Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED - NFR Submitted] SQL Temp Table as HOLD

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED - NFR Submitted] SQL Temp Table as HOLD
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hi,

I've recently added some replies to this thread regarding the use of SAME_DB but this question is a bit different so I thought I'd start a new topic. Plus the other topic was closed some time ago.

I've been playing around with two methods of using the MS SQL Server for my HOLD files.

One method is done by using...
ON TABLE HOLD AS MYHOLD FORMAT SAME_DB
In subsequent TABLE request use TABLE FILE MYHOLD
This assumes the table referenced in your TABLE FILE statement is a SQL Table.
Advantage: very simple to implement and pretty fast response time
Disadvantage: can't get ASNAMES to work with it so Field Title information from master file is lost. Subsequent TABLE request shows Field Names instead of Titles.

The other method requires a few statements...
ENGINE SQLMSS SET TRANSACTIONS AUTOCOMMIT
ON TABLE HOLD AS #MYHOLD FORMAT SQLMSS
In subsequent TABLE request use TABLE FILE #MYHOLD
I can't be certain but I think the reason I need to set transactions to autocommit is because I have ENGINE SQLMSS SET CURSORS CLIENT in our server profile.
Advantage: ASNAMES does work with this method so Field Titles are used as Field Names in the HOLD file thus making them appear in the subsequent TABLE request.
Disadvantage: MUCH slower at returning results than the SAME_DB method! I have tried different values in the ENGINE SQLMSS SET FETCHSIZE n statement but that seems to deliver inconsistent results.

My questions are:
1) Have any of you figured out how to get ASNAMES to work with the SAME_DB method?
2) Anybody know a 'safe' way to speed up the results of the second method that works consistently?

Thanks for your time and attention.

Best regards,

Dan

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dan Pinault,

7.7.05M/7.7.03 HF6 on Windows Server 2003 SP2 output to whatever is required.

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Dan,

I don't think I have had trouble with ASNAMES and SAME_DB.

APP HOLDMETA SYNTEST

SET ASNAMES=ON

TABLE FILE TIME
PRINT 
TIME_KEY AS TK
DAY_OF_WEEK AS DOW
YQUARTER AS YQ
ON TABLE HOLD AS H001 FORMAT SAME_DB
WHERE READLIMIT EQ 100
END

Then
APP HOLDMETA SYNTEST

?FF H001

TABLE FILE H001
PRINT *
END

Result:
 TK            TK            P9
 DOW           DOW           I11
 YQ            YQ            P19
 FOC2590 - AGGREGATION NOT DONE FOR THE FOLLOWING REASON:
 FOC2594 - AGGREGATION IS NOT APPLICABLE TO THE VERB USED
 SELECT T1."TK",T1."DOW",T1."YQ" FROM #H001 T1;

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
<JG>
posted
I think Dan is talking about the TITLE attribute from the original master and not an ASNAME.

In therory SET HOLDATTR = ON should do what you want

quote:
SET HOLDATTR =[ON|OFF|FOCUS]
where:

ON
Uses the TITLE attribute as specified in the original Master File in HOLD files in any format.

However It do'nt work in 7.6.10

Either it's a bug or a incorrect documentation, either way I'd raise a case with support.

What is interesting is that ASNAMES has no effect on FORMAT SAME_DB, the AS 'name' is always used irrespective of
ON or OFF being used. (another bug)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <JG>,

Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I only have Developer Studio but I have to create many production SQL Server tables with the 'AS' fieldnames. I get around this by defining the 'AS' fields I will be holding in SQL Server:

DEFINE FILE CAR
CountryName/A10=COUNTRY;
DealerCost/D7=DEALER_COST;
RetailCost/D7=RETAIL_COST;
ModelName/A24=MODEL;
END

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
DealerCost
RetailCost
BY CountryName
BY ModelName
ON TABLE HOLD AS AS_TEST FORMAT SQLMSS
END

AS_TEST.MAS
FILENAME=AS_TEST, SUFFIX=SQLMSS , $
SEGMENT=AS_TEST, SEGTYPE=S0, $
FIELDNAME=COUNTRYNAME, ALIAS=CountryName, USAGE=A10, ACTUAL=A10, $
FIELDNAME=MODELNAME, ALIAS=ModelName, USAGE=A24, ACTUAL=A24, $
FIELDNAME=DEALERCOST, ALIAS=DealerCost, USAGE=D20.2, ACTUAL=D8, $
FIELDNAME=RETAILCOST, ALIAS=RetailCost, USAGE=D20.2, ACTUAL=D8, $

Posts: 60 | Location: Ellensburg Washington | Registered: May 22, 2009Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses everybody. I'm with JG here. I think it must be a bug. I will open a case and update when I learn something.

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Well, according to the support folks the trick is to use SET HOLDATTR = ON as JG mentioned. It did work for me. I am running 7.6.10 HF2 so I don't know if that is why it worked for me and not JG.

Now, have any of you using SAME_DB figured out how to get past the "1 PAGE 1" issue where the report stops delivering output at the end of the first "page"? I added that question to my case as well. I'll let you know if I learn anything there.

Cheers,

Dan

Guru
posted Hide Post
Oops! I spoke too soon. SET HOLDATTR = ON did not work for me.

I also did some more testing and I can't get rid of the "1 PAGE 1" text at the very beginning of the page. I also found out that if you read from a hold file that was created using the SAME_DB method it won't work with On Demand Paging. All you will get is the first page without the ODP toolbar. Oh, and you'll get the "1 PAGE 1" at the top too as a bonus!

Needless to say, the case is still open.

Guru
posted Hide Post
Well, supposedly SAME_DB does not support the use of HOLDATTR. I have submitted a NFR for this.

Also, the '1 PAGE 1' business I discovered was related to the use of TABLEF in the original query. Don't ask me how they are related but changing TABLEF to TABLE made the '1 PAGE 1' go away and now the report even works with On-Demand-Paging.

Who'd have thunk it?!?