Focal Point
Suggested List of Topics for possible Inclusion in FAQ Forum Section

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/7921035672

March 17, 2008, 12:19 PM
hammo1j
Suggested List of Topics for possible Inclusion in FAQ Forum Section
Hi I lifted this into a separate Topic. The idea is to point out items that feature frequently on the forums and turn them into FAQs.

This saves us from the same tired topics coming up again and again.

quote:

Kerry

Would it be possible to have a FAQ section which I think would have to be under the control of the moderator, but uses the input of posters?

John

IMHO so far the list reads

1. Excel templates for styling spreadsheets.
2. Using functions with Alpha Arguments in DM.

Any more suggestions?

Hi John and all,

A FAQ section sounds interesting. Let me bring this suggestion in and see what/how/where we can start from.

Keep the suggestions/comments coming please.

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo
March 17, 2008, 05:06 PM
susannah
happy st. patricks day , everyone.
I think your idea, John, is what is sortof addressed in the 'Focus on Developers' articles section, at least it should be.
What do you think?

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID
March 17, 2008, 06:02 PM
Darin Lee
What SHOULD BE and what ACTUALLY IS is not that much different. However, what forum users SHOULD DO and what they ACTUALLY DO are miles apart. We're trying to come up with a way for users to or to encourage users to) more easily find answers to those commonly-asked questions - short of requiring them to take an online course before being allowed to use the forum (but that may be a good idea too!) Idea

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat
March 18, 2008, 09:14 AM
Prarie
quote:
short of requiring them to take an online course before being allowed to use the forum (but that may be a good idea too!)

That is a good idea. I've often wondered because the Find button at the top of the forum does not say Search...people don't use it...??
I'm not sure what they are told when joining up..but "Search the Forum before Asking" is a good start!

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003
It may be we require a sticky with what to do before you post rather than FAQs.

I further the idea that you change that "Find" button to a "Search" button rendered in FI3278 Inverse Flashing Pink

CRTFORM LINE 1 
" <.INV.FLA.PINK.T.SEARCH> "

I'm intrigued. Is there such a thing as an online webfocus course?

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo
yes John, there is online learning
https://education.informationbuilders.com/edu/courses/elearning/elearning.html

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID
How about a Pink flashing message that pops up before you post a new question...Have you searched the Forum..before you are asking this? Wink

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003