Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED]WF8 issue w/ chart legend colors

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED]WF8 issue w/ chart legend colors
 Login/Join

Master
posted
I am posting the problem I ran into while creating my 1st graph in WebFOCUS 8 and InfoAssist.

I created a graph which is a count of "Emergency" and "Inpatient" PATIENTs who were admitted in the last 30 days.

TABLE FILE MEDICALS
SUM
PATIENT_ID
BY ENCOUNTER_TYPE
WHERE ENCOUNTER_TYPE EQ 'Emergency' OR 'Inpatient';
END

The App Studio GUI created the chart with the default colors (GREEN = Emergency, YELLOW = Inpatient), so I used the traffic light condition tool to change the colors to the customer specification (RED = Emergency, BLUE = Inpatient).

When I made this change I hoped that the colors legend would change accordingly to RED and BLUE. Unfortunately the legend colors remained the same GREEN and YELLOW.

I have reviewed the WF manual, "Customizing Graphs with InfoAssist", and while it gives instructions for changing legend background colors, legend border colors, moving the legend around on the chart, I have not seen instructions for changing the legend axis colors.

Has anyone run into this problem w graphs in WF 8?

Any suggestions on how I could resolve this?

Thanks,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

Tomsweb
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M, 8.2.x
APP Studio, Developer Studio, InfoAssist, Dashboards, charts & reports
Apache Tomcat/8.0.36

Posts: 573 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: July 06, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
series: [

{series: 0, color: 'lightgreen'},
{series: 1, color: 'coral'},
{series: 2, color: 'lightblue'},
{series: 3, color: 'burlywood'}

]

in a JSCHART format chart

Tomsweb
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M, 8.2.x
Apache Tomcat/8.0.36

Posts: 573 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: July 06, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Tom,

Your example code does not give two series, only one. I would also always suggest that you try and reproduce your issue with one of the sample tables if you can, using that as your example. That way, everyone (that wishes to) can try it to see the issue. It would also form the basis of any case that you might want to raise.

Having said that, your issue is that you are using traffic light conditioning instead of changing the series colour.

To do this, go to the series tab (or click on one of the bars) and then choose one of your series in the drop down at the left of the menu (defaults to all series). Now click on the "Style" icon alongside the drop down and change the colour to your chosen colour. Do the same for the second series and run.

This should now all be OK.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Hi Tony,

Allow me to graciously thank you. As you see I am experiencing difficulty in getting
my 1st graph to result as I hope it will.

I have reviewed your replies and I have a question. In both of my queries to FOCALPOINT
I have presented the following code:

Old Approach - resulting in a single series graph

TABLE FILE MEDICALS
SUM
PATIENT_ID
BY ENCOUNTER_TYPE
WHERE ENCOUNTER_TYPE EQ 'Emergency' OR 'Inpatient';
END

Which you've said is a single series graph. When I reviewed your sample code to demonstrate
that drill down hover code works, you have presented a graph of the GGSALES table.

In my medicals data table the PATIENT_ID field is an alpha field, but I sould be able to
code it like the following to make it a multi-series graph.

New Approach - resulting in a multi series graph
Define file medicals
Series1/d12.2 = if encounter_type eq 'Emergency' THEN PATIENT_ID ELSE 0;
Series2/d12.2 = if encounter_type eq 'Inpatient' THEN PATIENT_ID ELSE 0;
End

Table File medicals
sum series1 series2
by date
where encounter_type in ('Emergency', 'Inpatient');
End

So, after considering the OLD and NEW approaches could the my old approach be why I had to use
Traffic Light Conditioning to change the color rather than changing the series color?

Is there any advantage to make my graphs into multi-series graphs? If so, what is the rationale
for that?

Thank you,

Tomsweb
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M, 8.2.x
Apache Tomcat/8.0.36

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Tom,

The traffic light conditional styling is normally for changing the style elements depending upon the value of a sort field, and the lack of "real" series of data is, maybe, why your previous approach required you to use this method.

For my money, it would be better to create multiple series (buckets!), such that the colouration of those series is easier(?) to achieve using standard methods.

Not wishing to open the flood gates that is the argument between code and GUI, I can understand why this approach can be the one that develops in using the GUI - being a late comer to the interface! Wink - I still sometimes have to hunt for the control that I need in the GUI when I know that I could manually code what I need faster.

I will state that, when I use the GUI consistently(?) then I can develop fairly rapidly - but then, as always, familiarity is the key.

Good luck!

T

* Summit 2016 – June 13-17 in Reno, Nevada - http://www.informationbuilders.com/events/summit
* Are you going to Summit in Reno this year? See you there!

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Amen to so much of your commentary as I'm wearing a robe in that choir. While I'm getting more familiar with GUI code method I still find the textual approach to be superior, and the IBI documentation is a real estate egg hunt.

Cheers

Tomsweb
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M, 8.2.x
Apache Tomcat/8.0.36

Master
posted Hide Post
Tony,

I followed your directions to “go to the Series tab….(or click on one of the bars) and change the color to chosen color”, and it worked nicely.

After adding the report heading and other style nuances, the RED data point turned from Red to Black. I’ve tried numerous times to change the color back to Red, and when I open the color picker it still displays that I had chosen Red. From there I am unable to change it.

Now the other data point has converted from Blue to Black.

Am I crazy?

Thanks

Tomsweb
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M, 8.2.x
Apache Tomcat/8.0.36

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I crazy?

No more than the rest of us I reckon Wink

Not sure what is going on but I would be inclined to look at the resultant code and possible stylesheet conflicts.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986