Focal Point
[CLOSED]Calculate Height of Document in Document Composer

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/8037009186

April 19, 2016, 11:30 AM
clde
[CLOSED]Calculate Height of Document in Document Composer
Hello everybody,

Does anyone know if it is possible to dynamically calculate how many inches are left in a document, when the document includes multiple reports? Obviously it is possible to manually add up the heights of the reports and subtract the amount with the height of the entire document but I would like to have this automatically done by WebFOCUS.

For example, the height of the document is 11,6in and there are 2 reports positioned underneath each other with a height of 2in (together 4in).
This leads to 11,6in – 4in = 7,6in space left over on the document
Having the number 7,6in dynamically calculated would be great.

Thanks for any help!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,
April 21, 2016, 11:09 AM
GavinL
This would be a Javascript function, not WebFOCUS and you would have to do this calculations yourself.

- FOCUS Man, just FOCUS!
-----------------------------
Product: WebFOCUS
Version: 8.1.04
Server: Windows 2008 Server
April 22, 2016, 05:46 AM
clde
I am sure that you cannot use JavaScript in the Document Composer. But it is a good idea though.
April 25, 2016, 05:40 PM
<Emily McAllister>
Hello,

What kind of output are you trying to produce? If this is meant to be a report viewed on the web, you might want to try placing your reports in an HTML document using the HTML Composer Canvas. The Composer Canvas does support Javascript and what you are asking is definitely possible using an HTML page.

Emily McAllister
Focal Point Moderator
April 26, 2016, 02:52 AM
clde
Hello,

I am trying to produce a PDF output with the document composer. This makes the problem so difficult...

Thanks
April 26, 2016, 10:11 AM
Kevin W
Would setting PRINTPLUS=ON help? It clears up some problems with page breaks and footings in PDF.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 (Someday 8)
Windows 7, All Outputs
In Focus since 1983.
April 27, 2016, 11:11 AM
eric.woerle
clde,

Why are you trying to calculate the space left in the first place? The document composer allows you to create a flow. You can define things like what report follows another. As well you can tell the document composer to not allow a report to be split between two pages etc. I haven't found a need to do a calculation like that myself. Perhaps you are trying to do something that already exists and just don't know what the commands are?

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2