Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Loading data into focus database file

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Loading data into focus database file
 Login/Join

posted
Hi All,

I am running out with one issue in my focus application. In application one of the focus database file is full. Now my target is to create a same database file with large volume and load data into new file. Can you please let me know, how to create the new file and load the data from old file to new file.

Thanks for your support!!!

Thanks,
Rajesh

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

<JG>
posted
What platform are you on?

UNIX and Widows do not have file size limitations from a physical point of view
whereas mainframe does.

The limitations on Unix and Windows are based on the Focus Database limit which
is 2 gigabytes. You cannot have a Focus database larger than this.

XFocus does not have this limitation as it can use multiple physical files
and has a maximum theoretical size of 2044 gigabytes.

However it is an additional cost option

To learn how to rebuild Focus files or use XFocus
search for REBUILD and XFOCUS in the online help of developers studio

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Rajesh

Update your signature so we know better how to help you.

It is possible to give your focus database an other name but use the same master.
If you need to report from the two or mare focus databases you can use the USE command.

So you might have one master (CAR.MAS) and have CAR1.FOC and CAR2.FOC etc.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Rajesh,

The first thing that I would ask is - "How well do you know WebFOCUS/FOCUS?" If the answer is "not very well" then I would suggest basic training. If the answer is "quite well" then I would suggest the MODIFY or MAINTAIN course would be advisable.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
If you just want to transfer the data from a Focus file to an Xfocus file that has much more storage space, you can do this easily using the REBUILD utility. You 'dump' the data using the old MFD ,and you create a new MFD with suffix XFOC and another name, and you 'load' the data under this MFD. Its all documented, and you can do it from Developer Studio.

Release 7.6.9
Windows
HTML

<JG>
posted
Gerry,

XFOCUS is still an extra cost option ?

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
jg, i use xfocus and we don't pay anything extra for it.
radesh, do you know that you can have 2+ identical focus databases and concatenate them vertically,
USE
/.../database1.foc AS database1
/.../database2.foc AS database1
END
so, you're not restricted to one file, evenif you don't want to change them over to xfocus.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
... and don't forget LOCATION files for subordinate segments.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
<JG>
posted
quote:
i use xfocus and we don't pay anything extra for it

susannah,
If I were you I would check with your IBI account manager because XFOCUS is listed as a seperate
chargable item on the companies price list.

product no. WDS on mid range WDSN on windows

The multidimensional index functionality is also an extra cost item

product no. WMD on mid range WMDN on windows

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <JG>,

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
try it
ON TABLE HOLD FORMAT XFOCUS
works

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Just because it works doesn't mean you have a license for it. There is no way to turn off that feature.

That sentence reminds me of a line from "Working Girl" when Joan Cusack says in a NY accent, "Just because I dance around in my underwear, don't make me Madonna". Smiler

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GinnyJakes,

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
ROFL!!!!!

Expert
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting for the day that coding a WebFOCUS program in a text editor will be "listed as a separate chargeable item on the company's price list".

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Does that mean we can hold a wake for TED?

jimster06
DevStu WF 7.6.11
W7
HTML, PDF, EXL2K

Posts: 252 | Location: USA | Registered: April 15, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I should have said "I'm NOT waiting for the day that coding a WebFOCUS program in a text editor will be "listed as a separate chargeable item on the company's price list".

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
well we do have a nice notepad++ template
used as a DS substitute... Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Francis Mariani:
I'm waiting for the day that coding a WebFOCUS program in a text editor will be "listed as a separate chargeable item on the company's price list".

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post
<JG>
posted
Francis, You should not give people ideas like that.
They may well spot a potential new revenue stream

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
forgot to mention
you must use XFOCUS if you're making a table with long fieldnames.

posted Hide Post
Hi All,

Thanks for the provided information. I worked on the Rebuild option, it created little amount spaces in existing file. Temporary my issue is resolved, b'cos I am able to load the daily data.

I am working on the XFOCUS option to load the data in larger volume data. I used below code to load the data. I am getting some errors. Can you please let me know, how to use the XFOCUS option.

I have provided the sample code below and MFD's I am using in the code having same structure and database file I am using having same length also.

DYNAM ALLOC FILE EMPL DA AAAAABBB.EMPL.FOCUS SHR REUSE
DYNAM ALLOC FILE EMPL2 DA AAAAABBB.EMPL1.FOCUS SHR REUSE
-RUN
TABLE FILE EMPL
PRINT EMPID EMPNAME EMPDEPT HDATE
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLD1 FORMAT XFOCUS
END
-RUN
MODIFY FILE EMPL2
FIXFORM EMPID/25 EMPNAME/100 EMPDEPT/100 HDATE/8
DATA ON HOLD1
END
-RUN
-EXIT

Thnaks,
Rajesh
FOCUS 7.1.1 Z/OS

Expert
posted Hide Post
Rajesh, its very nice to hear that you're working hard and learning from everyone's posts. Good work.
First, imho it works best if your hold1 file is ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLD1 FORMAT ALPHA
and your modify is
MODIFY FILE MYDATABASE
FIXFORM FROM HOLD1
DATA ON HOLD1
END
and second, that MYDATABASE needs to be set up first as an XFOCUS database.
What you seem to be wanting to modify is just a HOLD2 file.
That's not a good idea.
You want your MODIFY to operate on the actual database you want to be building.
That means the master file must exist, with SUFFIX=XFOC in the first line. You can either write it by hand, or create a small version of the database first, using ON TABLE HOLD FORMAT XFOCUS INDEX var1 var2 etc..
and you can get the master that way.

Once you have a master, to create the db from scratch, use the CREATE command:
USE
.wherever././MYDATABASE.FOC NEW
END
CREATE FILE MYDATABASE

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi, Focus guys (and Ladies as well)
In a forum state of mind, I was just wanting to ask wether XFOCUS had turned into a free Option.
Which greatly surprised me, by the way.
JG Master and his red ink made me know it was not at all the case.
This message is quite personal and highly unofficial (Forum State of mind)
Cordialement

Focus Mainframe 7.6.11
Dev Studio 7.6.11 and !!!
PC Focus, Focus for OS/2, FFW Six, MSO

Posts: 134 | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
JG, Are you an IBI cop?

I've been told that even MODIFY on a good old regular FOCUS DB requires an extra licence. I know a lot of clients that use it and have not gone to jail or have not been fined.

Francis

<JG>
posted
Not at all Francis,

However I do work for the company and so am obliged to make it clear to users and customers
when they may be breaking their license agreements.
(Actually I am required to inform IBI when this situation arises as it is part of my
contract of employment to protect the companies interests at all times).

By making the issue about XFOCUS very, very clear and removing any possibility that
the situation regarding the requirement for a license is vague or open to interpretation I
would hope that those people who need to ensure that their respective companies or clients
are aware of the license requirement, negating me having to do anything else.

With regard the Focus database, this does not to my understanding require a license
for the use of Modify IF the Focus database resides on the same machine as the Focus server
however it does need a licensed component (Read/Write adapter for FOCUS DBMS)
when it is on another remote server.

Maintain requires a license in all cases.

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Francis Mariani:
JG, Are you an IBI cop?

I've been told that even MODIFY on a good old regular FOCUS DB requires an extra licence. I know a lot of clients that use it and have not gone to jail or have not been fined.

not been caught you mean Big Grin

seriously though, although it may not be clear it is a company's responsibilty to ensure they are compliant so these things should be checked as a matter of course.

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I'm not a cop, I'm a private.
Sorry chaps, i was 18 in 68, and all that makes me ... (searching a word for sad laugh ..)
Focusely yours
PS : "Salon de l'Auto- Paris" : An electric car of the (supposed) future is Cactus by Citroën. It reminded me of a time when Cactus was the (supposed) future of Focus (by Ford ?).
Sad laugh, I'm afraid I'm growing old ...

Focus Mainframe 7.6.11
Dev Studio 7.6.11 and !!!
PC Focus, Focus for OS/2, FFW Six, MSO

Posts: 134 | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I would like to clarify an issue about MODIFY, and if it needs a license. No it does not. It is free with WebFOCUS. In FOCUS it is licensed. However, MAINTAIN in WebFOCUS needs a license. The difference is that MODIFY is a large volume 'batch' type of data input/update process, and MAINTAIN is a 'transaction' type of process.

Release 7.6.9
Windows
HTML

Expert
posted Hide Post
bemoaning the death of the gerund