well. When I first read the documentation, this is what I thought was supposed to happen.

Sure, you can use DECODE to work around this IF you are dealing with a control passing static values. But what workaround is there when a control is populated dynamically, with an unknown number of selections to choose from?

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Eric,

I did with my response. Here is a portion of such:

quote:

Despite it being "broken" in earlier releases, it did indeed send both the return and display values whilst being broken. It is even documented as doing such in the link ... provided. The user inquiring about this has made a good case for both needing to be passed. The return value for TABLE request WHERE clauses, etc., and the display value for headers, footers, etc. Can this be added as another checkbox down the road (NFR)? One that says something like "Send both display and return values."?

At least we now know that the behavior has been modified to only send the display value now when that is checked. I will let the ever growing populous of unhappy power-users on the forums know what the consensus is as well as our user and users coming across this limitation in the future.

Squatch,

I agree with you, but at least it was something to work with.

As for dynamic lists, yes, this jabs a big thorn/wrench/I-beam through things...

Expert
posted Hide Post
Pathetic! Who makes these decisions that affect 80-90% of the community. We use them to populate the Parameter sheet of all Excel output.
Time to learn Tableau...

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Tom,

I know the name(s), but I've been asked by the moderator of these forums to stop listing them off here. Sorry.

Tableau looks interesting as well as Microsoft's Power BI. Let me know what you think of it if you go that route, and how it compares. Or if we finally do jump ship, I will chime in myself.