Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] ROWSPAN for heading items? Is it possible?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] ROWSPAN for heading items? Is it possible?
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Greetings,

Is it possible to make items span vertical?

Something like :
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT 
	COUNTRY
	CAR 
	MODEL
	WARRANTY
	STANDARD
HEADING
"ORIGIN<+0>COMP"
" <+0>CARREC<+0>WARRANT<+0>EQIP"
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
$
TYPE=REPORT,
	GRID = ON,
$
TYPE=HEADING, HEADALIGN = BODY, STYLE= BOLD, $
TYPE=HEADING, OBJECT = TEXT, LINE = 1, ITEM = 1, COLSPAN=1,$
TYPE=HEADING, OBJECT = TEXT, LINE = 1, ITEM = 2, COLSPAN=4,$

TYPE=HEADING, OBJECT = TEXT, LINE = 2, ITEM = 1, COLSPAN=1,$
TYPE=HEADING, OBJECT = TEXT, LINE = 2, ITEM = 2, COLSPAN=2,$
TYPE=HEADING, OBJECT = TEXT, LINE = 2, ITEM = 3, COLSPAN=1,$
TYPE=HEADING, OBJECT = TEXT, LINE = 2, ITEM = 4, COLSPAN=1,$
END

This item:
OBJECT = TEXT, LINE = 1, ITEM =1, COLSPAN=1, $

But I need also ROWSPAN it on two lines.

Is it possible?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WF 7.6.2, WinNT/2K, MSSQL 2K, MSOLAP 2K, BID

Posts: 79 | Location: Moscow | Registered: April 27, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
There is not a WebFOCUS reserved word "ROWSPAN" as there is for "COLSPAN". so the simple answer is no.

However, you could always use a DEFINE/COMPUTE or DM variable to hold the required HTML code for your heading and then just place it within the double quotes.

To be sure that you are controlling the HTML, have a look at the source code (context menu and view source), and work out what code you need to create to control your heading.

One word of warning, when using HTMLCSS = ON, do not expect the style sheet data to remain static (the .x1, .x2 etc.). It is generally consistant, but you only need to change one of your WF style statements to throw it out causing you to have to virtually start again.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Unless there is a not real need for using the heading and spot markers for your columns, you could
quote:
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
COUNTRY AS 'ORIGIN'
CAR AS 'COMP'
MODEL AS 'CARREC'
WARRANTY AS 'WARRANT'
STANDARD AS 'EQIP'
HEADING

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Leah,
There is need for rowspan and hotspots.
In fact real example is with heading on 5 lines.
Some items are through 5 lines, some 4, some 3, some 2 and some on 1.

I've understood that it could not be done without manipulation with html-code.
(In one way or another)

Anyway, thanks!

WF 7.6.2, WinNT/2K, MSSQL 2K, MSOLAP 2K, BID

Posts: 79 | Location: Moscow | Registered: April 27, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I agree. ROWSPAN is vital, especially for PDF, and other tools have it. We've asked and asked and explained and explained. no glimmer of hope on the horizon.*sigh*

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
If all you want to do is span the heading and all you have in it is text (no fields) then you could use

-HTMLFORM BEGIN

-HTMLFORM END

But I am sure everyone already knows this.

Another option for someong that really needs it they could hold the data. Then using dialog manager loop through the records between the
"HTMLFORM BEGIN and HTMLFORM END" and dynamically create there own HTML Code. I know some programmers have done this to create very complex output that has lots of custom javascript code. Just a thought, Not that I have ever had a need for it.

Scott

Expert
posted Hide Post
Just curious why you haven't replaced your signature with the version/platform of WebFOCUS you work on?

Have you read this? Friendly reminder: Please update your signatures

Cheers,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Francis,

If you are relating to TexasStingray then I would suggest that this is one of those times when the signature is not essential as -
  • he invariably gives answers and not questions
  • he works on many different platforms
  • he works for IB???

If the above is true then it is likely that our screens would fill up just with the combinations of signature.

However, I do think it reasonable to add the main platform and release in any eventuality Smiler

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Great response I let you all think about which one's or if all apply.

Keep up the good work guys.

Scott

Expert
posted Hide Post
TexasStingray,

It's just that I'm a little tired of reading the veiled religious message in your signature and would rather see nothing at all or which version/platform you work on.

Cheers,

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
If you are only going to create HTML output you can use defined fields that contain < br > for the literals in the heading. This will cause each line of the heading be displayed as three lines in the browse.

DEFINE FILE CAR
H_ORIGIN /A30 WITH COUNTRY ='<br> ORIGIN <br> &|nbsp';
H_COMP /A30 WITH CAR ='<br> COMP <br> &|nbsp';
H_CARREC /A30 WITH MODEL ='<br> CARREC <br> &|nbsp';
H_WARRANT /A30 WITH WARRANTY ='<br> WARRANT <br> &|nbsp';
H_EQIP /A30 WITH STANDARD ='<br> EQIP <br> &|nbsp';

END
-RUN
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
COUNTRY
CAR
MODEL
WARRANTY
STANDARD
HEADING
"<H_ORIGIN<H_COMP"
" <H_CARREC<H_WARRANT<H_EQIP"
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
$
TYPE=REPORT, GRID = ON,$
TYPE=HEADING, HEADALIGN = BODY, STYLE= BOLD, $
TYPE=HEADING, LINE = 1, ITEM = 1, COLSPAN=1,$
TYPE=HEADING, LINE = 1, ITEM = 2, COLSPAN=4,$

TYPE=HEADING, LINE = 2, ITEM = 1, COLSPAN=1,$
TYPE=HEADING, LINE = 2, ITEM = 2, COLSPAN=2,$
TYPE=HEADING, LINE = 2, ITEM = 3, COLSPAN=1,$
TYPE=HEADING, LINE = 2, ITEM = 4, COLSPAN=1,$

END

Jim Morrow
Web Focus 7.6.10 under Windows 2003
MVS 7.3.3

Expert
posted Hide Post
Close, but no cigar, yet... Perhaps someone can expand from this. The !IBI.AMP.XXX; gets evaluated once the H001 file gets evaluated within the -HTMLFORM commands. An empty TD gets generated in the HEADING lines which ends up misaligning the heading so I added a dummy report column.

Not pretty, but you have row span.

-SET &ECHO=ALL;

-SET &HEAD1 = '</TD><TD ROWSPAN=2><B>ORIGIN</B></TD><TD COLSPAN=4><B>COMP</B></TD>';
-SET &HEAD2 = '</TD><TD COLSPAN=2><B>CARREC</B></TD><TD><B>WARRANT</B></TD><TD><B>EQIP</B></TD>';

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
COMPUTE DUMMY1/A1 = ''; AS ''
COUNTRY
CAR
MODEL
WARRANTY
STANDARD

HEADING
"!IBI.AMP.HEAD1;"
"!IBI.AMP.HEAD2;"

ON TABLE HOLD AS H001 FORMAT HTML

ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, GRID = ON, $
TYPE=HEADING, HEADALIGN = BODY, $
END
-RUN

-HTMLFORM BEGIN
!IBI.FIL.H001;
-HTMLFORM END

Francis

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Is it possible to do the same thing as above in excel and without using HTMLFORM and without the blank column at the begining?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: getit,

App Studio Version 8202
windows Platform
SQL Server 2008/2012

Posts: 183 | Location: TX | Registered: January 22, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Have you looked into EXL2K/EXL07 TEMPLATE?

quote:
Excel templates enable users to create WebFOCUS reports with any new or existing Excel workbook residing on the WebFOCUS Reporting Server. WebFOCUS can integrate with complex Excel workbooks containing macros, graphs, or Visual Basic applications with the use of Excel templates. Users also have access to more advanced Excel functionality including filters, subtotals, page and print settings, and advanced report styling.

Francis

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I have used excel templates before, but I wasn't sure about one thing needed for this report. Can an excel temple handle BYTOC functionality, for example there is a workbook with multiple sheets but one of the sheets can spawn into multiple depending on data.

App Studio Version 8202
windows Platform
SQL Server 2008/2012

Posts: 183 | Location: TX | Registered: January 22, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Good question, for which I don't have an answer. I'd give it a try.

Francis

Master
posted Hide Post
I've done rowspan in Excel with a formatting macro.

I've also created reports with filtered sub-totals and distinct count filtered sub-totals.

I've also used formatting macros to insert cell comments.

I also taken workbooks that users have created their own graphs and charts, saved that has a template file, then load fresh data and they have updated charts and graphs. Also created workbooks that when the user opens the workbook, it runs a fex and refreshes the data in the report.

I haven't found anything yet that my users have requested that I can't do with WebFOCUS and Excel macros. I'll use WebFOCUS to collect and format the report as much as WebFOCUS can do and finish the job with excel macros.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
getit, BYTOC is not compatible macro enabled templates. But you can get around that by looping through your code for each BYTOC value. For example, say you have a 5 regions, 1 through 5. Loop through the actual report code put Region 1 on Sheet 1, Region 2 on Sheet 2, etc. If the completed report only contains data for Region 2 (Sheet 2) then your macro can delete the empty sheets leaving a report with just 1 sheet holding the data for Region 2.

Another way to handle this is with excel filtered subtotals using excels subtotal function. The user gets all the data but if they are only interested in Region 2, they filter the report on region 2 and the subtotal recalculate for region 2.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post