Focal Point
[CLOSED] Launching a schedule or FEX from a SQL Server Job

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/7787021376

October 16, 2014, 01:35 PM
Steve Lindsay
[CLOSED] Launching a schedule or FEX from a SQL Server Job
I would like to launch a WebFOCUS Schedule or FEX from a SQL Server Job. Is there a command I can use to do this? The WebFocus process can only be complete once the SQL Server process ends. The SQL Server process runs on different days and sometimes different times each month - so the normal schedules would not work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFOCUS 8.0
October 17, 2014, 03:58 AM
Alan B
Not sure if there is a direct call, however in the past I have used a simple table to control this type of requirement. When your SQL server job is finished, update this table with an indicator. Have a schedule to run every nn minutes to check this table and run if there is a value there to indicate that the job should run, finally the scheduled job should update the table to remove the indicator.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007
October 21, 2014, 04:04 PM
Steve Lindsay
thanks Alan. I will try this. It is unfortuate that there isn't a command that could be used to do the same thing. It seems like a lot of overhead to get this done.

WebFOCUS 8.0
October 21, 2014, 04:19 PM
Francis Mariani
I think you could use the ReportCaster web service to do this.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
October 31, 2014, 10:37 AM
Steve Lindsay
Alan, Would you be willing to share the .FEX file that exams the table and starts the schedule?

WebFOCUS 8.0
October 31, 2014, 11:52 AM
MartinY
Using technique mentioned by Alan where you search for an indicator, search for "Alert" in documentation, that may help too to accomplish what you're looking for.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007