Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     code description lookup in master using Oracle

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
code description lookup in master using Oracle
 Login/Join

posted
Here is the problem. I have two Oracle tables. One has various fields that contain code values. The other table is a Code Table Entry table, so it contains the code table id, code table value and code table description for all fields that are a code type of field. I want my MRE users to be able to drop and drag either the code or the description to their report so I want something like a code lookup in a DEFINE field in the master.

Problem is that the code table id is not available in a "real" field to use in a JOIN or Cross Ref in the master. For example, the field in the master for table 1 called CHANGE_ORDER_T is supported by entries in the Code Table Entry table where the TBL_ID = "MODTYPE".

In SQL I would be doing something like:

select CONT_ID, C_O_NBR, C_O_T, CD_DESC from dssdba.t_cont_co a, dssdba.t_cd_tbl_dtl b
where (a.cont_id = 'T2027') and (b.TBL_ID = 'MODTYPE') and (a.c_o_t = b.CD_ID);

CONT_ID C_O C_O_ CD_DESC
--------------- --- ---- ----------------------------------------
T2027 001 SA Supplemental Aggreement
T2027 002 SA Supplemental Aggreement
T2027 003 WE Weather Days Time Granted

TABLE 1

FILE=TABLE1, SUFFIX=SQLORA
SEGNAME=OT004, SEGTYPE=S0, $
FIELD=CONTRACT_ID, ALIAS=CONT_ID, USAGE=A15, ACTUAL=A15, $
FIELD=CHANGE_ORDER_ID, ALIAS=C_O_NBR, USAGE=A3, ACTUAL=A3, $
FIELD=CHANGE_ORDER_T, ALIAS=C_O_T, USAGE=A4, ACTUAL=A4, TITLE='Change,Order,Type', DESCRIPTION='Type of Change Order', $
FIELD=REASON_T, ALIAS=REAS_T, USAGE=A4, ACTUAL=A4, $
FIELD=CHANGE_ORDER_DESC, ALIAS=CHNG_DESC, USAGE=A60, ACTUAL=A60, $

TABLE 2

FILE=cd_tbl_dtl, SUFFIX=SQLORA,
SEGNAME=OT038, SEGTYPE=S0, $
FIELD=TBL_ID, ALIAS=TBL_ID, USAGE=A8, ACTUAL=A8, $
FIELD=CD_ID, ALIAS=CD_ID, USAGE=A4, ACTUAL=A4, $
FIELD=CD_DESC, ALIAS=CD_DESC, USAGE=A40, ACTUAL=A40, $

We are in a Windows environment (WF5.2.7) and I wanted to know if anyone has developed a User Written Sub-routine in say VB that has done anything like this? Or, if anyone has another technique.

We could do it with an Oracle view but that is not an option at this time.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Can you use views?

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
At this time, it would take longer to go thru all of the red-tape to get an Oracle view created. Here you have to go thru DA to document the view and then get DBA Tech guys to create it, etc. Then you have to do the change to the master. There are about 100 tables to do this for. In the long term we are going to be putting this information in a data warehouse structure where we will store the descriptions, de-normalize, summarize, etc. But that will take a while. In the short term, since I can update the masters with no red-tape..... I was looking for a quick fix.

Master
posted Hide Post
karenv,

I think you might be able to do this with a combination of a WebFOCUS cluster Join, and WebFOCUS DBA Level Security. You could join the tables together and then add DBA level security to automaictly (under the covers) restrict the value of TBL_ID to MODTYPE without the users knowing.

posted Hide Post
I tried the Cluster Join and it appears that the problem is that the Join doesn't like the DEFINE for the TBL_ID.