Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED]Backward Chaining Parameters using AJAX
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED]Backward Chaining Parameters using AJAX
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi everyone,

I have a HTML page with 9 bar charts on it. I also created a form with 11 parameters that the user picks to filter the 9 different charts. I want to chain all, if not most, the parameters together. Please refer to the screen shot of the parameters for the example of what I want to achieve.

Example) I want basic chaining, such as if the Americas region is selected then it will update the Country list box with the countries that are in the Americas, and when the business unit is selected update the region and country list boxes that are associated with that business unit etc.

New use case, so when the business unit list box is selected it will update the country and region and the sales rep list boxes. Basically, the users want every thing changed together. forwards sideways, and backwards. I heard this is not out of the box with Information builders, even though you'd think it would be, and would need custom AJAX to perform this.

Has anyone been able to accomplish this and could help me with this?

Thank you in advance!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tamra,

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
Well, users don't always understand what they are asking for.

App Studio allows for forward chaining. So in your example the user could pick Region-Americas, but then Country will only have countries in the Americas.

So how does the user pick Country-Australia at that point? It can't be done unless you pick "ALL" for Country. So what happens to Region then? It needs to go back to "ALL" as well.

The easiest thing to do would be to include a reset button to restore all selections to "ALL". Then the user can make selections again.

If you want to chain backwards, maybe a second application that reverses the chaining order would make more sense (But it would still be a forward chain, just starting from the other direction).

You can use AJAX to do this, but I don't think it will be any better than just letting App Studio do it for you.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 594 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 04, 2015Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I think what would be more appropriate in your situation is an "ad hoc/self-service" type of application. I created one a year ago and I find that it is a strength of the WebFOCUS software.

Basically, you don't filter dynamically and make one control dependent on the other. You create one fex file that accepts all of the choices on all of the controls.

So, say the user chooses Region-Americas. If Country is left at "ALL", then all countries in Region-Americas will appear on the report.

If the user only wants certain countries in a region to appear, then it would be Region-ALL and multiple countries could be selected.

Yes, it's not all nice and visually "filtery," but the advantage is you would only code one fex. Your development time is drastically reduced.

Of course, it requires a little more effort on the part of the user. The user needs to be more knowledgeable about the data to quickly make good selections.

But there is another advantage: It is much more flexible doing it this way. For example, the user could select Region-Americas and Country-Australia, and the report would include all countries in the Americas PLUS Australia. If you try to go with dynamic filters, you can't (easily) do that.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 594 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 04, 2015Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your response Squatch!

I know what you mean by the users not understanding what they're asking for but it's been one of the most requested items they've asked for, after all it makes the HTML page more user friendly and allowing them less options to select from based on previous selections. I see my screenshot was uploaded but here is the screenshot of the parameter selections: https://imgur.com/a/Pocc8

I have created a reset button as well. There are a lot of variables for the user to select from so I'm trying to trim down to what is all related to each other to make for a better experience. Which I'm pretty sure I would need to use AJAX to accomplish and just trying to see if someone is willing to help me out with it as I don't have experience with Javascript. Frowner

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
I've got examples of AJAX and fex files, but I wonder if you have read my latest post? We kind of posted close in time to each other so you might not have.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I have not! Mind posting the link to it for me?

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
It's on this thread. The post I made at 04:27pm.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Ahh, I see what you are saying. The issue with my org is that we're brand new with webfocus and are joining multiple back office systems together and our models are quite complex and has A LOT of crappy data so we're trying to make it where it's not so flexible. Kinda make more sense? If it's not an issue may I see some of your examples of AJAX and the fexs sir?

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
I just got home from work, but I can get you something tomorrow.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
You can see a working AJAX example here, including chaining:

[SOLVED]How to implement Lazy Loading Options to HTML

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hey Squatch,

I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing with this AJAX. I've never applied Javascript to an Information Builders HTML page. Can you please advise?

I've created a new HTML page with 3 list boxes and I'm using the car master file, to make it a lot simpler.

Thank you.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
I can create an example for you, but I think it will be a waste of time. I don't think this is a programming problem. It's a design problem.

The purpose of chaining is to narrow down choices in an orderly manner, while requiring the user to make selections along the way. First, they select a choice in control A, which narrows the choices in control B. Then they select in B, which narrows the choices in control C. Let's assume there are controls D and E as well.

So your users want to start in control C? Okay. So what do they expect to happen in controls A, B, D and E? Do they want A and B filtered? The logic for filtering B after a selection is made in C is different from filtering C after selecting in B. And if you filter B after selecting in C, then A must also be filtered based on B. With different filtering logic as opposed to A to B. And how does filtering in C affect D and E? Confused? Me, too!

And on top of all that, if the user starts selecting in C, there is nothing forcing them to even make a selection in either filtered A or B. Having an "ALL" choice in a filtered control does not make sense ("ALL" in WebFOCUS would not mean "all filtered fields"... it would mean ANY choice possible), so they would need to choose something in A and B. If they do not choose something in filtered A and B, what gets sent from A and B to the fex to run the report? See?

I know what your users are asking for... they want to make it "easier" for them by letting the computer do more of the work. But it's like asking a computer to divide by zero.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean, unfortunately, it's a requirement that needs to be met. Frowner My boss agrees with it as well. Any way you could provide me an example of what I'm trying to accomplish, if you have time?

To clarify a little more:

We simply want the data in all of our selection controls to be refreshed every time a selection is made in one the selection controls. In that way, the user is given a list of selections that is still valid to choose from based off them being associated with each other. In addition, the list is smaller and makes it easier to find the appropriate choices.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zcbillions:
My boss agrees with it as well.

Well, of course the pointy-haired boss agrees with the users. He's the boss! If the users want gravity to push up instead of pull down, then by golly that's what you're going to give them! Smiler

quote:

We simply want the data in all of our selection controls to be refreshed every time a selection is made in one (of) the selection controls.

The word "simply" is the problem. It demonstrates a preconceived notion that this is an easily solved problem. It's not. Pointy-haired boss be damned!

quote:

In that way, the user is given a list of selections that is still valid to choose from based off them being associated with each other.

And to associate them to get a valid list of selections is not a problem if you are going one way: from control A to control B to control C, etc. But starting with control C and working your way back to B and then to A and dealing with D is different filter logic than starting with A and going to B and going to C.

So you will (at least) need to do these things:

1. Use AJAX technology extensively, which you currently don't use.

2. Create lots of fex files to implement the filtering behavior going from one control to the following control, or from one control to the previous control.

3. Use JavaScript programming that will account for every possible control that the user will start out with, which you currently don't use.

For example, if the user selects control C, then controls B and A must be filtered, and D must be updated as well.

If the user selects control D, then A and B and C must be filtered. Control E must be updated.

In short, you must account for every possible control that must be updated based on whatever control has been selected by the user. Very complicated.

4. You cannot use WebFOCUS to create an "ALL" option to select all filtered items in a control. WebFOCUS considers "ALL" to mean select all possible choices: filtered and non-filtered. Instead, you will need to use JavaScript to read the control's selection values, see if "ALL" is selected, and if it is, gather all filter selections from the control and send them using AJAX to the fex filter file, in a way that WebFOCUS will accept. That means forming a long URL with the filtered selections to run the fex. And you need to do that for each control. It gets worse. If the URL is too long (Which it likely will be), you cannot use the GET method when specifying the URL. You will need to use the PUT method, which means modifying your AJAX call.

5. And what about allowing the user to select multiple items from one control? You need to create the filter fex in such a way as to be able to accept multiple values. But wait. As soon as the user selects one item, you need to use a JavaScript trigger called "On Select" to call the filter fex files for each affected control. If the user can select multiple items, then you need to read the items and pass them to the fex files again that will populate each control.

If all this sounds like a nightmare, it is.

Is it impossible to do all this? No. Will it take one helluva lot of programming and many hours of debugging to do something like this? Yes. Is it worth it? In my opinion, no.

I understand the pressure you are under, but explain to your pointy-haired boss that the cost will be 25,000 US dollars worth of your time to do this and he will back down. To quote Donald Trump: "Believe me."

All this being said, I will try to come up with something to illustrate how difficult this sort of thing is.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it worth it? In my opinion, no.

Think also of the situation where the user has changed A, B, C and then changes D. Do you now go back and update C, B and A?

That is illogical because the user has followed the natural progression in the chaining.

If the user changes D then do you change C, B and A plus E? No, you only change E because that is "downstream" in your chaining sequence.

Just my "two-penn'orth".

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]
Think also of the situation where the user has changed A, B, C and then changes D. Do you now go back and update C, B and A?

That is illogical because the user has followed the natural progression in the chaining.

If the user changes D then do you change C, B and A plus E? No, you only change E because that is "downstream" in your chaining sequence.
/QUOTE]

NFR: Mindreader adapter.

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:

Like!!!! Smiler

T

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tony A:
quote:

Like!!!! Smiler

T

NFR: GUI with chained controls to configure the Mindreader adapter.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I expect the New Feature to be included in the April 1 announcement.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Jack, you are so prescient! Smiler

As for solving the problem .... Each of the parameters is populated by a usually small FEX - just a few lines.

Just allowing things to float around in my head, would it not be possible to expand those fexes alomg the lines of:

IF REGION IS A THEN
ELSE IF DEPARTMENT IS B THEN

etc.

This would, I think, require the initial selection to be written to a file and there would have to be a refresh button that would pick up that initial parameter and adjust all the other parameters accordingly. So no actual chaining at all.

This wouldn't have the spreadsheet-like feature of changing everything when a single variable is changed, but who knows, it might work.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
If I were to take a stab at this... Where as I completely agree with Squatch, I also understand the no win situation that you need to find an answer for. I guess the way I would handle this is utilize JQuery to populate my drop down boxes.

• Create a function that will simultaneously update All of the drop downs when ever a value has been changed.
  • That function I would grab the currently selected value of each drop down to pass to the fexes that populate your drop down.
  • When the response comes back, select the value that was captured back for each drop down. If a value no longer exists, then don't select it
  • Make sure you recognize the "natural" order of the chaining because then if a "down stream" parameter is filtered on, I would change the display value of 'All' to 'All (filtered)' so the user knows that there are more options not displayed.
  • Include a reset button so that the user can get back to the base values in the drop downs as there will be no other way to start over

In my head basically, I figure don't worry about the "Direction" of the chain. Just update everything. This eliminates the what to do about B when you select D. You are updating everything anyways. I think at the end of the day your end users won't like it though. They are going to select an option in C and then wonder why options don't exist in A. But if you're going to shoot yourself in the foot anyways...

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Aside from the technical issues, there is a user interface problem here.

Controls A, B, C & D are multi-select lists.
If a user selects multiple items in A and then starts clicking in B to create their (multi-)selection, the items in A will change based on their ongoing selections in B!

In turn, since the selection in A now changed, the items in B will update with items related to the now reduced selection in A.
Any items the user might have wanted to select next, that were based on their multi-select in A, are now gone.

It looks like there's a demand for right-foot overshoes with a target painted on them and shotguns (shells included)...

Sometimes it's our job to explain the boss that he does not want a horde of angry and frustrated users in his office.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
We have a saying here in the United States that applies to this situation:

"This is like trying to make a dollar out of 95 cents!"

In other words, no matter how close you think you are to solving this problem, you never quite get there... you just run into another problem.

I actually tried to get this to work using the sample CAR file, but I eventually gave up. It's just a bad idea.

I agree with eric and Wep... if someone did do all the programming necessary to make this work, I don't believe the users would like it. They would need to click on some sort of reset button to start over after the filter takes away the choices they actually want.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
That's what I was getting at, maybe in a clumsy way using only WF itself: The user makes an initial selection that resets all of the other parameters. Once that's done the sub-selections can be made. Chaining would be out of the question unless only certain selections were available in the first pass.

There would have to be a reset button to restore everything to the initial pristine state. As others have said, something of a dog's breakfast, regurgitated ...

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Squatch,

I found this javascript to start. Anyway we can modify it to work with updating the parameter controls?

//Begin function combobox1_onchange
function combobox1_onchange(ctrl) {
document.getElementById("combobox2").value = "0";
document.getElementById("edit1").value = "";
document.getElementById("edit2").value = "";
if (document.getElementById("combobox1").value != "_FOC_NULL") {
alert("Values changed");
callServer();
}
}
//End function combobox1_onchange

var xmlHttp = false;

if (!xmlHttp && typeof XMLHttpRequest != 'undefined') {
xmlHttp = new XMLHttpRequest();
}

function callServer() {
var val = document.getElementById("combobox1").value;
var url = "/ibi_apps/WFServlet" + "?" + "IBIF_ex=rifaz/ACombo1.fex" + "&" + "CNT=" + val;
xmlHttp.open("GET", url, true);
xmlHttp.onreadystatechange = domupdate;
xmlHttp.send(null);
}

function domupdate() {
if (xmlHttp.readyState == 4) {
if (xmlHttp.status == 200 ) {
var responseXML = xmlHttp.responseXML;
alert("response OK");
var trs = responseXML.getElementsByTagName("tr");
var tds = trs[0].getElementsByTagName("td");
var cb1 = tds[0].firstChild.nodeValue;
if (cb1 == 0){
document.getElementById("combobox2").options[0].selected = true;
}
else {
document.getElementById("combobox2").value = tds[0].firstChild.nodeValue;
}
document.getElementById("edit1").value = tds[0].firstChild.nodeValue.trim();
document.getElementById("edit2").value = tds[0].firstChild.nodeValue.trim();

}
}

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
That is the "Plain Jane" JavaScript way of doing AJAX. It may not be compatible with older browsers.

If you are determined to pursue this, I would recommend you use jQuery. It is a JavaScript library that is activated by default in App Studio.

What follows is not a working example. I don't have time for it today or Friday. I might be able to post a brief example tomorrow. Basically, you generate XML code and use it to populate the control ("combobox1" in this example).

File: wf_forum_populate_control_country.fex

TABLE FILE ibisamp/car
BY CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XML

-RUN

In the JavaScript/JQuery code below, change the "url:" line in the AJAX call to point to where you saved the FEX file. The "IBFS_path" you see is my test working directory in WebFOCUS. It won't work for you the way it is.

function populate_country() {
  // Use jQuery to make the AJAX call and populate the Country control
  $.ajax({
      type: "GET",
      url: "/ibi_apps/WFServlet.ibfs?IBFS1_action=RUNFEX&IBFS_path=/WFC/Repository/BIDEV/~sharpet/wf_forum_populate_control_country.fex",
      cache: false,
      dataType: "xml",
      error: function(jqXHR, textStatus, errorThrown) {
          alert(textStatus + ": " + errorThrown);
      },
      success: function(xml) {
          $(xml).find("tr").each(function(index){
              $(this).find("td").each(function(index) {
                  var name = $(this).text();
                  switch(index) {
                      case 0: $("select[id=combobox1]").append("<option value=\"" + name + "\">" + name);
                              break;
                  }
              });
          });
      }
  });
}

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
Here is a working example.

Create this FEX file, and place it in a folder somewhere under the "Content" area in WebFOCUS:

File: wf_forum_populate_control_country.fex

TABLE FILE ibisamp/car
BY CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XML

-RUN

(You may need to create a dummy "Report" by that name in App Studio, then save it, close it out and right-click on it; then select "Open in Text Editor" to replace the code that is already there with the code I listed above.)

Create a new HTML file. Call it "wf_forum_populate_control_country". Create a new list box and make its Unique Identifier "listbox1" in the Properties panel.

Change the "url:" line in the AJAX call below to point to where you saved the FEX file. The "IBFS_path" you see is my test working directory in WebFOCUS. It won't work for you the way it is.

Log on to the WebFOCUS portal, and right-click on the FEX; select "Properties" to see the exact path and filename.

Open the HTML file in App Studio, go to the "Embedded JavaScript/CSS" tab and replace any code there with this:

if(typeof(bRuntime) != 'undefined') {
// TODO: Add your inline runtime code here
}

//Begin function window_onload
function window_onload() {

UpdateData();

populate_country();
}

$.ajax({
      url: "/ibi_apps/WFServlet.ibfs?IBFS1_action=RUNFEX&IBFS_path=/WFC/Repository/BIDEV/~sharpet/wf_chaining/wf_forum_populate_control_country.fex",
      },
                  switch(index) {
                      case 0: $("select[id=listbox1]").append("<option value=\"" + name + "\">" + name);
                              break;
                  }
              });
          });
      }
  });
}

You should now have a list box populated by an AJAX call.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Squatch,

Thank you for your example!

Unfortunately, it's not working for me. I created the .fex file like you suggested and when I run it, it's bringing back 5 countries. I also created the HTML file and here's the javascript I'm using:

if(typeof(bRuntime) != 'undefined') {
// TODO: Add your inline runtime code here
}

//Begin function window_onload
function window_onload() {

UpdateData();

populate_country();
}

$.ajax({
url: "/ibi_apps/WFServlet.ibfs?IBFS1_action=RUNFEX&IBFS:/WFC/Repository/Colby/wf_forum_populate_control_country.fex",
},
switch(index) {
case 0: $("select[id=listbox1]").append("

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
url: "/ibi_apps/WFServlet.ibfs?IBFS1_action=RUNFEX&IBFS:/WFC/Repository/Colby/wf_forum_populate_control_country.fex

Your url is incorrect.

Try:

url: "/ibi_apps/WFServlet.ibfs?IBFS1_action=RUNFEX&IBFS_path=/WFC/Repository/Colby/wf_forum_populate_control_country.fex",

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much!

So if I create functions for my all of listboxes how can I make them dependant on each other?

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs