Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED]Force index usage

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED]Force index usage
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi,

Is it possible in focus to force it to use a particular index?
We are using SQl server database and a couple of tables have multiple index.

Thanks

Kartik

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

WebFOCUS 8010,8204
Windows

Master
posted Hide Post
Kartik,

You can do that with FOCUS tables, I don't believe webFOCUS will pass that for SQL. I can't seem to find the syntax in the help file though. What you might be able to do though, is create a stored procedure in the database and call that before your request. Assuming that SQL Server can do that.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
You can attempt to force the index with SQL Server, here's an example I found:
http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2...ry-hints-index-hint/

JC
WebFOCUS Dev Studio / App Studio
Windows 7

Posts: 146 | Registered: November 09, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
In the "Adapter Administration for UNIX, Windows, OpenVMS, IBM i, and zOS 8.0.02" documentation, chapter "Using the Adapter for Microsoft SQL Server", topic "Creating Synonyms" there is reference to the keywords in the Access file. It seems it might be possible to specify the index using the INDEX_NAME, INDEX_UNIQUE, INDEX_COLUMNS, INDEX_ORDER keywords...

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcannavo:
You can attempt to force the index with SQL Server, here's an example I found:
http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2...ry-hints-index-hint/

It's definitely possible in SQL, it's just we have instructions to use fex instead of SQL.
The other thing I tried was getting rid of all irrelevant indexes in the master files, but it still doesn't seem to consider the only one left.

WebFOCUS 8010,8204
Windows

<Emily McAllister>
posted
Hello Kartik Katyal,

What version is your Reporting Server? If you are using server (not client) version 7706/81M this is possible, but if you are using 7705/800x I am afraid you will need to upgrade.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Emily McAllister
Focal Point Moderator

Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I am using v8009

WebFOCUS 8010,8204
Windows

<Emily McAllister>
posted
OK. Unfortunately this is not an available feature until the later release. You will have to upgrade.

Report This Post