Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Hide empty checkboxes with Javascript?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Hide empty checkboxes with Javascript?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi. I'm stuck finding an answer to this question, and I hope it's pretty simple.

We have a template page on one of our dashboards that populates a checkbox list with facilities that correlate with certain measures that internal customers are evaluating.

Some measures do not have associated facilities. When this occurs, and the page loads, it renders two blank checkboxes.

One is tied to the 'ALL' function (Having a SELECT ALL as a checkbox list item.), and one is blank, correlating to the empty data set.

Can I hide the empty checkboxes? I can't figure out how to write javascript that can actually find this control on the page load, but I can't imagine that it's impossible. I'm assuming that I just don't understand something.

I tried something simple like this:
if(document.YourFormName.TheCheckboxName.checked = true){
document.YourFormName.TheCheckboxName.style.display = 'none';
}

But that fails, as one box is checked, one isn't. Is there a way to grab the control before it renders to the page, see if the XML list generated by a FEX is empty for the returned measure, and then just hide the controls?

I couldn't find anything here on the IBI forums, and I've been reading Javascript support forums to no avail. Figured I might as well try and see if anyone here had a handy solution to try.

Thanks very much!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS v. 7.6.10

Posts: 29 | Location: Bellingham, WA | Registered: October 01, 2008Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Peter,
I have done something similar in toggling on/off a series of checkboxes and labels into 'Steps'. Maybe this will help:

function window_onload() {

// WF Default.  Let it do it's thing
	UpdateData();

// My Stuff - Update *after* WF does it's thing, not before.

displayDefault();

}

function displayDefault() {

// On load, this sets the page to where I want it to be, only show step 1.
	showStep1();
    // Toggle on
	hideStep2();
    // Toggle off
	hideStep3();
    // Toggle off -- See below
	hideStep4();
    // Toggle off
}

function hideStep3() {
	// My label and checkbox group are named (creatively enough) 'Step3' and 'Text3'
	document.getElementById('text3').style.visibility='hidden';
	document.getElementById('step3').style.visibility='hidden';
}

This should point you right.

- ABT

------------------------------------
WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, thanks so much for the reply! I'll take your suggestions and will go play around with it to see if I can get it to work!

Appreciate it very much Smiler

WebFOCUS v. 7.6.10

Posts: 29 | Location: Bellingham, WA | Registered: October 01, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Peter,

The following is some code that I posted in 2006 which gives nothing but the basics of what you need to do -

<html>
 <head>
  <title>Collapsing Divs</title>
 </head>
 <body>
  <div id="div1" style="display: block; background:#f0f5ff; color:#ff0000;">
   This is Div 1
  </div>
  <div id="div2" style="display: block; background:#f0f5ff; color:#ff0000;">
   This is Div 2
  </div>
  <a href="javascript:toggle_div('div1');" alt="Toggle Div 1">Show/Hide Div 1</a><br />
  <a href="javascript:toggle_div('div2');" alt="Toggle Div 2">Show/Hide Div 2</a> 
 </body>
 <script language=javascript>
  function toggle_div(obj) {
     var el = document.getElementById(obj);
     el.style.display = (el.style.display != "block") ? "block" : "none";
  }
 </script>
</html>

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Tony, thanks for responding! I might have miscommunicated my need, so let me clarify.

The part about hiding the div, that part I'm ok with, but it's the step(s) before that I'm stuck.

Here is the scenario: I populate the list with a bit of code that looks like this:

quote:
JOIN
LEFT_OUTER SETTINGCODE IN VFILTER_FORLOCATION_DEV TO UNIQUE LOCTYPECODE IN VLOCATION AS J1
END
TABLE FILE VFILTER_FORLOCATION_DEV
PRINT DST.PILLAR
DST.MEASURENAME
DST.LOCDESCR
-*BY PILLAR NOPRINT
BY PILLARID
BY MEASURENAME NOPRINT
BY MEASUREID
BY LOCDESCR NOPRINT
BY LOCSHORTDESCR
ON TABLE SET HOLDLIST PRINTONLY
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XML
END

And with it, I have the "Add 'ALL' option" checked in the properties of the checkbox.

So I need to determine two things: 1) does the hold file return an empty result, in which case I must hide the checkbox, and 2) if the hold file returns nothing, find the checkbox marked 'ALL' and hide it also.

But how to grab the control before it's rendered to the page, determine if the result set is empty or not, and then hide the control (or a div governing the control), that's where I'm stuck.

Does this help clarify anymore? I don't know how to tell programatically if there are no results given from the XML at runtime, so that I can hide the checkboxlist if I need to.

Appreciate very much the help, too Smiler

Peter

WebFOCUS v. 7.6.10

Expert
posted Hide Post
Peter,

For your first question - 1) does the hold file return an empty result - I would be inclined to add a process to the window_onload function, after the UpdateData(); to check the length of the items within your SELECT control - e.g. document.getElementById("listbox1").options.length - if the length is 0 then you have no options loaded so it's safe to hide the combo and checkbox.

If you place both the combo and the checkbox within the same DIV then a only a single code line to hide them.

Edited as I forgot to mention that intercepting the control length before it's rendered would not be possible without creating your own AJAX retrieval and XML parsing routines - and as they already exist in ibirls3 why bother? You're probably better off waiting for the controls to load and then hide them if necessary.

T

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tony A,

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Tony! Yes, it would return an empty result set, so your idea might just be what I'm looking for. Thanks again so much, I'm going to test it out and see if I can get it working.

Blessings and have a wonderful Christmas/NewYears Smiler

WebFOCUS v. 7.6.10