Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Problem scheduling/running fex from ReportCaster with multi-select variable

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Problem scheduling/running fex from ReportCaster with multi-select variable
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I have an fex that runs perfectly from MRE but am having a couple of problems with scheduling it...

(1) On the multi-select parameters, it shows and only allows me to select the "No selection" option. It does not show the other choices that are appearing when ran from MRE (WHERE PCD EQ &Pcd.(OR(FIND PCD IN EISBOD)).Division.; ).

(2) If I go ahead and run it with the "No selection" option, it appears to pass 'FOC_NONE' to the fex and does not run but gives an error saying "THE TEST VALUE IS LONGER THAN THE FIELD FORMAT LENGTH: FOC_NONE" (in the schedule log). Upon searching the forum on FOC_NONE (huge topic), I can see where it appears that when ran from the scheduler, FOC_NONE does not get "handled" the same way and that it is using the literal value (an 8 character string 'FOC_NONE') to test against a 3 character value (PCD in this case). Isn't there an easier way around this than having to "code" around every WHERE statement to not execute if 'FOC_NONE' ?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JDroke,

________________________________________________________________________________________
WebFOCUS 7.6.8 + Windows Server 2003 + DB2/400

Posts: 66 | Location: Nashville, TN, USA | Registered: January 16, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
aha
you've found the reason why i never use FOC_NONE
I use 'ALL'
-SET &filterparm=IF &MYPARM IS 'ALL' THEN '' ELSE 'IF FIELD IS ' | &MYPARM ;
TABLE FILE ...
&filterparm
SUM THIS BY THAT
END
..I don't know if that's the only way, but its the reason i have never used FOC_NONE and never will.
Sorry this isn't the answer you want, but if you go over and order a grilled cheeseburger at Rotier's, you'll feel better about it.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I didn't get a chance to use 'All' since I was using a Report Painter and a dynamic list from a file. 'No selection' was what I got and it translates that to FOC_NONE.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 66 | Location: Nashville, TN, USA | Registered: January 16, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
a grilled cheeseburger at Rotier's
Tell them Susannah (or FrankDutch) sent you and you'll be presented with a knife and fork with which to eat it! Wink

Time to get your hands dirty with coding - if you haven't already!

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Tony is making jokes.....
Nobody will ever eat an burger at Rotier's with knife and fork .... Red Face

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I didn't get a chance to try this because we had an open case that took over 3 months to get solved. I am now back on the WebFOCUS project. I don't see how I can use "All" since (1) I am doing a FIND on the database and "ALL" is not a value in the database field that I'm doing the FIND on and (2) "ALL" is still longer than some of our variables which I do a FIND on since some are 1 character codes like order status. Did I miss something? Someone said something about programming and (as a programmer) - I'm all in for that but the question is how?

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
(WHERE PCD EQ &Pcd.(OR(FIND PCD IN EISBOD)).Division.; ).

change your filter
-SET &myfilter = IF &Pcd EQ 'ALL' THEN '' ELSE
'WHERE PCD EQ ...etc...
then, just as in the example,
TABLE FILE ...
&myfilter
will either exist or not
'not' iff 'ALL'

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I want it to prompt with all of the distinct values in the PCD column of the database. Will your example do that and still optionally allow the user to enter "All" (which is not a value in the database)? What if the PCD column is 1 character in length, will that work comparing it to a 3 character (All) value?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JDroke,

Gold member
posted Hide Post
This solution worked. I didn't need "ALL" since that was already supplied by the multi-select.

The only downside is that I can't bring the report up in the GUI because it says that there are Dialogue Manager commands in there and that they will be lost. Any way around this?

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If the parameters are only needed for selection criteria of the report, here's a strategy that should work.

Partition your focexec into two sections -- Preliminaries and Report. Store them as separate fex files. The final fex will be a Driver that -INCLUDEs them. The Prelim fex utilizes the run-time parameters to create a named Hold file, which the Report fex uses as its data source. The report fex has no need to reference the parameters (since the selection was already performed upstream), so that leaves the Report fex &var-free, and suitable for editing via the GUI.

The only problem is its data source. Save a copy of the Hold As master and data produced by the Prelim fex, storing them in an app folder that you can access in Dev Studio, and arrange to include it in the app path when testing. Once you have run the Prelim fex and captured its output, you should be able to create (and maintain) the Report fex using Dev Studio's tools.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for your help in resolving this issue!