Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SHARING] Webfocus Server Installation

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SHARING] Webfocus Server Installation
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
We currently have our Reporting Server on an iSeries, and the web server running Tomcat on a windows server. All version 7.6.10.

We plan to upgrade to 7.7.02, but due to Dev Studio performing horribly, ibi recommended moving the reporting server to a windows environment. We query 98% of files residing on the iSeries.

The final twist is that we have membered files on the iSeries which require the Heritage adapter, so I have to keep the reporting server currently running on the iSeries to run that adapter since it apparently is not supported on the windows platform. We plan on keeping the server and not upgrading it on the iSeries just to run the adapter since I don't think upgrading it will make a difference.

Hoping for your opinions if any of this sounds practical or insane. Thanks ahead.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

version 8202M
Reporting Server on
Windows Server using DB2 Connect to access data from iseries.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
First of all, I do not have experience on iSeries so take my recommendations with a grain of salt. Here are the questions I would ask:

1. Are there must-have features in 7.7.02 that are compelling you to upgrade at this time?

2. Are those features from question 1 part of WFServer 7.7.02, or WFClient 7.7.02? I run 7.7.02 Client against 7.6.x servers without trouble in an all-WinNT environment.

3. How important is Dev Server vs. Web-based access? Are the majority of your users running their day-to-day work via Dev Studio, or are they running via web-interface? This is a time-is-money question -- what's the ROI of having Dev Studio running slowly while the remainder of your system doesn't have to change?

I generally advise my customers to stay relatively close to the most recent release but not on it, and 7.7.02 is a pretty significant change. It has some very nice features, but it sounds like you're going to need to make a pretty big change to your infrastructure. If 7.7.02 wasn't giving me a must-have increase in capabilities I'd hold off and revisit the question in six months.

J.

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post