Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
FIXFORM Error
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi,
I am facing an issue which is similar to the discussion in the following URL.
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/...921018331#6921018331
As per Pietro's suggestion, I would be removing the APP HOLD statement in my code, which was previously used.
However, I just wanted to confirm my understanding WRT the discussion. FYI I am using a number of 'ON TABLE HOLD AS TEMP FORMAT FOCUS' statements which result in FOCUS files getting created. I require these FOCUS files to be present for the respective users which use my report. Hence if user A logs into my report, a FOCUS file should be created for him/her. Simultanesouly if user B logs into the same report from a separate machine, there would be separate FOCUS file created for him/her. Essentially, I would want the two (or more) users to have their own sets of FOCUS files which do not cross each other's path.
As per the discussion, is this possible by removing the APP HOLD statement from my code?
My second question is that, how then, WebFOCUS would create the FOCUS/Master files for the separate users and where will they be stored in the server? Not that I need to access them separately, but I wanted to know for my knowledge and understanding.

Please let me know if you need more information regarding this issue.

Regards
Syed

Using WF 7.1.4 through Citrix. Database - DB2.

Using WF 7.1.7/Dev Studio

Posts: 189 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: July 12, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Syed,

FILEDEF file DISK C:\temp\file.ftm will place any data held or saved as "file" to the location specified on the server hard drive.

FILEDEF file DISK file.ftm will direct the output to a folder within the EDATEMP directory.

Each WF session is run in an "agent" which is basically a tscom3.exe task. Each "agent" is assigned a number and has it's own folder under EDATEMP named "tsnnnnnn" where nnnnnn is the agent number with leading zeroes.

No agent would normally have access to another agents folder unless specifically filedef'd (and why would you want to do that? see following) and as each agent finishes processing the relative folder is cleared out and two temporary files created fo WF use(?) - stderr.log and stdout.log. The only exception is when SET TEMPERASE = OFF is set on an agent (not advisable).

If you want a users specific file(s) to "hang" around then I would suggest making the output filename specific to the user by prefixing or suffixing the filename with the User Id (see various other posts on how to do this). If you use FOCUS files then I would also advise that you create the file in the EDATEMP (as normal) and then perform a platform specific "copy" of the .foc and .mas files to an application folder (my current client uses "usertemp" specifically for this). For instance, in Windowse it might be -
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM RCOST DCOST
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL
ON TABLE HOLD AS MYCAR FORMAT FOCUS
END
-RUN
CMD COPY MYCAR.FOC C/IBI/APPS/USERTEMP/MYCAR.FOC
CMD COPY MYCAR.MAS C/IBI/APPS/USERTEMP/MYCAR.MAS
-* This could changed to this to copy both in one command -
-* CMD COPY MYCAR.* C/IBI/APPS/USERTEMP/MYCAR.*

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tony! That was indeed helpful.
One more question - what is the limit of the size of the database which WebFOCUS can handle WRT FOCUS files? So if I have several users logging in at the same time, according to your explanation, WF will create those many FOCUS files in specific user folders. Hence the size of the WebFOCUS database (FOCUS files together) can grow to a considerable extent if many users are working on the same report simultaneously.
Hope I'm clear in my question. Let me know if you need more details.

Regards
Syed
Using WF 7.1.4 through Citrix. Database - DB2.

Expert
posted Hide Post
yes, but as soon as the user finishes the report, that temporary agent directory in the edatemp file empties out or goes away. As T says, their contents aren't around anymore for the user to continue to report against. Same for any other temporary files created by your reporting fex, regardless of whether they're foctemps (.ftm) or focus (.foc) or whatever.
The size of the edatemp directory and its agent subdirectories could indeed grow to , as you say, 'a considerable extent', but only in that every execution of [i]any[/] fex anywhere in your system causes the creation of an agent subdirectory, which vanishes or dumps when the fex is finished. So the number of full agents at any one time is the number of users/fexes active at any one point in time, regardless of what mischief each is up to.
just a note: it may not be at all necessary for your reporting fex to be generating a focus file..foctemps may do the trick.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: susannah,

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Great! Thanks a lot Susannah for the clarification. It indeed helped me in understanding how WF works WRT FOCUS files.
And yeah - I do understand that the temp file (ON TABLE HOLD AS <> FORMAL ALPHA/BINARY etc.) may be used instead of FOCUS files, but my code requires FOCUS file to be persistent for some of the cases, hence i'm going with a FOCUS file creation.
Thanks again!

Syed

Expert
posted Hide Post
then be sure to do what T says, and make some non-agent , non-edatemp directory for these semi-permanent extract foc files. One soltuion is to have a directory for each user,and filedef fromyour fex to that directory
USE
D:\IBI\APPS\&USER|\MYFILE.FOC
END
..however you go about grabbing your userid.
and be sure to clean them up from timeto time.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Sure. Will keep in mind.
Thanks for the pointers!

Regards
Syed