Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] WITH in Define and Infoassist

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] WITH in Define and Infoassist
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi,

how can I create a Define in Infoassist with WITH Option??

Can't find it, but it has to werk, because after Manipulation it with Texteditor, it's still running with Infoassist.

Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I don't see the WITH option for DEFINE. However, editing the code doesn't always lead to not being able to open it with InfoAssist.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Jenni

I'm not sure why they don't have that option in InfoAssist as I do see it available with App Studio. If it doesn't prevent you from opening it in the GUI again then Babak's suggestion is the only way. You can open a new feature request for that as well.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
This is probably a stupid question, but here goes... What is the WITH option? When searching with IBI's stellar (heavy on the sarcasm) search, I get this:
quote:
No pages were found containing "with".
Wow! Not a single page in IBI's docs contain the word 'with'

Hallway

Prod: 8202M1
Test: 8202M4
Repository:

Outputs:

Posts: 608 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA | Registered: November 18, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
When you create a DEFINE or COMPUTE that doesn't reference any real fields you associate it with a field using WITH.

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I finally found it using a Google search.

Funny how Google can find it sifting through the entire internet, but IBI search can't even find it in their own docs.

Hallway

Repository:

Outputs:

Posts: 608 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA | Registered: November 18, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I think Magnify Search stands for just that. Magnifies the time it takes to find something useful. Whatever dev thought that name up #nailedIt!

IBI Search button event handler:

if(userInput){
Label.Text = "Sorry, we can't find it.";
}

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
https://webfocusinfocenter.inf...ang/source/dif53.htm

Search for Using Virtual Fields.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Oh, we found it. It's just that someone that's inexperienced, and doesn't know the keyword WITH is used in context with virtual field creation, shouldn't have to know to search for "Using Virtual Fields" to find what they need. They should be able to type "WITH" and get to where they need to.

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
When you create a DEFINE or COMPUTE that doesn't reference any real fields you associate it with a field using WITH.

So help me understand this. I get my DEFINEd and COMPUTEd fields in the code below without using WITH

-SET &ECHO=ALL;

SET BYDISPLAY = ON 

DEFINE FILE CAR
RANDOMFIELD/I11 = 1
END

TABLE FILE car
SUM SALES
RANDOMFIELD
COMPUTE RANDOMFIELDTOO/I11 = LAST RANDOMFIELDTOO + 1;
BY COUNTRY
BY RANDOMFIELD
BY CAR 
BY MODEL
ON TABLE RECOMPUTE
END

Hallway

Repository:

Outputs:

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, we found it. It's just that someone that's inexperienced, and doesn't know the keyword WITH is used in context with virtual field creation, shouldn't have to know to search for "Using Virtual Fields" to find what they need. They should be able to type "WITH" and get to where they need to.

Exactly. Where in Google you can type 'WebFOCUS with' and get 9 different search suggestions before you even search. Granted, they weren't perfect. It was after all the second search suggestion. Wink

Hallway

Repository:

Outputs:

Master
posted Hide Post

Wink

Hallway

Repository:

Outputs:

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
ok, so back to my question..

You also can't create a with field with Infoassist ?

No invisible button to click or something?

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
InfoAssist has no WITH for DEFINE or COMPUTE.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
When you use WITH option the value changes when the field value associated to it changes:
In the below example CNTR1 and CNTR2 has the same expression but behaves very different.
Also if you want to create just the virtual fields without using any actual table column you can use WITH

DEFINE FILE CAR
CNTR1/D2 WITH COUNTRY = CNTR1+1;
CNTR2/D2 = CNTR2+1;
END
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
CNTR1
CNTR2
MODEL
CAR
BY COUNTRY
END

DEFINE FILE CAR
CNTR2/D2 = CNTR2+1;
END
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
CNTR1
CNTR2

END  

WF 8.2.04
Windows/Unix
All Formats
In Focus since 2006

Posts: 74 | Location: UK | Registered: September 17, 2018Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Addy, nice! *standing ovation/applause* Thank you. Smiler

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Addy:
When you use WITH option the value changes when the field value associated to it changes:
In the below example CNTR1 and CNTR2 has the same expression but behaves very different.
Also if you want to create just the virtual fields without using any actual table column you can use WITH

Now THAT is an explanation I can wrap my head around. Thank you Addy.
Good One

Hallway

Repository:

Outputs:

Expert
posted Hide Post
Excellent... aside from the Grunting, Groaning, and Sarcasm... Smiler

Check this out just for grins and giggles...
DEFINE FILE CAR
CNTR2/D2 = CNTR2+1;
END
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
-*CNTR1
CNTR2
MODEL
CAR
BY CNTR1 BY COUNTRY
END

-*Duplicate DEFINE isn't needed.
-*DEFINE FILE CAR
-*CNTR1/D2 WITH COUNTRY = CNTR1+1;
-*CNTR2/D2 = CNTR2+1;
-*END
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
CNTR1
CNTR2
END  

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post