Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Need Javascript corrected that deactivates a list box

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Need Javascript corrected that deactivates a list box
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
I'm working on an existing launch page. This launch page has a customer name list box. I have to add a second customer name list box. The second customer name list box gets populated dynamically from an external fex. The second customer name list box gets populated the same way and reads a different table than the first customer name list box. Is there a way to not show the second list box if the customer is not in the table that feeds it even though the customer may be in the first customer selection list box? Not sure if this can be done through chaining on the parameter page. Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tamra,

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Michele,
You could build a fex "driver" that checks that second table for the customer. If the customer is not found in it, you could pass the html page a flag that turns the display of the second drop down box off. Basically just create a fex, check if the customer is that table, set a variable to Y or N depending on the result, and then -HTMLFORM your html page into the fex.

You could also do some validation on the second drop down box in the html page. You could make a call to a fex in the onload section of the html page that would return a flag you could test on in javascript to turn the box on and off.

I think WF8 has some built in validation tech in the html composer, could try that method too. Few different ways to get this done.

WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.02
Windows 7, All Outputs

Posts: 141 | Location: Mclean, VA | Registered: December 04, 2012Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I'll do the best I can as I am not that savvy using -HTMLFORM nor javascript. Thanks so much.

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Michele,

Not sure if you do not want to show the second list at all or simply not show any entries in the second box. For sure the chaining on the parameters page is the simplest way to do the latter. You choose your customer from the first box and if there are no entries that match from the second list, then you will get a box with no entries.

If you do not want to show the box at all, there is some basic javascript that you can write to make the second box not show on the html screen. You have to put the second box into its own panel and then either show or not show it in the html.

Hope that helps.

Vivian Perlmutter
Aviter, Inc.

WebFOCUS Keysheet Rel. 8.0.2
(Almost) 1001 Ways to Work with Dates thru Rel. 8.0.2
Focus since 1982
WebFOCUS since the beginning
Vivian@aviter.com

Posts: 191 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: April 29, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Thanks Vivian. I don't want to show the second box at all. I'm working on incorporating some JavaScript and hope it works. I think I also need to do a chaining to another box in addition to JavaScript so this will be a little tricky. Thanks again.

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

Guru
posted Hide Post
I have two radio buttons, each of which has an associated customer list box. When the first radio button is clicked, I'm activating the first customer list box. The customer list box is chained to a report list box. Depending on which customer is selected determines which report will display.

I am having problems when the second radio button is selected. When I click the second radio button, the second customer list box and report list box displays, but when I select a customer from the second customer list box and select a report from the second report list box and run the customer that I selected from the first customer list box and the associated is run.

I need to deactivate the first customer list box and first report list box when I select the second radio button and choose a customer and report. Pasted below is my javascript that contains an error. Can someone tell me where the error is? Thanks.

//Begin function radio1_onclick
function radio1_onclick(ctrl) {
   //*************************************************************************************************
   //* The First Customer radio button was clicked. Display the First Customer box
   document.getElementById("listbox1").style.height = '120px';
   document.getElementById("listbox1").style.width  = '320px';
   document.getElementById("listbox1").style.left   = '210px';
   document.getElementById("listbox1").style.top    = '40px';

//*************************************************************************************************
   //* Uncheck the Second Customer radio button
   document.getElementById("radio2_0").checked = false;
if(document.listbox1_0.checked){
   document.getElementById("listbox1").disabled=true;
   document.getElementById("listbox3").disabled=true;
}else{
 document.getElementById("listbox1_0").disabled=false;
 document.getElementById("listbox3_0").disabled=false;
}

//* Since the First Customer is displayed, be sure the other boxes are hidden
   document.getElementById("customer2").style.height = '0px';
   document.getElementById("customer2").style.width  = '0px';
   document.getElementById("customer2").style.left   = '0px';
   document.getElementById("customer2").style.top    = '0px';
   document.getElementById("listbox10").style.height = '0px';
   document.getElementById("listbox10").style.width  = '0px';
   document.getElementById("listbox10").style.left   = '0px';
   document.getElementById("listbox10").style.top    = '0px';

}
//End function radio1_onclick

//Begin function radio2_onclick
function radio2_onclick(ctrl) {
   //* The Second Customer radio button was clicked. Diaplay the Second Customer box
   document.getElementById("customer2").style.height = '120px';
   document.getElementById("customer2").style.width  = '320px';
   document.getElementById("customer2").style.left   = '210px';
   document.getElementById("customer2").style.top    = '40px';
   document.getElementById("listbox10").style.height = '120px';
   document.getElementById("listbox10").style.width  = '300px';
   document.getElementById("listbox10").style.left   = '550px';
   document.getElementById("listbox10").style.top    = '40px';

//* Uncheck the First Customer radio button
   document.getElementById("radio1_0").checked = false;
if(document.customer2_0.checked){
   document.getElementById("customer2").disabled=true;
   document.getElementById("listbox10").disabled=true;
}else{
 document.getElementById("listbox1_0").disabled=false;
 document.getElementById("listbox3_0").disabled=false;
}

}
//End function radio2_onclick

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Michele Brooks,

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

Expert
posted Hide Post
First of all, to hide an element, use display: none; instead of modifying dimensions.

document.getElementById("customer2").style.display = 'none';

Without completely validating your code (it's too late in the evening for me), when you click on radiobutton1, hide AND disable ALL the controls related to radiobutton2. When you click on radiobutton2, hide AND disable ALL the controls related to radiobutton1. In theory this should only pass the appropriate values.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I suggest to change the ID's of your form elements from "listbox1", "combobox1", etc. to something meaningful. That way it's much more obvious which form control you're modifying in your code.

The names they currently have look like they are names generated by HTML Composer, which doesn't really have enough info to generate more meaningful names.

I usually set both the id and name attribute of controls to the name of the amper-variable that they correspond to.

To add to Francis' sugggestion, to make the listbox visible again after hiding it, you set display = 'block';

Alternatively, you can use the visibility = "hidden"/"visible" property. It's worth a bit of time to learn about those properties and, for example, what's the difference between both.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I have two listbox controls: "listbox1" and "listbox2".

"listbox1" populates with all the cars in the IBI sample CAR file. "listbox2" is static and has only "DATSUN" and "JAGUAR" in it.

Any selection other than "DATSUN" or "JAGUAR" in "listbox1" causes "listbox2" to be hidden.

// After the HTML page loads
function listbox1_ononafterload(ctrl) {
    listbox1_onchange();
}

// When user makes a new selection in "listbox1"
function listbox1_onchange(event) {
    var s = document.getElementById("listbox1").value;
    var id = document.getElementById("listbox2");
    var length = id.options.length;
    var flag = false;

for (var i = 0; i < length; i++) {
        if (s == id.options[i].value) flag = true;
    }

if (flag) {
        id.style.visibility = "visible";
    } else {
        id.style.visibility = "hidden";
    }
}

It's important to understand the difference between the "visibility" and "display" properties.

visibility: Hides the element (control) without removing the browser space it occupies.

display: Hides the element (control) and removes the browser space it occupies, possibly causing other elements on the HTML page to shift position.

More info here: Visibility versus Display properties

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 594 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 04, 2015Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Squatch, thanks for your example. I already have the hidden/visible part figured out. My problem is that when I click on the second radio button and select a customer and report from the associated list boxes, the customer and report that I selected when I clicked the first radio button runs again. I need the correct customer and report to run when I click on the second radio button and run the report. Thanks.

WF 8205, Windows 10
Oracle DBMS
EXL07/PDF Output

Expert
posted Hide Post
You not only have to hide the customer and report but also disable these controls. I assume you have two pairs of controls with the same names (but different IDs).
document.getElementById("customer1").disabled = true;
document.getElementById("customer2").disabled = false;

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post