Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Services stopped
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
I have 2 desktop shortcuts:

(1) Start WebFocus Server with Security OFF has the following command in 'Target' field
%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe /k "set EDAEXTSEC=OFF && D:\ibi\srv71\wfs\bin\edastart.bat"
I got this one from Start / Programs / Info Builders / WebFocus 71 Server / Start With Alternative Security Modes / Start Security OFF

(2) Start ReportCaster Distribution Server has the following command in 'Target' field
D:\ibi\ReportCaster716\bin\schbkr.bat
I got this one from Start / Programs / Info Builders / ReportCaster 716 / Distribution Server / Start Distribution Server (command line)

I run the above 2 commands whenever I restart server and everything (reports & distributions) work fine.
When I look at Services on this machine I see that there are services - WebFocus 71 Server, WebFocus 71 Client, ReportCaster 716. All these services have startup type 'Manual', so these services have status 'Stopped' now.
My questions are:
Can you please explain the difference between 2 commands that I run and these services?
Why my reports and distribution work if these services have status 'Stopped'?

WF 7.6.4, Win XP, SQL 2005

Posts: 42 | Location: California | Registered: August 17, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Probably because whatever you're using to start them from the START menu is running them (interactively or in background) in batch mode - they're not running as a service. Set them as automatic and restart the server and you won't need to run those command any more on server reboot.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi,

The report caster and the reporting server in your case are registered as services but with manual start.
When you launch them the way you did it from the start manu the service page does not get updated since the services registered with the os does not have the same ID as the one you started.
Therefore I suggest that when you need them just go to the service page and restart them .

WebFocus 7.6.5
AND WebLogic server as web server
sql2005 as database server

Posts: 273 | Location: Europe | Registered: May 31, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
The available services (under services.msc) do not match the above 2 commands. So how do I set these 2 commands ((1) Start WebFocus Server with Security OFF and (2) Start ReportCaster Distribution Server)
to run as services?
Thanks

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Services don't startup the same way batch processes do (th 2 commands you refer to.) That's why they "do not match." This is all documented very well in the WebFOCUS and Report Caster Installation and Configuration manual including starting up services, server security, etc. It is available online @ http://documentation.informationbuilders.com

BTW: I would beware of running the WF server with security OFF. Nasty things could happen if someone wanted to do damage.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Seva,

Can you please tell me why you want to start these 2 services this way?.

Majid.

WebFocus 7.6.5
AND WebLogic server as web server
sql2005 as database server

Posts: 273 | Location: Europe | Registered: May 31, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
According to page 3-10 of 'WebFocus and ReportCaster Installation and Configuration' manual -
"How you start WebFocus Reporting Server depends on security level".
Just a note - security levels described on page 1-14 of the same manual.
I'm trying to start it with securiy OFF, so per page 3-10 I can use only Start, Programs,... which is the same what I do (I just have desktop shortcut). But this not should be the case because it requires a user to be logged onto the machine interminably. I should be able to run the same WebFocus Reporting Server as Service. But per page 3-10 I can run WebFocus Reporting Server as Service only if security is ON

Gold member
posted Hide Post
If you want to start the WFRS automatically as a service but with security off you can do that in the Log On tab of the service properties. Uncheck Local System Account, check This Account and enter your user id or a dummy id that you can set up on the machine. The service will start automatically and security will be off.

WF 7703M, XP/Win7, MRE, RC, BID, PMF, HTML, PDF, Excel 2000/7/10

Posts: 73 | Location: NY | Registered: February 06, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Seva,

On a Windows machine the default security mode is OPSYS when starting the server as a service. If you would like to change this then you have to create a System Environment variable called EDAEXTSEC and set it's value to OFF

From then on whenever the server is started as service it will start with Security OFF

Let me know if this doesn't do what you want

Cheers

Stu

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 (8.2.06 in testing)

Posts: 253 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post