Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Call URL from WF App, and do NOT let URL be available at browser.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Call URL from WF App, and do NOT let URL be available at browser.
 Login/Join

Master
posted
Greetings,

I am opening a new window from my launch page.

I am using the window.open method in JavaScript to do this.

I notice that after I close the window, the URL that I loaded in the window,
is stored in my IE History Folder.

My question is: Is there any way for me to show my user a URL, within a new window, without the URL being stored within my History Folder?

For example here is a snippet of my code:

-HTMLFORM BEGIN
// Construct the URL. The URL will be a call
// to IB.
var Wurl = 'http://www.informationbuilders.com/?'
+ 'DATETIME=' + (new Date()).getTime();
// Load the URL, into the popup window.
rptWindow.location.href=Wurl;
-HTMLFORM END

When I run this code, I see the IB website in my new child window.

When I close the child window and open my History I see the IB URL.

Can I 'call' the URL, in such a way that it is not stored in my History file.

Perhaps another way to ask the question is: I am currently calling the URL from the browser (presentation layer).
Can I call the URL from my application (application layer)?

Thank you for your consideration.

Regards,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Mabel>,

<Pietro De Santis>
posted
David, it's unfortunately not possible.

Take a look at this for some ideas or hints:

http://developer.irt.org/script/244.htm

Cheers,

Pietro.

Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Hi Pietro and Forum,

Yes, I see now that what I was asking for is not possible.

Could I extend this thread a bit?

Is it possible to do a 'HTTP Request' from WebFOCUS (application layer)?

The vendor of the web software product, that I want to access from WebFOCUS, has informed me that I can do a 'HTTP Request' to their web application.

In other words, I can make call to their page, and have the results (HTML, XML,...) return to my application (WebFOCUS). I could then store the results in a file, and then read, parse, and do anything I need to do to create a final page to be passed to the browser (presentation layer) via -HTMLFORM BEGIN.

Has anyone done anything like this in WebFOCUS?

Is there some sort of 'GET' command, where I can go get a page via HTTP?

I am thinking that with this method, I can keep the URL, and its parameters, from being obtainable at the browser.

Thank you to all for your consideration.

Regards,
Dave

<Pietro De Santis>
posted
Dave,

As far as I know, the data or file you want to access by WebFOCUS must be on the same server as the WebFOCUS server, which is not necessarily the web server.

If you want to use HTMLFORM to present the data, it must be available on the WebFOCUS server.

I was thinking about your original request, and what about, upon closing the window, you replace the URL in history. I'm not sure if this will work, but it might.
<body onUnload="location.replace(URL)">
You may be able to even do
history(-1) = replacementURL;
Try here:
http://www.physiol.ox.ac.uk/Computing/Online_Documentat...location.htm#1194240

or Google this: javascript history replace

Good luck,

Francis.

Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I *think* I'm *somewhat* clear about what you're trying to do. You have already-prepared content on another server you're trying to include on a web page that's largely rendered by the WebFOCUS server. If that's what it is you're trying to do, you *can* do this on the *web* - it doesn't need to go through the WebFOCUS server to end up as part of your final web page.

Say you're getting a table of data from somewhere else. You can write code to get that data using HTTP... and this can be done either from the web server side - this is how many ASP or JSP applications work - or you can do it from the client side using JavaScript. Java, .Net and JavaScript all have methods that allow the application processor to make HTTP requests, receive an inbound stream from the external source, and do something with it... like place it in the page.

You can also use a "redirect" method to place content on your page. [IMG] tags, for example, can redirect to get content, and so can [iframe] regions on your web page. An iframe might be the simplest way to do this in fact! You need only to set the SRC property of the iframe to the URL from which you want to obtain the content. If it's a totally different web server, make sure it's a trusted one, otherwise you might trigger a cross-site scripting security error.

hope this helps.

<Pietro De Santis>
posted
Bob, very interesting.
quote:

Say you're getting a table of data from somewhere else. You can write code to get that data using HTTP... and this can be done either from the web server side - this is how many ASP or JSP applications work - or you can do it from the client side using JavaScript. Java, .Net and JavaScript all have methods that allow the application processor to make HTTP requests, receive an inbound stream from the external source, and do something with it... like place it in the page.
Are there any tips, techniques, samples anywhere on the IBI site?

Thanks,

Pietro,

Report This Post
<Kyle>
posted
If you can get the data in XML format, you can use WebFOCUS's XML data access capabilities. WebFOCUS allows you to FILEDEF a URL for accessing an XML data source. You could simply point to a file staged on another server (http://localhost/data.xml) or you could point to a dynamic page that generates the XML document (http://localhost/getData.jsp). You could even pass parameters (&variables) to this URL.

Example
=======
FILEDEF XMLDATA HTTP http://test/getData.jsp?p1=&CID

TABLE FILE XMLDATA

Report This Post