Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Running Multiple Maintains at Once

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Running Multiple Maintains at Once
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Is it possible to run two different maintains at once in the same browser? Will the session information get confused? Will it try to use the same agent for both maintains causing an error?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardA,

Sandbox Version: 8.1.04
Sandbox Platform: Windows 2008 R2
Testing Version: 7.7.02M
Testing Platform: Windows Server 2008 R2
WF Production Version: 7.7.02M
Production Platform: Windows Server 2008

Posts: 57 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: June 19, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
The only way to do this is with non-persistent Maintain applications. If you do that, then there are no agents or sessions waiting back on the server. If you are running persistent Maintain applications, then the answer is no. You just cannot do this.

Mark

Posts: 663 | Location: New York | Registered: May 08, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Okay. Dumb question incoming. How can you make a maintain non-persistent?

Posts: 57 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: June 19, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The basics for non-persistence is to use the WINFORM SHOW_AND_EXIT option.

This causes the Maintain Form to be displayed and the from is disconnected from the server. This is a very different concept to persistence, in that when returning back to the Maintain, you are calling a new Maintain session, previous state does not exist.

The return of data items from the form can be achieved using getHTMLField, my preferred choice.

The issue is that when constructing a Maintain, you need to know at the beginning if you require persistence or not, as the way the maintain is constructed is very different.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Is there any documentation in the IBI Maintain reference material for the advantages and disadvantages of using persistent/non-persistent Maintain design patterns? Is there documentation on the design pattern of a non-persistent maintain itself?

All of our maintains are done in the persistent fashion. We have only used the WINFORM SHOW_AND_EXIT command to exit Maintains in some of the older ones. The new Maintains use:

IWCTrigger("WINEXIT");
window.close();

Had no clue how else to use the command. Also if one Maintain is persistent and and one is not can they both coexist at the same time? How does a non-persistent Maintain reestablish itself on the server? Does a non-persistent Maintain also set session cookies in the same way that a persistent on does? So many questions.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardA,

Master
posted Hide Post
You can design any form to be persistent or non-persistent. The real difference is the events. A non-persistent form, when deployed, it is just an HTML form displaying data. The only events that you can have are JavaScript and Weblink. If you need to return to the Maintain code on the server you have to re-launch that application and pass all the information from the form back. You cannot perform a Maintain case from the form.

For simple applications this is no issue. For more complex applications, where you have to pass information from screen to screen, it is harder. Also, while field values are easy, returning values from grids can be difficult.

I recommend looking at the code that Update Assist generates. This is a non-persistent application.

Mark

Gold member
posted Hide Post
In a persistent app is there a way to stop a user from opening more than one Maintain at a time? Is there a way to stop them from logging in more than one time?

If they use more than one persistent Maintain at a time but in different browsers is that okay since the browsers have different session cookies?

For more complicated applications is persistent "better"? Is there an IBI recommendation of when it is appropriate to use each kind of application?

Master
posted Hide Post
Richard
A developer can write very complex non-persistent applications. However, you do need to have a good knowledge of JavaScript. When creating a non-persistent application, every time you need something from the database or the Maintain code, you have to re-launch the application, determine where you are coming from, and pass in all the data you need. It's just a very different way of building applications and not one that I am very good at.

Unless my applications are just one form, I create persistent applications.

I do not have any way of stopping users from opening new windows or launching new browsers to kick off other applications. We have not done a lot of testing where the same user has the same application running on separate browsers on the same machine. Since a new session / agent should be launched each time, this could work, but again, I cannot say that it definitely will.

Mark

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The solution I came up with some years ago, was to have just this one launch page for all maintains available. Each maintain call first check to see if the window named 'maintain' was already present. If so, an error message was presented sttaing that there already is a maintain process active. If thewindow name is not present yet, then open it and populate it with the maintain chosen.
Before you start asking for the code - I don't have it any more, sorry! But since even I could do it (I'm not at all a javascript expert) this can't be too hard to code.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post