Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SHARING] TIBCO and IBI

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SHARING] TIBCO and IBI
 Login/Join

posted
Today's the day: https://www.tibco.com/press-re...information-builders

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

Sincerely,

Doug Lautzenheiser
Multiple products (FOCUS, WebFOCUS, iWay), releases (4-8.2), platforms (e.g., MVS, OpenVMS, Linux, iSeries, Windows), databases (e.g., Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, IMS, Hyperstage, etc.), integrated technologies (e.g., C/C++, R, Python)
Currently doing great things on WF8.2

Posts: 7 | Location: Midwest United States | Registered: February 14, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hey! My stock options have finally come ho. . . oh wait the stingy owners never offered stock options.

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
TIBCO is in Palo Alto, CA.

That's good, right? :-)

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
LOL.. They weren't stingy they have always been privately held. I have been with them for 28 of the 45 years and sad this day has come, but WebFOCUS will live on...

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Any timelines yet for
how long WF will be supported and if new versions will continue to be released?
If FOCUS language will survive?
ReportCaster?
How much Spotfire might change?

8.2.03 AIX Client Windows Tomcat
DB2, Terradata, SQL, Oracle

Posts: 56 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas USA | Registered: January 27, 2012Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FP Mod Chuck:
... they have always been privately held...

i thought Goldman had a significant share?

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.

Posts: 454 | Location: Europe | Registered: February 05, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
No timelines on anything yet, the deal won't be finalized until after November 31th (the end of Tibco's Fiscal year).

Your right Goldman Saks invested into IBI but it was about 20% and they left Gerry alone to run it still. We were never a publicly traded company which I personally liked because there was no fear of a hostile takeover by the likes of Oracle or IBM.

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'll agree with the privately-owned observation. I started with a privately-owned company (IBI) in 1998 and have been with several ever since, and I don't miss my prior publicly-owned companies one bit. A much steadier hand on the wheel in private companies.

Being purchased by TIBCO actually means being purchased by Vista Equity Partners, an "American investement firm" that invests in software companies. Here's hoping they have an interest in keeping WebFOCUS' installed base up and running in the future.

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This was just posted on myibi by Rob Fosnaugh the Sr. Manager Enterprise Information from Brotherhood Mutual Insurance.

We utilize Scribe to get data out of Microsoft Dynamics. Scribesoft was recently acquired by TIBCO and it was a very seamless process to the point that Scribe is a better platform, the price remained the same, we have more functionality, training, and tools, and most importantly the employees of the company are even happier with their jobs and future. If I didn’t see the TIBCO logo alongside the Scribe log and the excitement of the employees I wouldn’t have known anything changed. From my standpoint if any company were to acquire ibi that TIBCO is one of the best fits. They appear to find standout companies and allow them to do what they do best and at the same time integrate from the TIBCO stack to bring efficiencies and synergies. Others may have differing opinions and it may play out differently over time, but this has been the direction ibi has been heading for the past 5 or so years and I see this as a positive move compared to other options.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Seems like I'm in the minority, but I don't mind at all if they do away with the FOCUS language. Its so problematic. Yes we've spent years learning and acquiring skills for it, but does anyone think this is a GOOD programming language? Like, I've learned to use it and I've had success with it, but I'll take Tableau or Cognos (haven't tried Spotfire, but I'll GLADLY try it) over this product anytime.

I have to think that you folks who don't want it to go, are simply dreading the fact of losing some skills or knowledge. Is that what it is?

WebFOCUS 8201, SP 0.1, Windows 7, HTML

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seems like I'm in the minority, but I don't mind at all if they do away with the FOCUS language. Its so problematic.

OK... FOCUS is the base/foundation of WebFOCUS which does 'a lot' and is a good high-level language.

As has been said: "If you can say it in English, you can code it in WebFOCUS'...

Yes, there are several other languages, but, imho, WebFOCUS is one of the best, if not The Best...

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Atta boy Doug! There is no way that the underlying FOCUS language can be removed from the product, it is the foundation of it's strength.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I'm not implying we should remove the underlying language only. I'm suggesting we lose a lot more than that.

FOCUS is the 'foundation' absolutely... no doubt... but the 'strength'?

I really think I'm being fair here, sorry... I get it though... we've all invested so much into this product.

WebFOCUS 8201, SP 0.1, Windows 7, HTML