Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Reportcaster, Excel Reports, and OWA (Outlook Web Access) Help

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Reportcaster, Excel Reports, and OWA (Outlook Web Access) Help
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
We are in the process of moving our email from Lotus Domino to M$ Exchange and we have ran into the problem with OWA and .xls/xlm files.

We have a large number of report that are distributed to our users in EXCEL format which is stripped out when opened by OWA. I don't like the idea of switching all the reports to .zips in RC, so I am searching for a better solution. I know one option is to use a file converter like CZ-Excel. That would mean that we have to add it to all the reports, and does anyone recommend another converter over CZ-Excel?

Has anyone came up with any other solutions?

TIA

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

------------------------------------------
DevStudio 8.2.03
WFS 8.2.03

Posts: 86 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: May 10, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Trob,
Sounds like your already aware of the workaround documented in the release notes?
(Page 147 of the wf 76x release notes “opening excel files using outlook web access mail client”); it's an owa issue (a microsoft doc link is given in the above release notes section).
The only other option may be upgrading ms office to 2007, where you may get a warning message, but it should open ok.

WebFOCUS 8202 Win 2012
Test - WebFOCUS 8203 on Win 2012

Posts: 173 | Registered: November 16, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Well now I'm back on this project. I agree its partially "an owa issue" but its also kind of lame the way Webfocus "integrates" with excel by distributing an xlm file instead of an excel binary. The version of ms office is non-dependant on the problem, OWA will strip any xlm file that Webfocus distributes. The .zip workaround is also not a reliable workaround because then you are dependant on making sure those that you are distributing to can receive .zips and have the utility to open them.

I looked into CZ-excel which requires you to install Office on the same machine as CZ. I would discourage this solution for two reasons. I'd rather not install Office on my server, and second if I did install Office it already has a batch conversion feature built in so then you would not need CZ.

I'm going to begin looking at other options at this time.

------------------------------------------
DevStudio 8.2.03
WFS 8.2.03

Posts: 86 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: May 10, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi trob,

If you do not agree that this is a Microsoft issue, then the best channel for assistance will be to open a case with Information Builders' Customer Support Services. The phone number is 1-800-736-6130, or access online at InfoResponse.

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
<JG>
posted
trob, you can’t blame IB because Microsoft have imposed a feature in OWA that is not in a single one
of their other e-mail clients.
Just like you can’t blame IB because Microsoft removed support for templates/macros in web archives in Excel 2007.

It is universally agreed that what Microsoft did with the introduction and then imposition of "Safe HTML"
in OWA was very badly managed and true to Microsoft’s general arrogance to customers wishes and needs subsequently ignored.

Microsoft’s only offerings as to a work round are either send the file as a zipped attachment
or make it available via a link that can then be opened from the client.

If you want to use a converter to be able to send a binary .xls file try looking at the
ABC Amber Converters from Processtext Group http://www.processtext.com/index.html.
They do not require Excel o the server.

As an alternative to using OWA you might want to investigate using RPC over HTTPS
This allows you to use the outlook client over the internet.

Report This Post