Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] How to comment mods to a progeram

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] How to comment mods to a progeram
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
When you modify a program, do any of you add comments to your program concerning the modifications made? Can any of you provide a sample of how you comment your programs as far as modifications are made? I'm trying to keep my comments in my program to a minimum, but am just interested to see what others do.

Thanks!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Our auditors got on our case for not tracking changes so now we just include a comment (-*)log at the top of each fex that notes the date userid of whoever makes the change, and a very brief statement of the change made, reason for change, and/or reference to individual requesting the change.

The process is only good when we remember to add to the log when changes are made, but it has satisfied the auditor as long as change dates on the files are relatively close to the latest log entries.

There are some change management features available now for MRE, but we haven't looked into those.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
we comment at the BOTTOM of the fex
a single in-line comment with name editdate and reference number
all the details about the comments at the end in "flowerboxes"
-* #2 edit made as result of audit etc etc
-* #3 changed by customer request etc
to us, long flowerboxes at the top of a fex are soooo last millenium. Big Grin

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Well, at my age, I guess I will have to finish my career in the 'last millenium' :-)

As a consultant who works on many reports, at many clients, I make it a point to add something basically like this to the top of each fex I modify:

-* 7/14/2009 Robert Bowley WCS enhancement project to:
-* TaRa Solutions, LLC Add an Additional Production information section
-* Add a YTD IC section
I also try to add a comment block in teh immediate vicinity of the code I change / add:

-************************************************************************************************************************
-* Added the test OR (GENERICBOOLEAN2 EQ 1) to acquire the Additional Production information
-* Added the define to create the section flag for display of the data
-* Added the calculation for ICMINDTE to be able to use a date range in the next step
-************************************************************************************************************************

I can't say for sure that it helps anyone else, but when I return to a client after a prolonged gig at an entirely different installation, it sure helps me remember what I did and where.

Robert F. Bowley Jr.
Owner
TaRa Solutions, LLC

In WebFOCUS since 2001

Posts: 132 | Location: Gadsden, Al | Registered: July 22, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Yes... I comment often and highly recommend it... I use the following and variations thereof:
-* File RptTimes.fex
-* Full Name   : Report Time.  For proper display of the current time.
-* Description : This creates &RptTime from the system variable: &TOD
-* 07072009 DL : Created by Douglas Lee of Client Resources Inc.
Where the first line is added by DevStudio, and left alone as a matter of consistency. And the newest mod is always added above the most recent mod. Or, in this case, above the "created by" line. Any standardized "Flower Box" should work. Check with you client to see if they have and standardized flower boxes around...
I admit... This is, as Susannah says: this is soooo last millenium. Music But, it's also sooo visible and not easily forgotten or over-looked...

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Might be last millenium but you could also write a fex (folkexec to you S Wink) to extract "basic" documentation about all your programs.

If you keep the comments up-to-date then you have a method of updating documentation as well.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who replied - that is very appreciated. I comment my programs pretty much the same way, and was just curious to see what others did for documention internally within a program. Again, I apprciate your responses.

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi, Focus Players,
Since last millenium people still have a little right to exist, I'll simply say that my biggest problem, rather than -* Mr So and So did that, is to remember all that is available ...
My memory turns to be sooo last Millenium, and my number of Folk's Execs so big that I tend to forget.
Any Idea for a simple and brilliant Catalog ( Including some Outputs to help the memory)
Cordially and Focusely

Focus Mainframe 7.6.11
Dev Studio 7.6.11 and !!!
PC Focus, Focus for OS/2, FFW Six, MSO

Posts: 134 | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
the most brilliant catalog device i've ever seen came from francis mariani... i use it...maybe francesco will come to summit next year and make a presentation!

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Susanah / Francis, What is "The most brilliant catalog device i've ever seen came from Francis Mariani"?
Are we looking for "Adding documentation (comments) in a fex" or "producing a document which contains all the fexes in, say a particular app folder". I have created the later into a nice PDF using "TABLE FILE SYSCOLUM" back at FMDS and Chubb. I'll forage for the source code and, perhaps, pass it on. Perhaps (32) I can present it at Summit 10 (wherever that may be?)

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
My money is on Dallas for Summit 10.... any takers?

Master
posted Hide Post
If we get to vote, Dallas, Houston or San Antonio would increase my chances of getting to go againg next year.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I'd go for the Gaylord Texan Hotel & Convention Center in Grapevine (Dallas) Hotel. It's right near DFW which may be a bit more convenient for national attendance... But, there is The Gaylord National Hotel & Convention Center, On the Potomac in Maryland which may be more convenient for others... But, then again, there's always the Gaylord Palms Hotel & Convention Center & Hotel in Orlando - Kissimmee, Florida near Disney...

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
What about something a bit more exotic: US Virgin Islands? Peurto Rico?

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
That would be Great! But, how'd He put it: One hint... We really like this type of place...

Expert
posted Hide Post
we think it has to be a place where Gaylord has an operation...so that means Orlando, Dallas, DC, or Nashville.

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
we think it has to be a place where Gaylord has an operation...
I don't want to push the envelope here... But, check out Gaylord National Hotel & Convention Center. On the Potomac in Maryland... Everything In One Place. My money is on this one.

Guru
posted Hide Post
I think this thread got quite a bit off the track.... any more thoughts on documenting? Any samples out there?

Can we get back on track?

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Expert
posted Hide Post
Sure W,

Are we looking to:
1) Add documentation (comments) in a fex? Suggestions as to the best methodology to do that? Value of doing such in-line documentation which I think is invaluable - when written properly)
OR
2) Producing a document which contains all the fexes inone or more app folders?
OR
3) Parsing all fexes, mfds, htms, etc in one of more app paths and creating some documentaion based on the information retrieved?

Please answer this and this just might get back on track...

Expert
posted Hide Post
Susanah, Is this http://ufm.ibi.com/filerepo/0000/0521/Coding_Standards_for_WebFOCUS_Development.ppt the one you mentioned above (Posted Wed Jul 22 2009 09:54)? Interesting Stuff...