Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Selecting on the max value of a field [SOLVED]

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Selecting on the max value of a field [SOLVED]
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I have a very simple file that contains two fields, TSS_STORE and FYRQTR (fiscal year and quarter).

What I want to be able to do is select only the records that equal the maximum value in the FYRQTR field and put those into a hold file called TSS.

Im very new to coding in Webfocus, so please excuse the newbie questions. Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: manglum,

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
BY HIGHEST number

Doc: Creating Reports With WebFOCUS Language > Sorting Tabular Reports > Sorting Rows >

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
BY HIGHEST 1 SEATS

ON TABLE HOLD AS TSS
END

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
WOW. Simpler than I thought.

Thanks so much for the quick reply, Francis!

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi manglum,

Please edit your first post in this thread and add [SOLVED] or [CLOSED] to the title to we all know that this question has been answered.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hello Manglum,

You might want to consider getting a copy of the WebFOCUS Keysheet for these nit picking things. A handy quick reference guide to the whole of the WebFOCUS language. You can get it at www.aviter.com --- either PDF or book form.

Good luck with your new endeavors with WebFOCUS.
Vivian

Vivian Perlmutter
Aviter, Inc.

WebFOCUS Keysheet Rel. 8.0.2
(Almost) 1001 Ways to Work with Dates thru Rel. 8.0.2
Focus since 1982
WebFOCUS since the beginning
Vivian@aviter.com

Posts: 191 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: April 29, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you Vivian, I'll ask my supervisor if we have it in the budget to purchase a copy.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
Vivian, I'm surprised Information Builders hasn't stopped you from selling the WebFOCUS Keysheet - isn't knowledge of the WebFOCUS language forbidden in this Brave GUI World?

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
LOL --- Knowledge of the WebFOCUS language will never go away --- dissemination of knowledge should never go away --- now, whether or not the future "coders" will be able to continue to use that knowledge, well, hmmmmmmmm....

Would be very unfortunate if it completely disappears along with all the great functionality you can achieve when you are forced to THINK.

Vivian Perlmutter
Aviter, Inc.

Focus since 1982
Vivian@aviter.com

Posts: 191 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: April 29, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Well, I've noticed a trend when opening Tech Support cases - there's no interest unless the problem can be reproduced via a GUI built report or HTML file. Me - I'm not interested in this trend whatsoever.

Francis

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I cant imagine having to use MS Access or Excel without being able to code my own VBA and rely completely on the GUI. Id have to quit my job or greatly lower expectations.

I felt the same way when I worked in web development.

I hope Webfocus doesnt head in that direction.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
seconded...

the GUI is just not nearly powerful enough to handle what I do in code... and when it is, its so cumbersome I switch back to code anyways.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vivian:
Hello Manglum,

You might want to consider getting a copy of the WebFOCUS Keysheet for these nit picking things. A handy quick reference guide to the whole of the WebFOCUS language. You can get it at www.aviter.com --- either PDF or book form.

Good luck with your new endeavors with WebFOCUS.
Vivian

Interesting. Do you have anything thru Rel. 8.1.05?

Hallway

Prod: 8202M1
Test: 8202M4
Repository:

Outputs:

Posts: 608 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA | Registered: November 18, 2015Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Goes through version 8.0 - I don't think there were commands added in 8.1 -- but if I am wrong, please feel free to forward them to me and we will add them.

By the way, For Francis --- IBI worked with us editing the Keysheet for about 6 years. Gerry has been a huge fan of the Keysheets.

Vivian Perlmutter
Aviter, Inc.

Focus since 1982
Vivian@aviter.com

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
has been

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Vivian,
Get the new features document, here are a couple/few:

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Tom,
All the functions listed as 8.1 enhancements are in fact part of WebFOCUS (chapter 3). The one exception is the POWER function. I will add this to a future version of the Keysheet.

WebFOCUS 8.0.2, FOCUS since 1977 - John@Aviter.com
PDF , Excel, FOCUS, Author of the Keysheets and Dates book.
www.Aviter.com

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
The function POWER is available by using the double asterisk. If that is what the documentation is referencing, then that function is in the Keysheet as well.

www.Aviter.com

Expert
posted Hide Post
I feel like a purchase coming on.

Last one was at 8.0.2

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Vivian,
You stated the Keysheet goes through 8.0; these are new/enhanced date functions for 8.1:

DTADD
DTDIFF
DTPART
DTRUNC

There are quite a few new character functions as well:

TOKEN
LPAD
RPAD
DIGITS
SUBSTRING (FINALLY!!!)
etc...

If you already have these, GREAT! Just chiming in for informational purposes...

Have a great day...

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I believe all the DATE functions are included. Some of the character functions might be new. I will look them up and add any functions that are missing. Some of the IBI documentation may be indicating the functions are new to the GUI interface. The enormous list of functions supported by WebFOCUS compounds the development of the GUI interface. At the same time, the DTRUNC, TOKEN, LPAD, RPAD, and DIGITS functions may in fact be new. We do include STRTOKEN and SUBSTR functions.
Note that the DATE functions are included in the Keysheet and the Dates books.

www.Aviter.com

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John W Price:
I believe all the DATE functions are included. Some of the character functions might be new. I will look them up and add any functions that are missing. Some of the IBI documentation may be indicating the functions are new to the GUI interface. The enormous list of functions supported by WebFOCUS compounds the development of the GUI interface. At the same time, the DTRUNC, TOKEN, LPAD, RPAD, and DIGITS functions may in fact be new. We do include STRTOKEN and SUBSTR functions.
Note that the DATE functions are included in the Keysheet and the Dates books.

There is what I believe to be a mistake in WebFOCUS Keysheet 8.0.2. At the top of page 53 this:

ACROSS [HIGHEST] field [AS option]

Should be:

ACROSS [HIGHEST] field [AS col_name] option

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 594 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 04, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi John,
My last 2 cents:

SUBSTR(length, source_string, start, end, sublength, output)
vs
SUBSTRING(source_string, start_position, length_limit)

DATEDIF('from_date', 'to_date', 'component')
vs
DTDIFF(end_date, start_date, component)

STRTOKEN(string, delimiters) (MAINTAIN only)
vs
GETTOK(source_string, length, token#, 'delim', outlen, output) Reporting
vs
TOKEN(string, delimiter, number) Reporting

Just showing the NEW differences, the streamlined functionality, and, they are not just for the GUI...
These are to streamline, optimize and get in line with SQL, imo...

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Expert
posted Hide Post
I really like the simplified character functions.

Very nice.

I use TOKEN all the time.

The only issue I have with TOKEN is that when I tried -1 it returned nothing.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984