Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     What makes WebFOCUS Great?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
What makes WebFOCUS Great?
 Login/Join

Master
posted
I was having a discussion about what set WebFOCUS apart from the other BI tools with a consultant and we came up with these.

1. HOLD files

With the HOLD file you are able to build up your report from multiple queries working from the results of the previous query.

With SQL you have to embed subquery or subresult after sub result to obtain complex results. Eventually the result is indecipherable as it becomes a tree like structure which must be eventually resolved into the linear sequence that is immediately obvious from the WebFOCUS code.

The consultant mentioned the difficulty of replacing simple reports with a few hold sequences in places that had tried to replace wf with something different.

2. Dialogue Manager

Code that writes interpreted code allows you to do virtually anything with a query and drilldowns that would be impossible in any other tool.

3. MATCH FILE

Explicit sort merge tool that allows fast combination of disparate sources of data.

We thought these were the big 3.

What do others think?
Are we wrong in saying these are features unique to WebFOCUS.

As always I look forward to hearing your responses.

Regards

John

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hammo1j,

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Access any file on any platform.
Cross-file and cross-platform joins.
Fully portable code to any WebFocus platform.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
DUDE, WE DO!!!!!!!!

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I'm new to WebFOCUS, but my brother has been touting its prowess for years.

I would put the "adapters" in the list, at the very top, for fast access to to combinations of disparate sources of data.

The "MATCH FILE" process makes this even simpler.

I'm finding the re-usable "answer sets," in the HOLD files or saved to disk, to be most interesting and powerful aspect of WF.

WF takes advantage of the power of structured data access, which is recursive by nature, and integrates procedural code, for the best of both worlds.

Self-modifying code, using .EVAL(xx) and variables(to store not only data but lines of code ?), is an interesting use of the interpreted nature of WebFOCUS.

Fascinating !

The cross platform JOINs is the BI "excuse" to buy into WebFOCUS though – that is a BIG problem out there with data in so many disparate formats – (actually data conversions are my specialty, but that’s another story)

Does any other BI do it all in one package (without having to hire me) ?
(Ok, you need to 'subscribe' to each adapter, but they’re there if you want 'em !)

WF 7.6.4 & 5.3
Charles Lee

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I'd add that being able to get to the code is a good feature of WebFocus. You can either work exclusively with the GUI, or you can get "underneath the covers" and work with the code for more complicated requests. I don't believe Crystal or Cognos (two of the other BI vendors) allow this option.

Data Migrator 5.3, 7.1, 7.6
WebFOCUS 7.1, 7.6, 7.7
SQL Server, Oracle, DB2
Windows

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Code generators (i.e. : "wizards" and the like) do let you get a lot done with less work, which is the plus side of the "80-20 rule."

The code can be a bit generic sometimes, but it works, and you can always tweak it yourself.

WebFOCUS even borders on "open source" since anyone can get into your code.

However, is this also the down-side for the same reason ?

Can WebFOCUS Code be protected from prying eyes (and hands) by compiling it ?

WF 7.6.4 & 5.3
Charles Lee

Expert
posted Hide Post
Instead of listing everything that I like about WebFOCUS, I'd like to add the following from "Government Computer News:

Louisiana takes a bite out of food stamp fraud:
@ http://www.gcn.com/print/23_23/26943-1.html

One program to read them all.
WebFocus reporting tool can handle practically any format @ http://www.gcn.com/print/26_20/44827-1.html.

Of course, as Susannah said so eloquently: DUDE, WE DO!!!!!!!!

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
A possible answer to Charles's question about prying eyes: WF procedures do not compile but they can be encrypted!

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
yeah like charlez im new to WF too (hence the name) and i'd second everything mnetioned above but include the use of DOS CMD - as this really makes it an all in one solution, ive seen some dead clever stuff which utilises this

i dunno if other BI languages do offer this, i'd be insterested to know if any articles do compare them in this way,

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm finding the re-usable "answer sets," in the HOLD files or saved to disk, to be most interesting and powerful aspect of WF.

yeah i actually shudder to think how i'd achieve some things with straight SQL, before i used focus i used to rely on an ill-concieved multiple view procedure which was a real pain to maintain- webfocus makes it so much easier with hold files...

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I would add using Report Caster as a scheduler. It has great flexibility and with pre-processing fexes, one can do very complex scheduling.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
hey yup fellas , you ppl rock..

BTW i dint c any comments from Tony in this topic Smiler..he s one wizard.. Big Grin ..The best part is as stated before you can work with the code too..this provides more flexibility and gives you a clear picture as to what is happening..

What lies beneath :P

WebFOCUS 714
Windows XP
Output: HTML,PDF,Excel

Expert
posted Hide Post
Arvind, Thanks for your kind words - I like to help those who are prepared to try and help themselves Smiler

As for comments on this subject? I don't think that there is much else to say. However I would totally agree that this Forum (IMHO) is one of the best resources for any programming language for the breadth of information readily available, and by working together we can make it even better, by replying when we are given solutions to our questions so that others following the thread can see that recommendations have had an impact. Even posting a snippet of code that resolved your question might help.

Revising a well known statement - Ask not just what the Forum can do for You, also Ask what You can do for the Forum Wink

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
So many good things already said,

How about:

External Styling (CSS)
Dialogue Manager
Invoke JavaScript
Link to an external system on another server
Dialogue Manager
Drills within EXCEL,PDF
-REPEAT
Dialogue Manager
Create your own DASHBOARD with TABS and access Active Directory for security
DataMigrator
PMF
1000 Data adapters

OK, I'm done...

Tom

P.S. Did I mention Dialogue Manager??? Music

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I agree with many of the previous comments, but have to add ReportCaster's Burst and Distribute functions.

It's great to be able to produce a report once, on a schedule, in the output format most useful to the user, then scatter e-mail it under control of a distribution list, and have each receipiant get not the whole report, but only the small part that carries their own sort key!

We use this every day tell all of our customers the status of every one of their open orders.

WIN/2K running WF 7.6.4
Development via DevStudio 7.6.4, MRE, TextEditor.
Data is Oracle, MS-SQL.

Posts: 154 | Location: NY | Registered: October 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It's easy to learn, English like code for those whose native tongue is English.

Very intuituve.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree WebFOCUS Rocks.
I have been using FOCUS for over 11 years now and have never had a situation that it could not handle.
In my experience if you are having a problem getting some data correctly the answer is a "Hold File" and there is always more than one way "To Skin the FOCUS Cat".
Unlike so many products it just keeps getting better with each new release.

WF Production Version - 7.7.03 WIN 7 Solaris Oracle 11g
WF Production Version - 8.0.83 Win 7 Oracle 11g and SQL Server 2008

Posts: 7 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: March 10, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Skin the FOCUS Cat
Sounds like another T-shirt slogan Smiler

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post