Focal Point
Reading from an excel spread sheet?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/7931008331

September 22, 2004, 03:37 PM
newtofocus
Reading from an excel spread sheet?
I have data in an excel spread sheet that I need to read. Any ideas on how to set this up as a data source and read it.

Thanks.
September 22, 2004, 03:51 PM
<Vipul>
These are the steps:
1. Step 1: Create an ODBC Data Source
Creating an ODBC DataSource under Windows 2000
Goto Start -> Settings->Control Panel -> Administrative tools -> Data Sources (ODBC)
Under the System DSN tab, click on ADD.
Select Microsoft Excel Driver
Type in a name for your Data Source
Click 'Select Workbook' and path to your Excel file.
Step 2. Configure WebFOCUS 5.2.x for Excel

Edit file EDASERVE.CFG (i.e. drive:ibi\srv52\wfs\bin\EDASERVE.CFG) and add the following line:
odbc_access = y

Edit file EDASPROF.PRF (i.e. drive:\ibi\srv52\wfs\etc\EDASPROF.PRF) and add the following lines:

ENGINE SQLODBC SET CONNECTION_ATTRIBUTES data source name/,

Step 3. Create a Synonym to Access the Data in WebFOCUS

Vipul
September 23, 2004, 06:56 PM
susannah
How to Access Data from an Excel Spreadsheet via WebFOCUS
Abstract: This document discusses how to access data from an Excel spreadsheet via WebFOCUS.
http://techsupport.informationbuilders.com/tech/wbf/wbf_tcn_068.html
September 24, 2004, 05:20 PM
Stan
I want to take a step back and ask a question here...Is this a one time read of a spreadsheet or will you want to be able to change the spreadsheet on a regular basis. While the above ways will support either, if you are just reading a static spreadsheet that you don't change, there may be an easier way to read the spreadsheet. For example, if you just have a list of one column that never changes, you can FILEDEF to a txt version of the spreadsheet. If you have a one time read of more columns, you might find it easier to FILEDEF to it and build an MFD for it. Guess I need more info to answer this one.

Stan