Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] [over and out] App Studio v8.0.09 will apparently fix a lot of issues
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] [over and out] App Studio v8.0.09 will apparently fix a lot of issues
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
The many bug/feature fixes in App Studio v8.0.09 suggest very poor QA was done in App Studio v8.0.09 and older. I cannot believe some of the stuff that is getting fixed. These are the cases I opened, I'm sure there's probably a lot more (I just scratched the surface).

• 12653562 - AS: How to move tabs within an HTML Composer Tab control
  • 12533530 - AS8008: Find dialog box cannot switch between two open fexes
  • 12513544 - AS:NFR:Add context menu to Text Editor
  • 12103566 - AppStudio: Refresh View does not refresh contents of Web app [NOTE: Nothing refreshes]
  • 12103561 - AppStudio WebApp area: cannot right-click to create new file
  • 12103560 - AppStudio : Web Apps: Environments Detail all files 0 bytes
  • 12103522 - AppStudio add js file not working

Not yet:

• 12533528 - NFR:AppStudio: respect Windows mouse wheel scroll setting
  • 12513530 - NFR:APPSTUDIO:Make entity properties selectable
  • 12103548 - NFR: Improve file filter to show more than one file type
  • 12103525 - AS: Created, Last Modified By are blank in HTML Properties

Closed, but a big shame

• 12103529 - How to edit an HTML file in the AppStudio text editor

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Francis,

I completely agree with you regarding the editing of HTML files in App Studio text editor. Giving us that capability would certainly help us to create what our clients desire.

WebFOCUS 8008
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
In my absolutely personal opinion they have taken the "Developer" out of App Studio and it shows.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post

• 12683534 - AS: NFR - allow selection of multiple files in Environ. Det.
  • 12683536 - AS: Env. Detail should respect Win Date/Time format

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
What about the Mouse Right Click menu in the text editor?

I use that a lot for commenting/un-commenting.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Expert
posted Hide Post
Matt, please open a case - I don't want to be the only one doing QA on this!

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post

• 12683545 - AS: title bar becomes transparent after remote session
  • 12683547 - AS: Env. Detail does not have sort indicator

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Master
posted Hide Post
The more and more I think about App Studio / HTML Composter, the more and more I think they should just get out of creating a web editor all together. All that it really provides is a JS/CSS/XML library. Why not just create a library and find a free HTML Editing tool (like they do with so many other things like Derby) And make it an add on package. Something that would allow me to use DreamWeaver or whatever HTML tool that I want. Essentially a WFQuery. Then if they were to actually document their functions and everything like JQuery does, we wouldn't be constantly complaining about it ripping up code every time we need to do REAL web development.

Lets face it, I love the flexibility of WF and I like it for being a report development tool. What they have never been good at is building an HTML editor. Either put in the money and resources to make it a respectable editor, or cut your losses and focus on the functionality of the libraries instead of trying to figure out what html tags do what. I've been working with this tool for over 7 years, and I can't believe that they still have no concept of a span tag.... basic CSS circa what? the 1990s?

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Amen.

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
John,

If you see a need to edit an HTML Canvas file, please open a case and we will add the ability to the GUI. In the recent past, a customer stated 4 things they needed to do and required the editor for them. We had a WebEx with them and each of the 4 things was able to be done in the GUI. They were quite happy to know that. So, we will look at your items and take it from there.

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Information Builders, Inc.
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com

Master
posted Hide Post
David. Two words...

Span Tag

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
This customer would like an HTML editor added to Application Studio. It's ridiculous it's not built in.

Francis

Master
posted Hide Post
Francis,

Since you seem to have been working a lot in app studio. If you were to be given an HTML page, that you needed to add a report to, can you do that in App Studio?

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Expert
posted Hide Post
Not yet! I tried and couldn't figure it out. The HTML GUI tool (whatever it's called now) ain't the same as Dev Studio. Of course I haven't read the manual, but a GUI tool is supposed to be intuitive. I tried creating an HTML page with a tab component. I couldn't figure out how to add a report within a tab. In Dev Studio, I would add an iframe within each tab, right-click on the iframe and add a Hyperlink. The workflow does not appear to be the same.

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
There are several incorrect statements in this posting:

1. We have not written an HTML authoring tool, and we don't want to. We have a facility for creating web pages to run parameterized WebFOCUS Reports and Charts. We don't want to be Dreamweaver.

2. We do not surface raw HTML tags. We surface known entities like "listbox", and generate "SELECT" tag in this case. "Text" generates a SPAN tag

3. Drawing an iframe in a tab continues to put a report or chart, etc in the tab

4. "Intuitive" is a loaded word. Everyone knows that you can enter values in an Excel spreadsheet, but when it comes to mail labels, you may need to read some documentation since it's not too common to do. So everything cannot be intuitive.

5. Lastly, I resent the use of derogatory terms like "composter", so if you want a spirited discussion, avoid doing that or I will stop replying.

David Glick
WebFOCUS Division
Direct (917) 339-5560
Fax (212) 947-5168

Expert
posted Hide Post
WHERE IS THE WORD COMPOSTER IN THIS THREAD?

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
Read the thread and you will see it...

David Glick
WebFOCUS Division
Direct (917) 339-5560
Fax (212) 947-5168

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I 2nd Eric post about Composer..

David, can you comment on the following Post, thanks

http://forums.informationbuild...1057331/m/5687078276

Thanks

Prod/Dev/Test: WF 8.1.5 on (Windows Server 2012 R2 )
SandBox: WebFocus Server 8.1.5 on Windows Server 2008 R2
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.1.5 and Developer Studio 8.1.5 on Windows 7

Posts: 134 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2008Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Glick:
There are several incorrect statements in this posting:

1. We have not written an HTML authoring tool, and we don't want to. We have a facility for creating web pages to run parameterized WebFOCUS Reports and Charts. We don't want to be Dreamweaver.

Without some way of editing HTML in a text editor, I will not be able to use App Studio. I don't mind using HTML Composer or what ever it's called in AS for new development, but I still need to be able to support our older stuff that is used more frequently and can't be opened in Composer.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Expert
posted Hide Post
On a windows machine, there's still the option of "edit in windows associated tool", which can be changed within windows.

Of course, windows then only gives you the options of Excel, Word or Notepad in Internet options and I'm not keen on any of those. Notepad if I'm pushed.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I would prefer this Smiler

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Expert
posted Hide Post
I set EditPlus as the default Windows program for .htm files. In App Studio v8.0.08 I can then choose an htm file, right click and select "Edit in Windows associated tool". I would prefer this Windows associated tool to open within a window of App Studio, to perhaps guarantee that the temporary file generated by the edit action will actually be saved back to the REPOSITORY. I've had occasional issues with editing with the external program - upon Saving in EditPlus, the file does not get saved back to the Repository, and in App Studio v8.0.08 the Last Update Date/Time is not updated, so you have to quit and restart to see if the files was saved.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would prefer this

Me too, especially when adding jQuery into my composer pages in Dev Studio.

However, you can import the jQuery library into your composer page without the dreaded "This file has been manually modified" error in Developer Studio.

Add the code shown in the screen shot to the "Embedded JavaScript" in an HTML composer page and the jQuery syntax will be available to you.

If you want to copy / paste the code then here it is for you -

//Begin function window_onload
function window_onload() {

loadjQuery();

UpdateData();

// Test that jQuery is available
$(document).ready(function() {
  alert("Hello World");
});

// TODO: Add your event handler code here
//add onInitialUpdate() function to make changes before initial run of the reports
}
//End function window_onload

function loadjQuery() {
  var element = document.createElement('script');
  element.async = false;
  element.src = '/ibi_apps/ibi_html/javaassist/jquery/jquery_min.js';
  element.type = 'text/javascript';
  (document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0]||document.body).appendChild(element);
}

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Tony,

I'm still a bit confused. Are you saying that you got this code to work in App Studio or just in Dev Studio? I'm hoping for App Studio!

Thanks,
John

WebFOCUS 8008
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi John,

If I create the HTML page in Dev Studio then it will run from both dev studio and app studio (un-opened).

If I were to try and create (from scratch) this in App Studio then I wouldn't need to add the jQuery library as it is already added for you.

Or are you meaning something else other than pre-loading jQuery libraries?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
wouldn't need to add the jQuery library as it is already added for you

As far as I can tell, an old version of jQuery is added. I apologize is this is not true.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
an old version of jQuery is added

You are quite right Francis, currently my 8.0.0.8 install adds v1.9.1 - which I guess was the acceptable version to IB when compiling the release?

I guess that there's nothing stopping you from adding the latest release if you wanted to - with the normal safeguards of course Smiler

There are other jQuery libraries added at the same time such as mobile, UI and flip to name but 3.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Expert
posted Hide Post
As usual, the product is very inconsistent - v1.9.1 is included HTML pages generated by App Studio, but some antique version is included in Accordion reports.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
but some antique version is included in Accordion reports

I've just created an accordion report in App Studio and there is no jQuery library added that I can see?

Did you mean some other format?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Expert
posted Hide Post
Oops! I meant Active HTML reports.

Francis