Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] branching on FOCERRNUM not working

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] branching on FOCERRNUM not working
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi All

Simple thing ... trying to detect a focerrnum and branch to an error routine. Like a try ... catch.

But the branching is never run. Basically the fex stops completely when it encounters the error.

example below I am passing a bad date "A20140101" and getting the expected error

(FOC36355) INVALID TYPE OF ARGUMENT #1 FOR USER FUNCTION DATECVT

But My test never runs

-IF &FOCERRNUM NE 0 THEN GOTO DATE_ERROR;

So bottom line... how can I tell the fex to keep going when there is an error... I will handle it. I tried SET MESSAGE = OFF.

thx

Jodye

-SET &MYDATE='A20140101';
-SET &X= DATECVT(&MYDATE, 'I8YYMD', 'YYMD');
-IF &FOCERRNUM NE 0 THEN GOTO DATE_ERROR;
-RUN

-GOTO ALL_DONE;

-DATE_ERROR;
-TYPE BAD DATE

-ALL_DONE
-TYPE ALL DONE DATE IS &X

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WF 8.0.0.5M

Posts: 246 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: October 01, 2003Report This Post
<Kathryn Henning>
posted
Hi Jodye,

Please try the following:

-* File aa.fex
-SET &ECHO=ALL;
-SET &ERR = CHKFMT(8, &MYDATE  , '99999999', 'I3');
-IF &ERR EQ 1 THEN GOTO DATE_ERROR;
-SET &X= DATECVT(&MYDATE, 'I8YYMD', 'YYMD');
-EXIT
-RUN
-DATE_ERROR
-TYPE DATE IS INVALID
-EXIT

Cheers!

Kathryn

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Jodye,

Keep in mind that some errors will stop processing of the code immediately.

This is one of them, this typically happens at a dialog manager level, and from my perspective, its usually at a function call.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Yes that is what I am trying to catch. Nothing should totally stop processing like that. No matter what the error is in a function call, I expect to be able to catch it and continue. I opened a case...

WF 8.0.0.5M

Posts: 246 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: October 01, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
If you get an answer, please post it back.

I think we would all like to know.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Dialogue Manager does have this habit of stopping processing on an error. However, if this calculation were to be in a DEFINE or COMPUTE, it is expected that an error would be trapped. So how about:

DEFINE FUNCTION CHECK (INPUT/A10)
CHECK/YYMD = DATECVT(INPUT, 'A8YYMD', 'YYMD');
END
-RUN

-SET &X= CHECK(&MYDATE);
-IF &X EQ 0 THEN GOTO DATE_ERROR;

-GOTO ALL_DONE;

-DATE_ERROR;
-TYPE BAD DATE
-EXIT

-ALL_DONE
-TYPE ALL DONE DATE IS &X
-EXIT

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Alan!

Wow fantastic solution. I never knew you could call a user defined func from DM like that.

Thanks!

WF 8.0.0.5M