Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SHARING] Convert Tableau to WebFOCUS

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SHARING] Convert Tableau to WebFOCUS
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
Is there any standard / established documentation on converting Tableau 'code' to WebFOCUS? If so, where?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug,

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
May be a good idea to contact support. I suspect its not simple.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Good thought, thanks Waz. FP is always my first line of defense... I'll check Support tomorrow...

I've already done some from their Tableau mock-ups. WebFOCUS is winning Smiler... Even in IA.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug,

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Sounds great.

Am interested in how it goes, as we have Tableau here as well.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Sure Waz, I'll keep you posted.

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'm interested too: for reasons of competition, obviously.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
for reasons of competition, obviously.
I'm doing things in WebFOCUS that tableau can't do here... Smiler

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Can you post those items not supported by Tableau but supported by WebFocus?

That will be helpful for all of us to make our case strong in our company.

Windows, All Formats

Posts: 184 | Registered: December 27, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This sounds like a great topic for Summit. Things you can do in WebFOCUS that Tableau can't. Smiler

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
This sounds like a great topic for Summit.
I Agree... Maybe I'll submit something...

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I just got the message from on high that all new development will be in Tableau. We are not far from Tableau's corporate offices so you can imagine how many of their sales reps are swarming around. They are even on our Board.

I probably won't go to Summit because I won't be able to implement all the cool new stuff I learn there.

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 - Production
WebFOCUS 8.2.04 - Sand Box
Windows 2012 R2 Server
HTML, PDF, Excel
In FOCUS since 1980

Posts: 115 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: April 07, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are even on our Board.
Where is this happening? What's the life expectancy of WebFOCUS there? Frowner Frowner Frowner

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
South Lake Union in Seattle. Tableau HQ, Amazon HQ, Google … all within blocks of us. Microsoft HQ a few miles away.

It's a tough sell for the IBI folks - although I did have a two year gig at Microsoft creating a PO and PR reporting system in WebFOCUS in 1999.

Windows 2012 R2 Server
HTML, PDF, Excel
In FOCUS since 1980

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did have a two year gig at Microsoft creating a PO and PR reporting system in WebFOCUS
Smiler Smiler Smiler

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are even on our Board

Sounds like a conflict of interest....

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds like a conflict of interest....
Insider Influence? Or, just salesmanship / Marketing? Not favorable to WebFOCUS Environments.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I misspoke. Tableau merely gave us an enterprise license. Jeff Bezos gave us $5M. Oh and the CEO of Microsoft is on our Board. We are Seattle's favorite charity, but there are often strings attached.

Windows 2012 R2 Server
HTML, PDF, Excel
In FOCUS since 1980

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
but there are often strings attached.

The world we live in.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Expert
posted Hide Post
So far, what we're doing is creating synonyms from the Tableau SQL. We're using their output, chart and reports as mock-ups to rebuild them in WebFOCUS. So far, so good. Which is to say that everything we've done is better (No surprise there, right?).

Master
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the share Doug!

Best of luck with the remainder of your project.

Pilot: WebFOCUS 8.2.06 Test: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Prod: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Server: Windows Server 2016/Tomcat Standalone Workstation: Windows 10/IE11+Edge Database: Oracle 12c, Netezza, & MS SQL Server 2019 Output: AHTML/XLSX/HTML/PDF/JSCHART Tools: WFDS, Repository Content, BI Portal Designer & ReportCaster

Expert
posted Hide Post
You're welcome. I'll keep this around and will update it If I get more information then what I stated in my "January 11, 2019 02:50 PM" post...

Master
posted Hide Post
hmmm..why better? We are on the old lowly wf8001 hoping to upgrade BUT...we also have tableau and to be honest it kicks WH 8001 a$$ in so far a graphing. FYI we stage data for each. The power for us in WF is in the portal and custom reporting done using FML...ideally there is room for both tools....

WebFOCUS 8206.08
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
ideally there is room for both tools....

My experience is that if there is room for both tools, there is room for other tools, and you will end up with a disparate collection of products that all partially cover part of any requirements, increasing costs in supporting and maintaining the infrastructure.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Ugh, similar stuff hasbeen happening here as of late. PowerBI Desktop got a foot in and now we are jumping through hoops to work around its rather limited connectivity options.

PowerBI claims to support all kinds of databases, but in reality only a few support "Direct Query" - in all other cases it downloads the entire dataset to your desktop. And yet they have the nerve to call it "PowerBI"...

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
And yet they have the nerve to call it "PowerBI"...

Music Music

Chin up and have another beer Smiler

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
… Great stuff as long as you redesign your metadata layer.

It's a big project we are about to attack.

Windows 2012 R2 Server
HTML, PDF, Excel
In FOCUS since 1980

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
as long as you redesign your metadata layer
... And ensure that you have all the requirements that went into the Tableau applications.