Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Poll - Enhancement to position TITLEs after SUBHEAD Text

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Poll - Enhancement to position TITLEs after SUBHEAD Text
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
Many of us (if not all of us) at one time or another have had to hand code column TITLEs when using SUBHEADs in a report. This is because FOCUS always puts TITLEs Text ABOVE the SUBHEAD Text. If you want the TITLEs Text to appear BELOW the SUBHEAD Text you need to hand code it as part of the SUBHEAD.

I spoke with an IBI product person years ago at a Summit Conference about adding additional syntax that would control the placement of TITLEs Text ABOVE or BELOW the SUBHEAD Text. To me this would be the greatest new feature to have since the BY TOTAL statement. What does everyone else think?

Should IBI enhance the SUBHEAD statement with additional syntax so that you can tell FOCUS to put the SUBHEAD Text ABOVE or BELOW the TITLEs Text?

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I vote for it - a nice touch to include.

Posts: 238 | Location: Atlanta, GA/Rehovot, Israel | Registered: May 06, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Interesting...I was just struggling with this issue right now. I vote yes.

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
My vote would be yes, too. It would make subheads much more useful.

Posts: 391 | Location: California | Registered: April 14, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I have several change requests that are equally as important as Subheads below or above Column Titles.

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I vote yes. Can think of instances where useful.

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Absolutely "yes". A SUBHEAD should be exactly that, below the HEADING. If it's going to be below the TITLE, it should be SUBTITLE. (Oh, sorry. That's the common sense oxymoron, isn't it?)

Expert
posted Hide Post
And a resounding Yes from me too.

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
if i make it to advisory council tomorrow morning, i'll add this to my list.
i also want WHEN= capability on multi-drills.
anybody else want that?
We're getting RANGENAMES in excel output in 713..
i've actually seen it work on the pm's dev site. wicked cool. (means you can put out a spreadsheet, collect user input, and then read it back with an odbc connection that you've already made, without having to touch the sheet again and make a range..range will already be there)

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Susannah and everyone:

What I would also like to see with this new feature is the ability to make the TITLEs appear on each sort break. For example if I write a TABLE FILE request using the CAR file and do a BY COUNTRY sort, I would like the TITLEs to appear again evertime the COUNTRY value changes. Right now TITLEs only appear once at the top of a new page. I would like to be able to make them print again even if a sort break falls in the middle of a page.

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
defintely needed

Posts: 18 | Location: Trenton, New Jersey | Registered: November 24, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Yes....

WF 8.2.01M
8.2.01M Reporting Server
Windows 2012 Srvr R2
PDF,Excel, HTML
Graphs - a lot of graphs

Posts: 60 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: October 30, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Yes!

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Master
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have lots of legacy reports where this would have saved a lot of time.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Yes.

To have a little flexibility in the positioning of titles vis a vis SUBHEAD and BY statements would be an excellent upgrade

Robert F. Bowley Jr.
Owner
TaRa Solutions, LLC

In WebFOCUS since 2001

Posts: 132 | Location: Gadsden, Al | Registered: July 22, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Wow. I had forgotten about this post. It seems there is a unanimous YES for this one. Information builders are you listening. Way back in 2005 I had put this in as a NFR (new feature request) and it was turned down! Perhaps if everyone opens a case with Information Builders and requests this maybe it will make it onto the "TO DO" list if it isn't there already.

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Yes - add me to the list.

Posts: 60 | Location: Ellensburg Washington | Registered: May 22, 2009Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
a little flexibility in the positioning of titles

Same for positioning the individual columns, like cell padding at column level rather at report level. Many times I wish I have such control, especially with OVER, { the keyword IN doesn't seem to work with the GUI }

I call myselself a nubi(not numpty, of course) as an excuse for not knowing everything WF has offered. Please kindly hit me on the head if this is already available.

Thanks.

Hua

Developer Studio 7.6.11
AS400 - V5R4
HTML,PDF,XLS

Posts: 305 | Location: Winnipeg,MB | Registered: May 12, 2008Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Is this something that IBI will be doing yet? I have something very similar to this problem. Does anyone have any alternatives to this issue temporarily?
Any information would be great.
Thanks.

Best Regards,

Jimmy Pang

DEV: WF 7.6.10
TEST: WF 7.6.10
PROD: WF 7.6.10
MRE: WF 7.6.4
OS/Platform: Windows
Dev Studio: WF 7.7
Output: HTML, EXCEL, PDF, GRAPH, LOTUS, CSV

Posts: 117 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: February 29, 2008Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Yes, of course!

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
When?

WebFOCUS 8.1.05 Windows 7, all output

Posts: 107 | Registered: February 18, 2011Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Absolutlely, as long as I don't have to change the several dozen reports that I have already hand coded.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You shouldn't Smiler. If IBI implemented that feature someday, they would obviously create a new setting that would allow us to use it or ignore it to make sure existing code runs as always.

Something like:
SET TITLESUBHPOS={ABOVE | BELOW}

or perhaps in good FOCUS convention:
SET TITLESUBHPOS={OLD | NEW}