Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SHARING] WebFOCUS Release 7.6.9

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SHARING] WebFOCUS Release 7.6.9
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
How many of these features do you not have to pay extra for?

quote:

New Strategic Features (as of 7.6.9):
-------------------------------------
Robust, Intuitive Ad Hoc Reporting for End Users with InfoAssist Release 7.6.9 includes major advanced capabilities in InfoAssist, including compound document creation and publishing as well as cube browsing for Oracle Essbase, Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services, and the SAP Business Information Warehouse.

RStat Predictive Analytics
This new offering, blends WebFOCUS with the popular "R" open source package to simplify the building and deployment of powerful scoring systems.

Electronic Publishing
Major innovations in this area include interactive PDF documents - the ability to embed active content inside of pixel perfect PDF documents for distribution and publishing.

Active Technologies
Automatic generation of Adobe® Flex®-based active dashboards, cache option for connected applications, and incremental new options.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I don't know about RStat, but InfoAssist, Flex development and active PDF all require additional licenses. It really bugged me as well that they include some of these items as "New features" when they are really "New products." Inclusing in "New features" might lead one to believe that if they upgraded to the new version they would have additional capabilites with WF when that is not the case unles you purchase additional product. I think these separately licensed items should NOT be in a SNF-type document. - my 2 cents

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I just got an email saying:
quote:
With the release of WebFOCUS 7.6.9, a license code will be required to use WebFOCUS and ReportCaster Web Services.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Waz:
I just got an email saying:
quote:
With the release of WebFOCUS 7.6.9, a license code will be required to use WebFOCUS and ReportCaster Web Services.

Me, too. I'm not going to upgrade for a while because we use the webservice quite a lot. It's a shame you have to pay for it now. Frowner

Posts: 4 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: August 09, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Me, too. I'm not going to upgrade for a while because we use the webservice quite a lot. It's a shame you have to pay for it now. Frowner

There was always a license fee for WS. People using it without paying for it is why there is a license code now!

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
There should be individual licenses for LET, MATCH, MODIFY, SET, SQL, TABLE, Dialogue Manager, etc - then we'd only pay for what we use. Frowner

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
<JG>
posted
dhagen
quote:

There was always a license fee for WS. People using it without paying for it is why there is a license code now!

Got it in one.

If you've paid the license fee upgrading should not be an issue at all.

If someone has not, of which I am sure there are quite a number they have a problem.

In FOCUS almost everything requires a separate fee, but not necessarily a code to unlock.

IB have generally been quite lax about protecting licensable features.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The biggest problem I have with all of this is that IBI spends all its resources on new features that require extra licenses while leaving bugs found in the core code uncorrected for several releases in a row.

Francis

<JG>
posted
That's not uncommon for most software suppliers.

Mr. Gates owns one of the biggest offenders.

You are quite correct though they should not be described as new features if they are not
part of the core system, they should more correctly be described as new added value functionality.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Mr Gates and gang has blinded us into accepting crappy software.

We shouldn't be pointing to Windows and Office as examples - because they do it doesn't mean everyone has to do it.

Francis

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I totally agree with Darin and JG - they should be very clear about what is a new product versus "feature" - ridiculous that we have to constantly ask if it's an additional cost.

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2003,SQL Server 2005,Oracle

Posts: 125 | Location: New England | Registered: February 20, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Francis Mariani:
Mr Gates and gang has blinded us into accepting crappy software.

Watch what you ask for. If it all just worked, then we would all be out of a job!

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Ah yes! I forgot that.

Happy Queen Victoria's Birthday.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
My big concern is that in this economic climate, IB's customers will start to cut back on these features that they may use, just to cut costs.

I've seen it before, justify everything.

In my opinion, if all these features that are licensed were free, perhaps they would sell more and we will have better ways to do what we need to do.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
<JG>
posted
quote:
if all these features that are licensed were free, perhaps they would sell more

Do I detect some Irish blood in the lineage.

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
During all my years working for IB, I have always found it quite strange that a license fee was charged for some feature that was technically just available in the product.
Example of this is maintain. The reporting server does not need a license to run maintain, but it is a seperately priced product.
I think it is actually getting better this way - there is more clarity in what is being bought by the user and what other stuff is still available.
Drawback of course is that clients that are now using parts of the product that should be licensed but are not, might run into licensing issues with a new release.
Often clients do not even know that certain parts of the product are actually licensed.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post