Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Issue with Displaying the "Total"

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Issue with Displaying the "Total"
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi

December . 19803028233.41 December 9978554.15
Total
22226371.19 118818169400.46 60323037.25

We are having an issue with displaying the TOTAL.

If you see,
"TOTAL" is being displayed in the first line followed by the DATA in the next line.

We want the "TOTAL" and DATA in the sameline.

ANy suggestions??

Thanks
Gobi

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 7610
Windows

Posts: 121 | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Gobinath,

There are many posts on this exact problem with many excellent solutions. Use the seacrh facility (top right) to locate them.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Gobi,

Have you got a chance to run the search as Tony suggested? Many thanks for Tony's input. Smiler

Here is suggestion from our FOCUS expert:

The rule is: Title for SUBTOTAL, + Value of Sort Field Must fit under displayed Sort Fields, or the line will break.

Please run the following code with and without the BY BLANK line and see the differences:

DEFINE FILE EMPDATA
BLANK/A10=' ';
END
TABLE FILE EMPDATA
PRINT
     LASTNAME
     SALARY AS 'Salary'

BY BLANK AS ''

BY AREA NOPRINT
BY DEPT NOPRINT
BY PIN AS 'ID Number'
ON AREA SUBTOTAL AS '*TOTAL AREA'
ON DEPT SUBTOTAL AS '*TOTAL'
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
END

Hope this helps. Big Grin

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Years later and I still don't get it.

I ran the code and got this:

Some of the subtotal lines are on one line and some are on two. It sure looks like there's enough space on all the subtotal lines for them to be on one line.

Why don't they fix this, if not for everyone, then just for me?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis,

Please post your code so I can give this a try under 713.

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Mickey,

It's Kerry's example above Francis' output...

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The problem with Kerry's example is that the two sort fields THAT ARE SHOWN (BLANK and PIN) only add up to 19 characters long (10 + 9). Therefore when a value for AREA (A13) comes up that pushes the length of the SUBTOAL title over the 19 character length, the line splits.

'*TOTAL' is 6 characters long
plus 1 character for the blank
plus 4 characters for the word 'AREA'
plus 1 character for antoher blank
plus n characters for the value of AREA (9 for 'CORPORATE')

Using CORPORATE as an example, the total length would be 21 which is more than 19 so the line breaks.

Remove LASTNAME from the PRINT statement and then add it as a BY statement and the problem goes away. this is because the length of LASTNAME (15) is now included in the total available space (19 + 15 = 34) for SUBTOTAL titles.

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Mickey!

This is the first time I've seen the blank characters being mentioned. So this is maybe why I can't get this bl**dy annoying thing to work, I'll not forget counting the blanks next time.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi All,
i am using this code
TABLE FILE HOLD
PRINT
monthname AS ' '
CGR AS ' '
TA AS ' '
monthname AS ' '
TGR AS ' '

ON TABLE COLUMN-TOTAL AS 'Total '

I got the output

October . . October .
November . . November .
December . . December .

Total
5407953.11 39606056389.01 5407953.11

Here Total label,Data field are coming in 2 lines ..... But i want to both in the same line

Please help me to solve this issue

WebFOCUS 7610
Windows

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Bonjour,
In the Old Days, we used to define a Focus variable about like :
JUST_FOR_FUN/A01 WITH CGR = '*' ;

Make a BY JUST_FOR_FUN NOPRINT and use
ON JUST_FOR_FUN to impose precisely what we want Focus to do at the begining or at the end of his Job.

I very strongly hold Focus's hands, cause this foolish (and powerful) child so much likes to make silly jokes. (And varying through the different versions)

Focus Mainframe 7.6.11
Dev Studio 7.6.11 and !!!
PC Focus, Focus for OS/2, FFW Six, MSO

Posts: 134 | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi All

I got the Exact output

when i use TYPE=REPORT,GRID=ON

in the Style sheet

WebFOCUS 7610
Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
... and did you find that using the search and seeing what previous posts had recommended?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Tony ,

No , i tried to use all possible ways of the Style sheet .... and when i use the GRID=ON,

i got this exact output .....

WebFOCUS 7610
Windows

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Seems that I've turned out of the game...
My mother was just cooking your way : trying tricks, again and again, with no great algorythmic ways.
And writing down the recipes that worked, in an impressive lack of order. (But, real great cooking !).

I thought the game was to understand the way Focus worked, and take the best part out of it.
Kind of Stackhanovist cooker.

Ok, I shut up and watch, what you, interesting young fellows do.
Cordialement

Focus Mainframe 7.6.11
Dev Studio 7.6.11 and !!!
PC Focus, Focus for OS/2, FFW Six, MSO

Posts: 134 | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The solution to this issue can be found at the following link: https://www.informationbuilder...scriptions-same-line

Posts: 14 | Location: West Palm Beach | Registered: March 02, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but I'd be very surprised if this would work in EVERY case. If it would, then why didn't someone from Information Builders tell us about this miracle cure ages ago?

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
@Joao, have you noticed a problem with the code that is shown on the page?

All three code examples have an error in them - the close-double-quote is missing from the HEADING line and the next code line slips upwards:

TABLE FILE CAR

HEADING

"Report with a BY statement PRINT CAR MODEL BODYTYPE SEATS DEALER_COST RETAIL_COST SALES LENGTH WIDTH 
HEIGHT WEIGHT WHEELBASE FUEL_CAP BHP RPM MPG ACCEL 

BY COUNTRY 

BY CAR NOPRINT

BY MODEL NOPRINT

BY BODYTYPE NOPRINT

ON TABLE COLUMN-TOTAL

END

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
Missing double quotes in the heading?

Posts: 289 | Location: Houston,TX | Registered: June 11, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
"Missing double quotes in the heading?

- due to a problem in cut-n-paste perhaps.

Francis

posted Hide Post
Francis,

Thanks for your valuable feedback. I'm in the process of making some changes. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again

Posts: 14 | Location: West Palm Beach | Registered: March 02, 2005Report This Post