Focal Point
[SOLVED] WF8 fex to read the files in the app folders

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/7657005276

September 03, 2014, 04:36 PM
Doug
[SOLVED] WF8 fex to read the files in the app folders
Is it possible for a fex to read the contents of the app folders for PDF files? Something like syscolum? What is the source table for such a request? I want to do an APP DELETEF on a bunch of files the have been held on the data servers and need a good way to see what's there.

Thanks in Advance for your insight...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206
September 03, 2014, 05:57 PM
Francis Mariani
This creates a report for all the app folders. It uses FOCAPPL AND FOCAPPQ commands (heaven knows where these are documented). I hope the comments in the code are self-explanatory. You can use the last TABLE FILE to narrow your search and then use a DIALOGUE MANAGER loop to delete your files.

-* list files in all app folders

-SET &ECHO=ON;

-* determine list of app folders
APP LIST HOLD
-RUN

-* allocate hold file that will contain focappq info for all app folder * important: append
FILEDEF HOLDFOCAPPQ DISK holdfocappq.ftm (APPEND
-RUN

-* read an app folder name into a variable
-READFILE FOCAPPL
-RUN

-* process each app folder
-REPEAT LOOP_END WHILE &IORETURN EQ 0;

-* create a list of all files in the specified app folder
APP QUERY '&APPNAME' HOLD
-RUN

-* add the list of files of the specified app folder to the list of files for all folders (appended)
TABLE FILE FOCAPPQ
PRINT *
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLDFOCAPPQ FORMAT ALPHA
END
-RUN

-* read an app folder name into a variable
-READFILE FOCAPPL
-LOOP_END

-* create a report
TABLE FILE HOLDFOCAPPQ
PRINT *
WHERE FILENAME CONTAINS '.pdf'
END
-RUN

And, Heavens to Betsy, it works in WF 8.0.08.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
September 04, 2014, 01:00 PM
Francis Mariani
The FOCAPPL AND FOCAPPQ commands are documented in "Developing Reporting Applications Release 8.0 Version 08".

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
September 05, 2014, 11:11 AM
Doug
Thanks Francis,
quote:
heaven knows where these are documented
I see that you were in touch with Heaven... Smiler
September 05, 2014, 01:32 PM
Doug
That's GREAT Francis... I did need to add a -SET for &APPNAME as it prompted me for it as an undeclared variable. But, this is in 8004. tahnks Again...
September 05, 2014, 01:39 PM
Doug
OK, I know this is pushing my original request... But, how about something similar for fexes in the content folders? Big Grin
September 05, 2014, 02:23 PM
Francis Mariani
I haven't done that yet, but I am quite interested in doing so.

The content is in a database, so I think you can add a data adapter connection to the CONTENT REPOSITORY (I'm capitalizing until I get bored, this appears to be the almighty location for life, the universe and everything) and then create metadata for the tables in the database.

Francis

September 05, 2014, 02:37 PM
Doug
Thanks Francis, That's what I suspected... We should, imho, have easy access to that DB... I'll be checking this out as well and checking back often... Smiler

quote:
the almighty location for life, the universe and everything
... and even Heaven itself if they get do that...
September 05, 2014, 02:39 PM
Doug
BTW: I added a bunch or DEFINEs to do a count by appname across filetype and it works well... thanks again
DEFINE FILE HOLDFOCAPPQ
FILETYPE/A16 = IF FILENAME CONTAINS '.acx'  THEN 'ACX'
          ELSE IF FILENAME CONTAINS '.mas'  THEN 'MAS'
          ELSE IF FILENAME CONTAINS '.foc'  THEN 'FOC'

September 15, 2014, 10:54 AM
eric.woerle
Doug,

Are you in WF8 or WF7? In 8 you should be able to query the table that holds the fex's directly, although I haven't had enough time with 8 yet to know what I need to ask for. I feel like Wep or someone else posted a thread about doing just that a while back.

If you figure it out, let me know because that will be something I'll want to know eventually.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2