Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Joining to different databases

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Joining to different databases
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
I thought this would be easy. I wanted to use an existing SQL table to select order numbers for a calculated date range. Then use that list to select records from one of our Universe databases to extract information from it. I used the following code (sorry if I paste anything wrong - still fairly new on this):

-SET &TODAY = &YYMD;
-RUN
SET HOLDLIST = PRINTONLY
DEFINE FILE SALES_CURR_PREV_FY_US
CURR_DATE/YYMD=&TODAY.EVAL;
START_MONTH/YYMD=DATEADD(CURR_DATE, 'M', -3);
START_DATE/YYMD=DATEMOV(START_MONTH, 'BOM');
END
TABLE FILE SALES_CURR_PREV_FY_US
SUM
     'SALES_CURR_PREV_FY_US.SALES_CURR_PREV_FY_US.ORDER_NUM/A10V'
BY 'SALES_CURR_PREV_FY_US.SALES_CURR_PREV_FY_US.ORDER_NUM' NOPRINT
WHERE ( SALES_CURR_PREV_FY_US.SALES_CURR_PREV_FY_US.GL_DATE_MDYY GE START_DATE ) AND ( SALES_CURR_PREV_FY_US.SALES_CURR_PREV_FY_US.GL_DATE_MDYY LE CURR_DATE );
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE HOLD AS LEDHOLD FORMAT ALPHA
END
JOIN
 LEFT_OUTER LEDHOLD.LEDHOLD.ORDER_NUM IN LEDHOLD TO UNIQUE
 LEDGER_LOG_US.LEDGER_LOG_US.@ID IN LEDGER_LOG_US TAG J0 AS J0
 END
TABLE FILE LEDHOLD
PRINT 
     'LEDHOLD.LEDHOLD.ORDER_NUM'
     'J0.LEDGER_LOG_US.@ID'
     'J0.LEDGER_LOG_US.ORDER_CMTS'
HEADING
""
FOOTING
""
WHERE RECORDLIMIT EQ 10
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF 
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON

This resulted in the following output:

ORDER_NUM @ID ORDER_CMTS
S4488178 . .
S4515175 . .
S4856343 . .
S4895379 . .
S5365942 . .
S5791190 . .
S5832861 . .
S5840952 . .
S5976381 . .
S5989810 . .

If I reverse the JOIN of the files (and make it an INNER join) I get the following error:

0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE= 314295 LINES= 182493
(FOC1070) VALUE FOR JOIN 'FROM' FIELD OUT OF SEQUENCE. RETRIEVAL ENDED

My first question is can anyone explain why I get an error one way but not the other?
I think it has more to do with the Universe which uses PICK databases (which are non-relational). Can anyone provide me with some wisdom on when or how to join databases? I have had training on JOIN's but it all works great when it is in SQL format. It seems to me that it should be straight forward to join a value from a hold file to the key of another database. What am I missing?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Glenn C.,

WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Windows
all output (Excel, HTML, PDF)

Expert
posted Hide Post
What is the format of the LEDGER_LOG_US.LEDGER_LOG_US.@ID in the LEDGER_LOG_US table ?

Also Swapping the join around requires either the hold file to be sorted in the right order or changes to a FOCUS with the ORDER_NUM field indexed.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
The format of LEDGER_LOG_US.LEDGER_LOG_US.@ID is A10V which is the same ORDER_NUM in the hold file.
I'm wondering does LEDGER_LOG_US need to be indexed for the join to work?
I just find it very strange that I don't get an error at all. I checked the source to make sure.

WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
Typically you don't have to have the join field in SQL indexed, but with Universe, I am nut sure.

I also would have thought that at lease one record would match as well.

The other option is to extract the table into a hold file and index the field there, and join to it.

Are you able to verify that the contents are exactly the same. e.g. one has a leading space, etc

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Add
?FF LEDHOLD
-EXIT

after the JOIN, and post the output.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hold alpha is not the best way to join

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Here is the output from the FF LEDHOLD:

FILENAME= LEDHOLD
ORDER_NUM E01 A10V
@ID @ID A10V
@ID1 @ID A10V
PRINT_LOG PRINT_LOG A10V
ORDER_CMTS ORDER_CMTS A100V
BID_FOLLOWUP_DATE BID_FOLLOWUP_DATE YYMD
BID_FOLLOWUP_USER BID_FOLLOWUP_USER A10V
BID_FOLLOWUP_CMTS BID_FOLLOWUP_CMTS A40V
BID_FOLLOWUP_ACK BID_FOLLOWUP_ACK I11
MANIFEST_ID MANIFEST_ID A16V
COMPLETE_DATE COMPLETE_DATE YYMD
PICKERS PICKERS A15V
STAGING STAGING A15V
SHIPVIAS SHIPVIAS A8V
TRACKNOS TRACKNOS A15V
WEIGHTS WEIGHTS A7V
FREIGHTS FREIGHTS I11
ACTION_DATE ACTION_DATE YYMD
HANDLING HANDLING I8
CHARGES CHARGES I11
ACTION_CODE ACTION_CODE A10V
TRIG_NOTIFY TRIG_NOTIFY A10V
NEXT_CALL_DATE NEXT_CALL_DATE YYMD
LOCKED_UPDATE LOCKED_UPDATE A13V
PREV_PRINT_STAT PREV_PRINT_STAT A2V
CURRENT_PRINT_STAT CURRENT_PRINT_STAT A2V

Frank,
I did try holding it to a FOCUS database and received the same results however. I did not index however. Any better suugestions?

WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Windows

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I would try to put the other database also in a focus temperary table with an index and sorted in a logic way

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I found out in the end that I could not extract directly from this file due to row size issues.
Thanks to everyone who replied.

WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Windows