Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Anyone know what's wrong with RC?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Anyone know what's wrong with RC?
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hi all,

sorry if this has been posted before but does anyone know why report caster keeps dropping my connection? it seems i onbly have to turn away for a second (and yes today it really was only a second) and RC lost my authentiocation forcing me to have to start all over again. It did it again but i had luckily started saving it after every change i made- but it's infuriating- anyone else have this problem?

how do you fix it?

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If you are selecting report caster from within Developer Studio, it appears it lets you do one thing regarding a schedule and then drops authentication. You can't do two things. I don't if you could consider it a bug, or we just live with it. I end up going through MRE to do my report caster tasks if I have much to do.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I have not had any problem with this at all. I use extensive and lengthy RC sessions and never have had the problem of dropped connections.

One thought is to check the HOLD CONNECTION attribute in the RC Server Configuration>>General>>Repository and see if it is set to YES. I was of the understanding that this only relates to the time that schedules are run, but the functionality is so similar, that it may be related to your problem.

In any case, this isn't standard functionality as I have not experienced the problem. I am on Linux instead of Windows, but that should be irrelevant.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Darin,

Yes the attribute is set to yes, any other suggestions anyone?>

thanks for the reply

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Master
posted Hide Post
It seems the recommendation is to NOT use RC from DS, as I get the same problem as Leah describes.

As for raising a case, I have been given short shrift when pointing out other RC failings on Hottracks (lack of error messages and statistics vital to batch jobs) so I would suggest you work around the problem as it seems that this particular ibi team will continue to do 'their own thing'.

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
ah so the problem is Dev Studio, well just one more thing that will push me into using an alternative code editor - if it was me though i couldn't release an application with so many problems- too much pride i guess...

ill stick to accessing RC via a different route

cheers everyone

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
I opened case 32762519 in Oct 2007 for our 762 versionon this very problem, going from DS to RC then back to DS, opening a file in the text editor, then going back to RC causes an authentication error.

The case was closed in Jan 2008 with the comment that the problem was fixed in 764 and above.

Since you have 764 and appear to still be having the problem, you might want to open a new case and have them refer to the one I referenced above. We have chosen not to put 764 on for a number of reasons and are waiting for 765, but I would be interested in what you get back from IBI if you open another case on this topic.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I set up all my RC jobs thru Dev Studio...and have never had this problem...

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Maybe the problem doesn't exist in 761. The problem happens when you open RC from DS, do something in RC, then while it is still open go back and do something in DS like edit a file. When you go back to RC and try to do something, you get an auth error.

Ginny
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Well that would be annoying..

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Cheers Ginny, ive raised it as a new case and will let you know the outcome.

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Never had this problem either.
I always launch RCaster from DevStudio's Document-with-Clock Icon (must be in Managed Reporting in an environment's MR tree to activate the icon). The click opens a browser window with RCaster already logged into; just as if I used the browser interface without DevStudio.

Further details:
I don't ever use RCaster, or anything else, on Local Host; This is RCaster on a network server.
My RCaster credentials are stated in the Properties window of the WebFOCUS Environment.
Because RCaster is in a browser window, I can actually kill DS without harming the RCaster connection.
I have 4 DevStudio environments defined and all work the same, even simultaneously; which is helpful when maintaining reports scheduled on multiple servers around the world.

Chris

WIN/2K running WF 7.6.4
Development via DevStudio 7.6.4, MRE, TextEditor.
Data is Oracle, MS-SQL.

Posts: 154 | Location: NY | Registered: October 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
it looks like its been a problem since 762;

Ginny (or anyone on 762) do you suffer from the same dev studio explorer issues i do? with it taking a long time to do simple things like change domain or create a blank fex? it may be that both this and the RC error are related to something that was changed for the 762 and subsequent releases.

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
I hate to repeat myself, but I will anyway Wink, but I don't get the explorer problems you mention and I've only seen the dropped authentication occasionally, but then I am using DS 7.1.6 against a 7.6.4 set-up.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Repeat away, Tony, I have 7.6 most current DS and go against 7.6.4 on Linux and Windows and have it happen just about any time I want to do more than one thing in RC. For example, I go into RC to change a job, save it and then try to do another one and boom authentication error. Must be some magic thing some are missing.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Yes, nubi, it is very slow to open the application list in Data Servers and to create new fexes. I have been attributing the slowness to the fact that we have over 500 directories and thousands of focexecs, but maybe that is not the case.

In another post, it was indicated that 765 will be out momentarily and we intend to put it on. I am hoping that a number of issues will be resolved.

Ginny

Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Ginny,

I don't think its the size as i get the issue in every domain, any folder whatever the contents, ive been trying out note pad ++ which has an explorer and its rapid, plus my colleagues on 761 don't have the same issue.

But the helpdesk have passed on the RC error to the coders so hopefully we should get a resolution.

cheers

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP