Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
WebFOCUS and AS400
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Until today, the only data we have accessed with WebFOCUS resided on UNIX using the FILEDEF statement.

With the purchase of the AS400 Adapter, we can now access data on the AS400 if only I knew how to point WebFOCUS to the data on AS400.

Thanks,
Glenda

Glenda

In FOCUS Since 1990
Production 8.2 Windows

Posts: 301 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: July 07, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
fyi, ibm announced that they are replacing their green screen query tools on the AS400 with webfocus, beginning with the next release of the as400 operating system.
cool, yes?
I didn't know there was an 'as400 adapter', we have the wf reporting server (eda) installed on the as400 itself with DB2 adapters to read dbs.
We have a second partition of the as400, which doesn't have eda on it, and we were told that there was no way to read the db2 files there unless we installed eda on that partition as well.
So, i'm interested to hear what exactly this 'as400' adapter is.
On our windows box, we open the webfocus console and configure a remote server to the ip address of the as400... and give that connection a name...then in a fex launched on our windows box, we use a REMOTE command to ship fex code up to the as400, run it, and bring data back down. That means we build masters and .acx files on the as400 for each of the db2 files we use. the version 7 tool for doing that is so cool!

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
fyi, ibm announced that they are replacing their green screen query tools on the AS400 with webfocus, beginning with the next release of the as400 operating system.
cool, yes?

That is cool. I was on an AS400 for 7 years doing Focus Reporting. I miss it.

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I was a little confused also as to what the AS400 Adapter is.
In the DB2 world, you can access DB2 on several different platforms by defining those instances to the DB2 client, which resides on the same platform as the WF Reporting server. DB2 handles all the connections instead of WF. Using this, we access DB2/UDB on three different Linux platforms as well as MVS without having to have a reporting server on all those platforms.
I don't know if the same would be true in the AS400 world, but I would think there would be a client that is installed on Unix that could use it's own access methods for getting to DB2400. Last question would be whether that client is supported as a WF data source.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
WebFOCUS can now run on the AS400. That is a WebFOCUS Client along with a webserver, and the Reporting Server. Or if you want the WebFOCUS Reporting Server olone and you can put the WebFOCUS Client on another platform like Windows. With the WebFOCUS Reporting Server on AS400 the is no longer a need to issue REMOTE commands. It can also be configured as a hub to connect to other servers in the enterprise allowing for cross-platform cross-database joins. Susannah I guess you have the WebFOCUS Reporting Server on one platform configured with a sub server to your AS400 Server. Glenda, I you are in Texas. you might try calling techsupport or your local branch if you need assistance installing / configuring the AS400 Adapter. Susannah I think the AS400 Adapter is the same as the EDA Adapter.

Scott

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I didn't sound like Glenda was referring to installing a WF Server on AS400. That has been available for many years. It sounded like she had purchased some additional adapter which was supposed to get to data on the AS400 without having a WF server there. Don't know how that would work.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
me neither, Darin. i'm curious what it is that Glenda's group has purchased.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Darin, your right the server for the AS400 has been around for quite a while but the ability to run the WebFOCUS Client in the AS400 is relativity new. Another possibility is the iWay Adapter for the AS400.

Scott

Guru
posted Hide Post
We have a SQL adapter on the AS400. WebFOCUS is installed on our AIX box. For security reasons we do not want the connection predefined to WebFOCUS. We want the connection established through code at the time of execution similar to filedef statements.

We have already requested information from IBI and were told the only other way is by DBA within the Master File Descriptions. Does anyone know of a less cumbersome method?

Thanks,
Glenda

Glenda

In FOCUS Since 1990
Production 8.2 Windows

Posts: 301 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: July 07, 2004Report This Post