Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [FIXED] Working with large flat file gives no results

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[FIXED] Working with large flat file gives no results
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
I'm still working in an old version of mainframe FOCUS and am trying to run a program that uses a huge (350 cylinders!) flat file. When I try t0o do a simple TABLE FILE against the flat file, with no criteria, I get absolutely nothing for my output. I've increased the size of my sort regions, but still, nothing.

If anyone has an idea or two, I'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: webmeister,

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Is there data in the file?
Did you try a recordlimit of 1 or 10?
Are you sure it is reading the correct mfd?
Do you have the file allocated correctly?
Did you try tableF so it does not use the internal matrix?

Kathy Phillips
Web FOCUS 8.2.05.14, 8.1.05, 8.08, 8.0.7, 8.0.5,8.0.2m, 7.6.10,7.7.03
Windows

Posts: 118 | Location: Livonia, MI | Registered: March 27, 2009Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi, Kathy,

01) Yes
02) No
03) Yes
04) Yes
05) No

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'll work with the ones I replied to with "No" and see what comes out. It's just interesting that when I had a file with about half as many records that the program worked well. I appreciate your replying.

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Can you show us the maser file? I would suggest putting the location of the data file into the master file just to make sure the MFD you are using is pointing to the correct location of its data. This would look something like:

FILE=FLATFILE, SUFFIX=FIX, DATA=WF.PROD.DATA.FLATFILE

where the DATA= is the location of the dataset holding the flat file

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Sure! Here's the master I've been using:

$*****************************************************************        
 $***                                                                      
 FILENAME=STUDENT,SUFFIX=FIX                                               
 $*****************************************************************        
 SEGNAME=ONE,SEGTYPE=S0                                                    
   FIELD=STUDSSN      ,ALIAS=STUDSSN  ,A09  ,A09  ,TITLE='STUDENT SSN  ',$ 
   FIELD=STUDID       ,ALIAS=STUDID ,  A09  ,A09  ,TITLE='STUDENT ID   ',$ 
   FIELD=STUDNAME     ,ALIAS=STUDNAME  A60  ,A60  ,TITLE='STUDENT NAME ',$ 

The program is run in an MVS/TSO environment, and so my data file is a cataloged data set, which should be found by the program. I get absolutely no errors, but as my log file shows, I get no records:

TABLEF FILE STUDENT                                  
  PRINT STUDID STUDNAME                                
  BY STUDSSN                                           
  WHERE RECORDLIMIT EQ 1000                            
  ON TABLE HOLD AS STUD FORMAT FOCUS INDEX STUDSSN     
  END                                                  
0 HOLDING FOCUS FILE...                                
0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE=        0  LINES=      0  

This has me confused...

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
So do you have a DYNAM ALLOC (FILEDEF) somewhere to associate the data file with the master file? WF will not find the data for a flat (FIX) file without one. As I mentioned earlier, try putting the DATA= section in the MFD. That should resolve the problem.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Yes, my DYNAM ALLOC (FILEDEF) is in my FOCEXEC. Incidentally I am running mainframe FOCUS, not WF but I guess it would be similar.

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Expert
posted Hide Post
Please show us the DYNAM ALLOC command.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Actually, I got it working! What I did was to delete the MVS/TSO file I had previously uploaded, reallocated the file to have 80 character records with a blocksize of 80, and then FTP'ed my PRN file back onto MVS/TSO. That solved my problem. Not really sure, but it looks like the blocksize I was previously using caused records to be stair-stepped and so when I smoothed out records to be 80 characters, the stair-stepping disappeared.

I wish to thank all of you who replied to my plicht and to all who offered help, thoughts and suggestions. Thank you all so very much!

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
do you have something like an ACX file?

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
It would have been interesting to see the DCB's of the dataset.

Also, you could have checked the file by, assuming you have ISPF, editing the file.

I think that you could have read the file if the correct DCB info was given in your DYNAM ALLOC, that is LRECL and RECFM

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Frank,

I don't have any idea what an ACX is. I'm running an antiquated version of mainframe FOCUS.

Waz,

Those thoughts are good, but a little "after the fact," so to speak. In any case, re-allocating the file prior to loading it to the mainframe gave it a good DCB. And, the way we discovered the problem was by editing the file and looking to the rightmost "edge" of the file.
It was little frustrating, especially when we got no error messages.

Thanks to you both for replying...it's appreciated.

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't have any idea what an ACX is

An ACX file is a file describing where the data is coming from. These usually are used for RDBMS's, and some other file types.

For a flat file, you won't need it.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post