Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     -READ or TABLE FILE... MRE focexec ??

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
-READ or TABLE FILE... MRE focexec ??
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Is there a way to use dialog manager to read a focexec located in the MRE environment?
I'd even be happy to use a table file request, save, then read.

I've tried many methods using variations of the FILEDEF command to no avail.

Thanks

wf 767 running on w2k3 srvr

Posts: 46 | Registered: September 22, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
What are you trying to do?

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I need to perform some administrative functions based on what reporting objects are being used as well as trying to use a focexec as a data file. I cannot use a file on a data server.

On mainframe FOCUS this was easy. Not so easy these day.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
search for MRE extract, that might give you some answers.

we are developing this to build the administration.
Reading a fex as a datasource?
Do you want to extract the fex coding and analyse the use of tables, fields, defines etc?
That is something we want to do also, but until now only in our heads....

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
-*-- MRE Program to read a fex ---
-SET &ECHO=ALL;

-? &

-DEFAULT &PGM_TO_READ = 'fmtest5';

-SET &DIR_SEP = IF &FOCMODE EQ 'WINNT' THEN '\' ELSE '/';'

-*-- Determine MRE Domain and Folder ---
-SET &MRE_DOMAIN = GETTOK(&IBIMR_domain, &IBIMR_domain.LENGTH, 1, '&DIR_SEP', 8, 'A8');
-*-SET &MRE_FOLDER = SUBSTR(&IBIMR_folder.LENGTH, &IBIMR_folder, 2, &IBIMR_folder.LENGTH, &IBIMR_folder.LENGTH - 1, 'A&IBIMR_folder.LENGTH');

-*-- Allocate FEX file ---
-SET &FEX_FILE = &MR_BASE_DIR || &DIR_SEP || &MRE_DOMAIN || &DIR_SEP || 'app' || &DIR_SEP || &PGM_TO_READ || '.fex';

FILEDEF FEX DISK &FEX_FILE
-RUN

-*-- Read the FEX via TABLE ---

TABLE FILE FEX
PRINT *
END
-RUN

Master (must be in the App Path):
FILE=FEX DATA, SUFFIX=FIX, $
SEGNAME=SEG01, SEGTYPE=S0, $
FIELD=FEX_LINE, ALIAS=E01, USAGE=A255, ACTUAL=A255, $

If you want to -READ the fex than you don't need the Master

Required Custom Configuration variables (Add these lines via WF Administration Console > Configuration > Custom Settings):
<set> IBIMR_domain (pass)
<set> IBIMR_folder (pass)

<set> MR_BASE_DIR (pass)

If you know the domain then you don't need to add these custom variables.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Just a suggestion, in future why not generate the necessary code on the fly. We do this all the time. Have a look at my presentation from Las Vegas "Focus the cornacopia". You may find some ideas. Regards Steve Simon

WebFOCUS 7.7.01 Windows, TSO 7.0

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Still not working.
Our MRE is sitting on a 2k3 server and our reporting server is UNIX on the mainframe.
I expect this is the problem.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Try putting -MRNOEDIT BEGIN at the begining of the fex and -MRNOEDIT END at the end of the fex.

MRE tries to resolve all dialog manager before sending to the server. Adding the above tags should send the dialog manger commands with the entire focexec.

Windows: WF 7.6.2: SQL Server 2008 R2

Posts: 86 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 03, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Still not working.

What's not working?

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Still cannot read the MRE focexec.
Here is the following echo'd result:

FILEDEF FEX DISK D:/ibi/WebFOCUS71/basedir/TestDomain/app/datnotfe.fex
-RUN
-READ FEX &LNE1.A10.
-RUN
(FOC295) A VALUE IS MISSING FOR: &LNE1

I can assure you the file exists with some simple text inside.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Your directory separator may be wrong. For Windows it's '\'.
Can the file be accessed correctly with "D:/ibi/WebFOCUS71/basedir/TestDomain/app/datnotfe.fex", outside of WebFOCUS?

Francis

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Francis - the separator is fine. Besides the MR_BASE_DIR contains the forward slash, so if I switch the slash for the rest of the string it'll conflict.

If I dump the address into IE when logged into the web server windows box the fex pops right up.

I addressed this in a case, so I'll follow up if a solution is found.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Shawn, are you running the fex via MRE or as an App fex?

Francis

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Fex is being executed from MRE through Dev Studio and not from the app directory.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Shawn, that *may* be the reason why it's not working. I find that you sometimes get unexpected results when running a fex from DevStudio. Sometimes in MRE, if you run the fex from the text editor, certain MRE variables are not available (e.g. MRE Folder, MRE Domain), while they are available if you run them from the domain list. So, please try running the fex from MRE.

Cheers,

Francis

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Running from MRE provided the same result as from Dev Studio.

Expert
posted Hide Post
That's too bad. I can't see why this wouldn't work.

Out of curiosity, have you tried FILEDEF some other flat file from your D drive and done a -READ on it?

Francis

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I got this to work "sort-of".
We have an additional reporting server on a windows box which is the same one that the web server resides. If I switch the properties of the fex to point to that reporting server and execute this from MRE it works. I wanted this to work using the unix reporting server, but I can work with this. What I find especially odd is the format of the address...conflicjting slashes.
D:/ibi/WebFOCUS71/basedir\MyDomain\app\datnotfe.fex
It doesn't work any other way.

Thanks for everyone's help and time.

Master
posted Hide Post
Remember that all FILEDEF items are relative to the REPORTING server directory structure.

If your client and server are on the same box this is never a problem but if your client is on another box then.

Either

MAP Z: \\CLIENT\C$ permenantly (at logon) on your server and FILEDEF Z:\...

Or

FILEDEF \\CLIENT\C$\...

or do the unix equivalents.

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Good point John.

Francis