Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     using escape characters

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
using escape characters
 Login/Join

<Kalyan>
posted
please look at code below

TABLE FILE EMPLOYEE
PRINT *
WHERE COURSE_NAME EQ 'WHAT\'S NEW IN FOCUS'
END

I used the back slash as the help file says it could be used to as an escape character.. When I run the code above I get a error saying unmatched quotes?? What am I doing wrong?

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It is interpretting what you have with the embedded quote

WHERE COURSE_NAME EQ 'WHAT\'S NEW IN FOCUS'

as if it should be 'what\' and then
S NEW IN FOCUS' and wants another quote.

Other than in headings which have the begin and end double quotes, I've never tried what you have for a quote.

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
This is what I found in the HELP file

Example: Using Quote‑Delimited Literal Strings
For example, if a report request contains the following command

IF AIRPORT EQ 'O''HARE'WebFOCUS will interpret the literal string 'O''HARE and look for a data source value of O'HARE.

HTH

Posts: 252 | Location: USA | Registered: April 15, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
With the an escape character you need to use LIKE and not EQ.
WHERE COURSE_NAME LIKE 'WHAT\''%' ESCAPE '\'

Use 2 single quotes if you are searching for the entire value.
WHERE COURSE_NAME EQ 'WHAT''S NEW IN FOCUS' ;

Posts: 189 | Location: pgh pa | Registered: October 06, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
My understanding has always been that if you want a single tick mark, you simply place two of them in a row to make that happen. Here is a snippet from some code that might be an example:

-SET &WHRLMT = 'WHERE FLD1 EQ ''Y''';

I'd be tempted to place your statement in a variable like so:
-SET &LMT1 = 'WHERE COURSE_NA EQ 'WHAT''S NEW IN FOCUS'';

Hope this works for you.

Stan