Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     New Release 765 'Cabin Fever'

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
New Release 765 'Cabin Fever'
 Login/Join

Master
posted
After being cooped up with 764 all winter does anyone know when 765 is on the way?

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I've been in solitary confinement with 5.3.2 for the last few years (I've stopped counting) so any 7.6 version is welcome!

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Any day now, I hope. It has the new Active Reports PDF and HTML dashboard capabilities and the new ArcGIS adapter.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't be more than two weeks now.
Also looking forward to the google maps interfacing that has been completely revamped.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I really hope they sort out the explorer speed issues in dev studio as it takes at least 10 seconds to create a 21 byte blank fex, can take a similar time to copy a fex of less than a few hundred KB, and around 5-10 seconds to change between servers.

Oh that and dev studios propensity to crash out suddenly with no close prompt which means all your code gets lost.

otherwise may have to go back to 7.1.6!!

fingers crossed...

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I think I'd stick with 7.1.6 for the time being, but then that's just my opinion.
All the new bells and whistles are OK if you have the need to use them, but I would far rather have some of the "standard" stuff sorted out and show consistency across releases than have new toys to "beta test".

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
i really only have a few problems with WebFOCUS... on the whole i think its excellent but its just little 'fundamentals' like the explorer issues mentioned and things like more robust error trapping and identifying that i think be very easy to fix/implement- in fact old versions didn't have the explorer issues so we know its possible..

oh and even though i rarely use Painter it would be nice to be able to go between the code and the painter and back without your code getting screwed up- thats another 'fundamental' problem that really surprised me given the power of the WebFOCUS language.

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
and back without your code getting screwed up
One of the problems with such a feature rich language. Give the same program to write to ten programmers (who manually code) and you will get ten different programs, each producing the same basic output. Try and parse those ten programs via a GUI and for consistency you would have to re-interpret them - so I think we'll always be stuck with that Frowner and don't forget that we all probably have different coding styles. I prefer code such that it makes it easier to read and therefore maintain, and the layout the GUI produces is not to my taste. However it may suit many others, so I'll live with it (and code manually Wink)

My primary requirement would still be consistency across releases.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
i suppose that all makes sense- i guess it will never work the other way either- when you have dm or stuff in code and wanna quickly go into the painter it falls over...

its no biggie though, its taught me to never use painter so im used to it- the dev studio speed will be the thing that forces me to go over to Notepad ++ over anything.

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
What about DevStudio 764 (or maybe 765) on a Vista machine - and the run button? Has anyone overcome the issue of it working only the first time you run a fex from within DS and closing the browser when you run a second time while leaving the process running (as seen in Task Manager) ? That's my only issue with 764 ... thus far.

The GUI interpretation can "mess up" your code when it's created or modified outside of the GUI... That's part of the "80 / 20" rule... But, it's not much different then one coder reformatting code when they take it over, for their own readability. And, of course, the GUI was designed to "interpret" code in "its own way".

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
the GUI was designed to "interpret" code in "its own way"
Exactly my point - the GUI would have to re-interpret the code to it's own formatting "standards".

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Expert
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the big "Summit" release number will be. Shall we start taking bets?
I'll go with 'focus 8 point oh oh oh'...

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Not to labour a point, I'd rather have "8 point consistent" but as long as it's not "Release 8 point Oh dear" I won't mind Wink

Perhaps they'll do release "8 point ho ho ho" at Christmas? Music

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tony A:
quote:
the GUI was designed to "interpret" code in "its own way"
Exactly my point - the GUI would have to re-interpret the code to it's own formatting "standards".

T

surely they can stop the painter getting confused by DM by setting it to ignore any DM in the interpreter?

i can't see why you couldn't have the painter just read the code that it's actually going to be able to display and ignore the rest rather than fall over trying to interpret code it won't be able to show visually?

just an idea- as i say i rarely use the painter but this problem does suggest an underlying issue with the way Dev Studio works under the hood...

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
At least in the code I write, Dialogue Manager is SO integrated with determining what is visually displayed that there is no way that the GUI would be able to come close to displaying what I actually need while ignoring any Dialogue Manager.

The more complicated the code gets, the more complicated this issue is.

I'm just settled on the fact that I can't use the GUI once I get past the simple reports. I can say that I have used it more lately because of the ease of creating compound documents, but once I get DM in there, the GUI is out.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
IMO, except for final output, the GUI is a waste of time and even then it can be very picky. The other day I was trying to use the GUI to do a simple spreadsheet with some simple styling. It couldn't even parse a master that was built with 'ON TABLE HOLD AS xxxxx FORMAT FOCUS'. I had the master, data file and was trying to create a new fex for the report. After trying different things for about 2 hours, I just coded the report by hand.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
There is so much in this tread! Where to start..
1. When 7.6.5? Momentarily.
2. IE closed - but not gone... So Devstudio still passes it data, but nothing shows up: At least one case of that was fixed in 765.
3. Report painter and DM: We have made many improvements in the product so the tools can handle what was coded by hand in DM (variable editor, user selectable formats and styles, etc.). In the end, the product is better if the tools can handle the facilities for you and you do not have to resort to GOTOs, etc. Jonathan Mark and I will both be at Summit and we are always looking for the most common reasons that people cut over to code so lets find some time to talk. (Or maybe we want a topic dedicated to that ...)

Brian Suter
VP WebFOCUS Product Development

Posts: 200 | Location: NYC | Registered: January 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
John
765 is out! up on the site and downloadable.
-s.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to the IBI Developers for getting another release out.

We do "HEART" you btw - its just the stormy bits of any relationship tend to be the ones we remember!

There's some good stuff in there - particularly like the Fixed Headings with Scrolling data for HTML.

Will be incrementally upgrading to 765 soon and will issue a mini-blog on the experience. Hope this is not too far in the future ie around month's time.

Once again thanks

John

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
John, wow.
where did you find the fixed headings???

Master
posted Hide Post
Hi S

p75 of 765 NF manual

quote:

You may want to scroll the data in a report while freezing headings, column titles, and
footings in order to see the context of the report output while scrolling. Using StyleSheet
attributes, you can set aside a scrollable area for HTML report output.
For information on working with stylesheets, see the Creating and Managing a WebFOCUS
StyleSheet chapter in Creating Reports With WebFOCUS Language.
Syntax: How to Scroll Report Output
Using StyleSheet attributes, you can set aside a scrollable area for HTML report output:
TYPE=REPORT, HFREEZE={ON|TOP|BOTTOM|OFF}, [ SCROLLHEIGHT={4|nn[.n]}], $
where:
HFREEZE=ON
Freezes the heading, column titles, grand totals, and footing.
HFREEZE=TOP
Freezes the heading and column titles.

Have not tried it yet.

Expert
posted Hide Post
HOLY FREEZEFRAME, BATMAN!
i'm gonna try it,,,if i EVER get this 765 unix install working

posted Hide Post
So if you have this feature enabled what happens if you scheduled this report? Does RC blow up?

Have used WF 5.x, 7.x w/RC, BID, MR
WAS 5.x/6.x
AIX 5.3.0

Posts: 29 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: October 10, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Susannah,

I noticed that you were on Unix OS as well. I too am having problems and have a case open.

Did you happen to do an 'upgrade' install on the client as opposed to 'new'. After about a week we have discovered that the web.xml files for both WF and RC were not upgraded.

To check (we have 762 so will use that dir path),go to /WebFOCUS/ibi/webfocus762/webapps/webfocus76/WEB-INF and vi web.xml. Search for wefocus_client_root. If you don't see a real directory there, then you have the same problem that I do. My task now is to fix them so that they are correct and I got models from the CSS consultant.

I do not want to do a full install on the client because I don't want to have to completely reconfigure.

If this is your problem, let me know and I can give you my work email and phone number.

I'll let you know how my fix works.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
yep Ginny, we did an upgrade on the client
and its a huge mess
we too have a case and a saint for a css rep
can you email me your case number so my rep can read up on what your rep did? and they can talk w/ each other?
susan.jones@nyumc.org
molto grazie