Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Documentation/Training on WebFOCUS Internals?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Documentation/Training on WebFOCUS Internals?
 Login/Join

posted
Is there any available documentation, tutorials, or training on WebFOCUS internals? I'm interested in learning how the WebFOCUS interpreter works and how things are represented behind the scenes. Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 10/64, Oracle 11g & RDB, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Assuming by Internals you mean the language, this is where you find the doc: https://webfocusinfocenter.inf...ng/tech-library.html

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
As far as I know they don't really teach this anymore which is one of my pet peeves. Back in the 80's they taught a class called Top Gun, one week of FOCUS language internals and FOCUS file internals. I even submitted this as a question in the Ask Gerry segment, asking why this was no longer taught and did not get an adequate answer. I think you'd be surprised at how few IBI people even understand and know much about this topic.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jgelona,

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Back in the 80's they taught a class called Top Gun
Now, there's a blast From The Past... Been there... Done That. Who else was in that class?

I agree. We do need 'Internals', now more than ever, as so much is being added and InfoAssist is growing while Dev Studio... App Studio... I mean Developer is moving in there (thankfully) for Developers.

BUT, there is hope... It's Called Summit! See you there? Who's coming? Let's meet at the Focal Point Tables...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug,

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Doug, do you still have those course materials? I'd be interested in getting a copy so I could teach my fellow developers and maybe to some presentations at our local user group meetings. My class was in Anaheim, CA.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Kenneth [et al.],
Your question jiggled my memory and I looked through my computer.
I have some powerpoints on:
Focus files
Loading of Focus files techniques
Table internals
Dialog Manager

However... they are in Hebrew...
Wink

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I had boxes of those old FOCUS manuals I tossed a while ago. My first and only FOCUS class - all of three days - was in 1980 by a long dead company called Tymshare. They hosted FOCUS on their servers and I dialed in on a 300 baud teletype. We sent them our environmental data on tapes. They'd load it up and we ran our focexecs from our terminal. Very high tech for that era. We bought PC-FOCUS as soon as it came out.

I wish I had kept a sampling of those documents, but they were victims of a major box purge.

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 - Production
WebFOCUS 8.2.04 - Sand Box
Windows 2012 R2 Server
HTML, PDF, Excel
In FOCUS since 1980

Posts: 115 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: April 07, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doug, do you still have those course materials?

That's an actual picture of my book from the class. The pages are a bit stuck together but readable. The manual was originally produced in 1988 on an old school copy machine. So, copies may be a bit 'fuzzy' from sticking to the back of the previous pages.... But, I can see what I can do...

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Information Builders has a core language for Reporting; Course 105 - Extending WebFOCUS with the Core Language. http://education.informationbu...h-the-core-language/ This course uses the Text Editor in Application Studio to teach students how to code reports using the core language. We report off of a SQL RDBMS, so all the coding follows efficient coding techniques. If anyone is interested in more detail about this course please follow the link to the course description on our web site.

WebFocus 7.6.10
DataMigrator 7.7
iWay Service Manager 6.0.1
iWay Data Quality Center 5.x

Master
posted Hide Post
FUSE '97 had Top Gun School built in:

@FOCALPoint Moderators - How about creating a sticky thread called 'Internals'?

Currently a posts like the following, that talk about internals, can be a little hard for a WF user to retrieve and consolidate:
http://forums.informationbuild...317008776#3317008776
http://forums.informationbuild...857032586#7857032586

For sure, you would want to moderate the sticky, and make sure posts stay on topic.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
David

I am not aware of how to create a sticky thread. Send me PM on how to do it if you know.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post