As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.
New TIBCO Community Coming Soon
In early summer, TIBCO plans to launch a new community—with a new user experience, enhanced search, and expanded capabilities for member engagement with answers and discussions! In advance of that, the current myibi community will be retired on April 30. We will continue to provide updates here on both the retirement of myibi and the new community launch.
What You Need to Know about Our New Community
We value the wealth of knowledge and engagement shared by community members and hope the new community will continue cultivating networking, knowledge sharing, and discussion.
During the transition period, from April 20th until the new community is launched this summer, myibi users should access the TIBCO WebFOCUS page to engage.
I’m trying to run a report from WebFOCUS BI portal and I’m having an issue exporting to excel.
For example: If I open up the AAAA Report and choose ‘Excel’ as the output format, the report runs and prompts me to either save or open. When I click open, excel opens but there is no file or data to be found. If I click save first and then open, the file opens as expected.
How can I do to fix it? so that I can open directly. thank you. I checked the excel value/properties which is set EXL2K. thank youThis message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,
I think the EXL** will depend on what version of Excel (Office) you are on. I had the same issue, only when I used EXL07, I had a similar issue as what you are describing. When I changed the EXL07 to EXL2K the issue went away.
Let us know if changing from EXL2K to EXL07 resolves your issue. I would be interested to know what version of Office you guys are using as well.
Our users experienced this recently due to a Windows Update. We worked around this issue by have them adjust their Trust Center settings in Excel.
Unfortunately, we are not able to switch our reporting to EXL07 because we get illegal XML character errors when trying to use EXL07, and IBI has not given us a reasonable solution that would justify using EXL07.
The steps below have fixed the issue for our users 1. Open Excel 2. 'File' 3. 'Options' 4. 'Trust Center' 5. 'Trust Center Settings' 6. 'Protected View' 7. Disable the setting for 'Enable Protected View for files originating from the Internet'
go to Administration Console-->Configuration -->Redirection Settings to change .xmh application/vnd.ms-excel setting.
So now I am able to open the file directly. But I am still getting the message: “Excel cannot open the file ‘aaaa.xlsx’ because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file.”
AJEN7118, that message is due to security changes in EXCEL beginning with Excel 2007. WebFOCUS does not produce a true .xls with EXL2K format. Starting with EXCEL 2007, excel recognizes that the file extension does not match the file format and gives this error.
The ONLY fix I am aware of is a change that requires a registry change.