Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] How to create a random subset of a file using the function RDUNIF or PRDUNI

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] How to create a random subset of a file using the function RDUNIF or PRDUNI
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi All,

I'm creating a new thread to better reflect the subject that is being discussed. This discussion started from another topic named "Current Date Calculation". This discussion is going to be about creating a random subset of a file.

I'm going to copy some information from the other discussion and then add to it later.

Jim

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFocus 8.201M, Windows, App Studio

Posts: 227 | Location: Lincoln Nebraska | Registered: August 12, 2008Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
This was from Hayley:

This is related in a way to your current day topic. As I need to create a hold file of randomly retrieved records, I thought I could use the lowest microseconds position in the timestamp as part of some formula to do it.

Is there some way I can access the current timestamp, convert it to A26 and parse out that final last position value? I have tried the HYYMDm function --- only with CAPS OFF in my profile --- and I can only get the smart date back, but I can't convert it successfully.

BUT, if there is a better way to get the hold file of randomly selected recods, please let me know. I have a deadline of 2 weeks for the Excel file output.

Posts: 227 | Location: Lincoln Nebraska | Registered: August 12, 2008Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
This was from me:

In looking at your first post.......here is an example of printing 3 random cars from the CAR file using a random number function. Don't know if this will be of any use, but here it is:

DEFINE FILE CAR
CAR_RAND/D12.8 WITH CAR = RDUNIF(CAR_RAND);
END
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT CAR
BY CAR_RAND
ON TABLE HOLD
END
TABLE FILE HOLD
PRINT *
WHERE RECORDLIMIT EQ 3
END

I've used this method to pull a random subset from a file and it has worked for me.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
This is Hayley's last response:

Thank you, Jim.
Using the RDUNIF function worked perfectly for me, too. As expected, I got different results from the 2 consecutive times I ran the test batch query. And since all I need is to do get one set of randomly selected projects one time within the program, this is fine.

However, there was one detail that needs to be shared for anyone else whose specs might not be the same. If I ran the function twice in the same program and using 2 different defined random number names, I got the SAME results where I would have expected an entirely different set with the different function names.

This is my base file.
---- ----
PROJ NAME
---- ----
28 PROJECT 28
49 PROJECT 49
63 PROJECT 63
74 PROJECT 74
321 PROJECT 321
502 PROJECT 502

FYI: RAND_01/D12.8 = RDUNIF(RAND_01);

DISPLAY RANDOM FILE 1
RAND_01 PROJ NAME
------- ---- ----
.16259415 28 PROJECT 28
.21508715 49 PROJECT 49
.24673269 502 PROJECT 502
.30672254 321 PROJECT 321
.69007673 63 PROJECT 63
.98673983 74 PROJECT 74

FYI: RAND_02/D12.8 = RDUNIF(RAND_02);

DISPLAY RANDOM FILE 2
RAND_02 PROJ NAME
------- ---- ----
.16259415 28 PROJECT 28
.21508715 49 PROJECT 49
.24673269 502 PROJECT 502
.30672254 321 PROJECT 321
.69007673 63 PROJECT 63
.98673983 74 PROJECT 74
*************************** Bottom of Data *

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Hayley,

You are correct, this function will create reproducible random numbers. I also found another function named PRDUNI which has another parameter that is a seed number. If you change this seed number, then you get different sets of random numbers.

Here is another example using the CAR file that shows different uses of both RDUNIF and PRDUNI:

-** THIS USES FUNCTION = RDUNIF **
-* CREATE HOLD FILE FROM CAR
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT COMPUTE CNTR/I5 = CNTR + 1;
BY CAR
ON TABLE HOLD
END
-* PRINT HOLD FILE WITH 1 RANDOM NUMBER
DEFINE FILE HOLD
RAND_01/D12.8 = RDUNIF(RAND_01);
END
TABLE FILE HOLD
PRINT CNTR CAR RAND_01
END
-* PRINT HOLD FILE WITH 2 RANDOM NUMBERS
DEFINE FILE HOLD
RAND_11/D12.8 = RDUNIF(RAND_11);
RAND_12/D12.8 = RDUNIF(RAND_12);
END
TABLE FILE HOLD
PRINT CNTR CAR RAND_11 RAND_12
END
DEFINE FILE HOLD
RAND_21/D12.8 = RDUNIF(RAND_21);
RAND_22/D12.8 = RDUNIF(RAND_22);
RAND_23/D12.8 = RDUNIF(RAND_23);
END
TABLE FILE HOLD
PRINT CNTR CAR RAND_21 RAND_22 RAND_23
END
-** THIS USES FUNCTION = PRDUNI **
-** THE FIRST PARM IS A SEED NUMBER **
-* PRINT HOLD FILE WITH 1 RANDOM NUMBER
DEFINE FILE HOLD
RAND_01/D12.8 = PRDUNI(40, RAND_01);
END
TABLE FILE HOLD
PRINT CNTR CAR RAND_01
END
DEFINE FILE HOLD
RAND_11/D12.8 = PRDUNI(50, RAND_11);
RAND_12/D12.8 = PRDUNI(50, RAND_12);
END
TABLE FILE HOLD
PRINT CNTR CAR RAND_11 RAND_12
END
DEFINE FILE HOLD
RAND_21/D12.8 = PRDUNI(60, RAND_21);
RAND_22/D12.8 = PRDUNI(60, RAND_22);
RAND_23/D12.8 = PRDUNI(60, RAND_23);
END
TABLE FILE HOLD
PRINT CNTR CAR RAND_21 RAND_22 RAND_23
END

I hope this can maybe help others......I think I learned something today.

Thanks Hayley!!

Jim