Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Saving a Hold file to a PC

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Saving a Hold file to a PC
 Login/Join

posted
Is there a way to save an Excel file directly to my PC using Hold and Filedef? I get the following message after submitting report but cannot locate the file.

0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE= 1529 LINES= 66
0 EXL2K FILE SAVED ...

Filedef is:
FILEDEF ARTRNFR1 DISK c:\artrnfr.xls

HOLD Statement is:
ON TABLE HOLD AS ARTRNFR1 FORMAT EXL2K

Our training manual seems to imply that I can send output directly to a PC folder. We are using Webfocus Developer Studio 7.1.

Thanks

Posts: 5 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: October 21, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Try

ON TABLE PCHOLD AS ARTRNFR1 FORMAT EXL2K

------------------------------------------------------------------------
PROD: WebFOCUS 7.6.2 on Unix AIX/Tomcat/Servlet Mode
TEST: WebFOCUS 7.6.2 on Unix AIX/Tomcat/Servlet Mode

Posts: 210 | Location: Ottawa | Registered: November 03, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Is there a folder on the c drive that you where you want this to go? You don't seem to have that Filedefed.

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Is WebFocus running locally? If not then the C drive reference in your filedef is on the server running WebFocus.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies.

If I choose PCHOLD won't that cause the output to go to the browser? If so, I would rather have the output go directly to a PC.

For testing, I just wanted the output to go to my PC's C: root directory. Eventually I will specify a folder.

WebFocus is not running locally, it runs on a Solaris box.

Thanks

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, you're right, that didn't do what I thought it would do!

Hopefully someone will provide the answer, if none of the other suggestions applied.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
PROD: WebFOCUS 7.6.2 on Unix AIX/Tomcat/Servlet Mode
TEST: WebFOCUS 7.6.2 on Unix AIX/Tomcat/Servlet Mode

Posts: 210 | Location: Ottawa | Registered: November 03, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Tino,

Unless you run the process through ReportCaster, PCHOLD, then do a SAVE AS is the only option, has been, always will be. The WF Reporting Server has no idea where your C: drive is...

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
That is what I was afraid of. Thanks for all replies....

Expert
posted Hide Post
tino
if you know your computer name on your network (properties box) , and if your server has sufficient rights, you can
FILEDEF MYBOOK DISK \\mycomputername\C$\myfolder\MYBOOK.xls
TABLE FILE CAR....
ON TABLE HOLD AS MYBOOK FORMAT EXCEL
END
..give that a try.
For EXL2K output, there are multiple files in the output , and it takes a bit of work.
In production,
you could maintain a list of computernames for each of your users.
If your users are using IE, you can take a look at this article on the Focus on Developers section.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Another option is to use an external script or batch file to ftp the file directly to a server. Again, like susannah says, you have to work at it, have permissions, etc. Our Reporting Server is Linux. Out systems group has set up a generic id that I use to ftp any file from our Reporting Server to any Windows server on our network. The generic id can only write in one specific folder. Users know to go to that folder to get their reports. This is a good way to get a lot of people access to a large report without tying up email bandwidth.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post