Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Source Control

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Source Control
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I've read about Source Control in the Creating Reporting Applications with Developer Studio.

It's clear it works with projects.

I started down the project path - but things didn't appear to be the same in a project as it did in the Content/Repository. I suspect it's many of the startup/config variables that are set in the true webfocus environment.

Anywho - I had a discussion with 3 different IBI people about projects - and no one really talked about them favorably.

I have the impression (quite possibly I am incorrect) - that projects, in general are not used.

I have searched Focal Point - and I did find a few posts - but nothing definitive about versioning.

I am curious: Do you use projects?
I am curious: Do you use some type of versioning system?

I'm looking for a best practice to implement. We recently had an issue where it seemed like Developer Studio just "ate" the HTML on save. Fortunately for us - the page was small and easy enough to just recreate.

If it were a bigger, uglier page - it would have been a lot more problematic....so I want to stack the deck in my favor by implementing Source Safe or something like that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stur0063,

webFOCUS 8207.15
WindowsServer 2019

Posts: 120 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: August 26, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
We use projects, but more to differentiate between report roles than to keep reports separate (we have hundreds of reports). I'm not sure how projects would relate to source control though?

I realise there is some build-in support for source control from within Dev Studio, but it only supports some source control systems that we don't use - and badly at that I've been told.

As a result, we use source control on our ibi/apps directory directly on the WF server.
Source control has saved our behinds a couple of times already and we're now pondering using separate branches for development, acceptation and production deployment (thereby entirely discarding Dev Studio's deploy mechanism - which is rather underwhelming).

For source control, we started out with Subversion, which works just great but doesn't have a stable OpenVMS client. Some of our staff develop on that OS and we want to use the same source control software across the company, so SVN was discarded (as was Source Safe, but we never even considered that an option).

Eventually we went with Mercurial (aka Hg). It has been working great so far.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
In webFOCUS 8 - the "code" is stored in the database.

Source Control, per the Developer Studio Application Development Getting Started : "applicable for local or remote Project development"

So - in WF8 - it sounds like if I want to use versioning software - I have no choice but to use projects...as projects are files.

I have heard from a few different WF people that they are not fond of projects - so I didn't want to go down this path if, in general, projects are not used.
Ultimately I was just hoping to get a feel from people if they use projects…and if they are – then I know I just need to dig into them and grind through some of the issues I was seeing.

If people are not using projects – I’ll look at using a export/import and database backup solution for versioning.

webFOCUS 8207.15
WindowsServer 2019

Expert
posted Hide Post
I haven't used projects since v4.3.6!

I don't think they're of any use if you work in a Managed Reporting Environment.
I don't know why this aspect of Dev Studio was carried over to v8.

Perhaps someone can enlighten us.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Francis,

I recently spent time with a customer that has migrated to WF 8 that explained to me why Projects are still used by them.

Basically - the customers that still use Projects are those that don't have Portal/Managed Reporting i.e. the components are still on disk, and not in the repository.

WebFOCUS 8.2.06 mostly Windows Server

Posts: 195 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: September 13, 2008Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Source Control is in the process of being implemented on the web tier so that BIP and the Desktop products can use it. That is targeted for 81m1 release in June/July.

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Information Builders, Inc.
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. We will continue to go with our database backups for now. We will look at Source Control in 81m1.

webFOCUS 8207.15
WindowsServer 2019

Guru
posted Hide Post
Please don't make source control tied to projects.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Unix Self-Service/MRE/Report Caster - Outputs Excel, PDF, HTML, Flat Files

Posts: 320 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: February 12, 2008Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
But please also have it as an option for projects. We currently use projects and source control with PushOk software in WF 7703. Doesn't work great, but would still like to use projects and a better version control in WF8. Glad to hear IBI is going to implement something soon. Thanks

WebFOCUS Server 8.1.05
Windows 2008 Server
WebFOCUS AppStudio 8.1.05
Windows 7 Professional
IE 11 and Chrome Version 43.0.2357.124 m.
Mostly HTML, PDF, Excel, and AHTML

Posts: 272 | Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan | Registered: September 30, 2010Report This Post