Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [Sharing] Let's Date! Holding Place for Date Information/Techniques.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[Sharing] Let's Date! Holding Place for Date Information/Techniques.
 Login/Join

Master
posted
Thought I'd create a thread dealing with dates. Date formatting/arithmetic is often a key component of the WebFOCUS systems we build. Hopefully, this thread will assist folks new to WebFOCUS, and be good place for a refresher for the more experienced developers.

Master
posted Hide Post
One of the first references I read, before doing heavy date lifting is the ‘Describing Data With WebFOCUS Language’ manual.

Specifically I read the following section: ‘The Displayed Data Type: USAGE’: sub-sections that discuss dates.

If your site is like ours, you use ‘Synonym Builder’ to automatically build the metadata that describes data.

Even still, reading this section will give you a good understanding of the types of dates WebFOCUS supports, and an idea of the internals behind each type.

Also when you DEFINE or COMPUTE date fields, you are using the syntax that is described in these sections.

Master
posted Hide Post
Here is the analysis I go through, before working with dates

What type of date is the incoming date?:
* Alpha/Numeric, i.e., a human would know it’s a date by looking at it.
* Date, aka WebFOCUS ‘Smart’ date.
* Date/Time (relational timestamp concept).

What are the processing requirements?
* Reformatting?
* Date arithmetic?

What is the output 'date type' requirement?
* Alpha/Numeric, i.e., a human would know it’s a date by looking at it.
* Date, aka WebFOCUS ‘Smart’ date.
* Date/Time (relational timestamp concept).

Sets of WebFOCUS date functions, are applicable to each of the ‘date types’.

Further dividing the sets of functions, is whether the function has to do with reformatting a date, calculating a new date, or transforming to a different 'date type'.

Once the correct/best function is selected, the next step is to send the correct parameters.

The ‘WebFOCUS – Using Functions’ manual, provides additional details regarding this outline.

Expert
posted Hide Post

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
David,

Nice going.
Nonetheless, I think it is high time to do away with all the functions.
All transformations - Alpha to Numeric to Date to TimeStamp - should be performed "under the covers" by WF.
All calculations - adding, subtracting, differences - also.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
should be performed "under the covers" by WF.

Time for an NFR

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post