Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] SQL Server Performance - Stored procedure vs. inline SQL

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] SQL Server Performance - Stored procedure vs. inline SQL
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
I think I will open a case for this but in the meantime I'd like to hear if there is any feedback here.

I have SQL that I originally inlined into my .fex (or saved as a .sql and -INCLUDED in the fex). When I run the report it takes extremely long. When I take the exact same SQL and saved it as a stored procedure and have the report execute the stored procedure, it takes much quicker (as quick as running the query in query analyzer). To note is that I looked at the SQL Server traces and when the SQL is inlined, there are many more events in the trace, each with elapsed time, reads, etc. When I run the stored procedure, there are much fewer events, fewer reads, and of course the elapsed time is much less.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might be the problem or if this expected behavior?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Release: WebFOCUS 7.6.8
Output formats: HTML, PDF, Excel, csv

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Depending on the requirement of your application, you might consider using a stored procedure in some cases.

If all I need from the grocery store is my standard weekly/monthly shopping list that has been stored online, then it is more efficient for me to request the stored "procedure" to be executed. However, if I have more creative needs then I would bennefit from driving to the store and enjoying the shopping experience myself.
;-)

There are of course many variables that could influence the inline SQL you have used.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
prod: WF/AS 8.2.05; OmniGen;
In FOCUS since 1991

Posts: 104 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: February 07, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
If you use SQL pass-thru the performance should be extremely similar (virtually identical) to a stored procedure.

The SQL pass-thru will pass the SQL back to the server and execute exactly as the stored procedure.

Not sure what you mean by inlined. Compare the SQL traces or use the XRETRIEVAL to determine the difference in execution techniques.

Good Luck.

John

John G
WF7.7.02, Win2008x64, MRE, ReportCaster, Maintain