Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CASE-OPENED] Missing Defined FielDs

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CASE-OPENED] Missing Defined FielDs
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I'm new to WebFocus and have been through a couple of training classes. I've created a Define field in Procedure View, however, now I can't find it anywhere. Thus, I'm unable to use it in my report. The Define is simple and I could probably code it into the source, but I'm not familiar enough with the WebFocus syntax enough to do that... yet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Tony
WF 8.0/Win7

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 116 | Location: Birmingham, Al | Registered: July 23, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Pondog,

See this link:
http://infocenter.informationb...s%2Fsource%2Fctf.htm

Also, are you using DevStudio or AppStudio?

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hey Coolguy,

Thanks for the link!! I've been hunting around for this site. We covered it briefly in training but I didn't have the opportunity to bookmark it.

I'm using App Studio.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 116 | Location: Birmingham, Al | Registered: July 23, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Pondog,

No problem. In AppStudio, when creating a report via the Report Canvas (as I assume you are doing) you then hover over the Procedure View panel that has a tab on the left of your environment, and within that list should be Define just before Report. Double click that and you should be able to access any DEFINE fields you may have created to edit them or use them in further defines. If they were written successfully, then when you move back to the Report tab, they should appear in the Object Inspector on the left of the canvas for your use.

Good luck!

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
CoolGuy,

I have no problems creating the Define field. The problem is that once created I can't see it anywhere other than in the Procedure View. I don't see it in the Environment Tree or in the Object Inspector and thus, can't add it to my report.

Pondog

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pondog:
Pondog

Hi ,

Please follow below lines. I am hoping that it will solve your problems.

---------------------------------
Right Click -> New Procedure-> Comment page will open.
On the Left side, there is a procedure view Slide.
Click on the procedure view slide. In the Procedure view slide, Right click on the comment node -> Select New -> Define.
Select the master file -> Create new define -> Click Check Button.
Again go in the procedure view slide. In the Procedure view slide, Right click on the Define node->Select New -> Report.
When report page will open. You will get your new Created define field in the Object Inspector.

---------------------------------

Thanks!
@vi

WebFOCUS 8105, Dev Studio 8105, Windows 7, ALL Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hey Avinash,
I greatly appreciate your response. I followed your directions a couple of times; even to the point of closing down App Studio and coming back in fresh. Everything works fine until I go to look for the defined field in the Object Inspector and can't see it. I did a right click on the Object Inspector and selected "Find Item" and it indicates it's not there.

I can see the field in the Procedure View, and it checks out with no errors. I'm just not seeing it anywhere else.

Thanks,
Tony

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Pondog,

Avinash has described what should be done pretty well. If your virtual define fields are still not showing in the object inspector, then there must be something wrong with the define field expression(s). I've had occurrences where I've created some defines via the GUI and had similar issue despite checking for errors with my defines. I eventually discovered I had to modify those defines a bit before the Report Canvas's Obj. Inspector would register them as valid/present.

Could you post the define field expressions you've created so we can take a look at them?

Expert
posted Hide Post
Pondog,

Do you have a join in your report? and if so, did you define the new column against the joined structure?

If so, did you define the new column before or after the join?

These are common types of issue that new WF developers have and may be the problem you are having, but without seeing the code it is impossible to tell.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hey CoolGuy,

Here's my define; it's pretty simple:

IF VIEW_DIAGCODES.DEPARTMENT.DEPTDESC EQ 'MEDICINE'
THEN VIEW_DIAGCODES.DIVISIONS.DIVDESC
ELSE VIEW_DIAGCODES.DEPARTMENT.DEPTDESC

Tony A

No joins in the report. All the info is coming off a view table.

Thanks,
Tony

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I've tried going to the source to resolve the issue instead of working with the GUI. Now I'm receiving a different error. When I attempt to run I receive an "Error parsing report request" box that reads

">DEFINE<
DEFINE FILE VIEW_DIAGCODES"

Here is the code I added to the source on the first line:

DEFINE FILE VIEW_DIAGCODES
DEPTNAME/A60=
IF VIEW_DIAGCODES.DEPARTMENT.DEPTDESC EQ 'MEDICINE'
THEN VIEW_DIAGCODES.DIVISIONS.DIVDESC
ELSE VIEW_DIAGCODES.DEPARTMENT.DEPTDESC;
/D12/2=;
END

I really appreciate all the help you've offered since I've started learning this program.

Thanks,
Tony

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Pondog,

Get rid of the '/D12/2=;' line and then try running it again.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hey CoolGuy,

I removed the '/D12.2=;' and it didn't help. I had someone higher up try to create it and they were successful. They can see it whereas I can not. The told me the exact location so I could hard code it into the source. We believe it may be some kind of a permissions issue, though they say they've experienced the exact same thing in Dev Studio.

Currently, when I open the report I receive a Report Error dialog box that reads:

"The following fields were not recognized.
(Join or Defines might be missing).
VIEW_DIAGCODES.DIVISIONS.DEPTNAME
Proceed with Report Canvas?"

I select 'Yes' and the report opens. The very first time I ran the report I received a Define Error message, but then the report ran as desired. It now runs without errors (except when I initially open it), however I still can't see the defined field in my Object Inspector.

We're going to continue to work with it.

Thanks a bunch for all your help!!! You all rock!

Tony

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs